WWorld of Neopia - GAME THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
random rant....

not sure which I think i dislike more...

someone missing a lynch because they are unavailable and can't vote,
or
someone with no time to play, comes on and votes at random or with the crowd.

The way the LIS rule goes, we have the cultural thing to support the second thing as "well, at least they came on and voted"

however, we have seen repeatedly these lynches coming down to 1 or 2 votes, often with some rapid movement at the last moment. But, these random going with the crowd votes can really weigh down and prevent and sort of last minute moving, that I personally think that I'd prefer people who can't read thru the thread and come up with a reason, even if it, after reading the thread comes up with is "I got nothing, I'll join the bandwagon", then at least we can get some information to make these lynches less random and more based on information...

tl;dr :p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
you are lucky you A) aren't playing and B) you just finished your tests

I think my adrenal glands have stopped overproducing cortisol now.

The amount of inner peace I am feeling right now is amazing. :)

Now just waiting to hear from Cyndia if she needs help modding at all, then I can also make fun of all of the players too... :shifty:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think my adrenal glands have stopped overproducing cortisol now.

The amount of inner peace I am feeling right now is amazing. :)

Now just waiting to hear from Cyndia if she needs help modding at all, then I can also make fun of all of the players too... :shifty:
i think she said she wanted help...

may god have mercy on our soles

Sorry, guys! I've been moving everything out of my room today! Lynch Mdream.

random rant....

or

The way the LIS rule goes, we have the cultural thing to support the second thing as "well, at least they came on and voted"

however, we have seen repeatedly these lynches coming down to 1 or 2 votes, often with some rapid movement at the last moment. But, these random going with the crowd votes can really weigh down and prevent and sort of last minute moving, that I personally think that I'd prefer people who can't read thru the thread and come up with a reason, even if it, after reading the thread comes up with is "I got nothing, I'll join the bandwagon", then at least we can get some information to make these lynches less random and more based on information...

I wish this would make a difference, but I feel like we're stuck with this.

Flailing around until a bandwagon randomly stumbles onto something because half the people playing aren't posting.

argh

random rant....

or

Ok.... disclaimer... I am gonna sound like JDH and DocE, which kills me to say, but I have to say my piece....

I am not digging the WW dynamic in the last few games I have been involved in (mod or play). It seems to me that the old-timers are mostly pretty busy, but in addition they have been so overly critical of the talkative noobs that it seems to me the experience-challenged players are not contributing much. I think the criticism of the noobs was over-board (not to mention hypocritical), and TBH I prefer the WW101 etc games where there was more participation. I'd rather too much nonsense, than .....<crickets> A lot more people than usual are playing who understandably don't have much time to contribute, and it is really a drag.

The last game I modded was an utter disappointment in participation, and that was long before final season, so I don't want to hear that excuse. Finals should stop people from signing up, not participating.

There.... I am in the running to take the grumpies old man title from JDH.... but, it is not that "it was better in the old days"... well maybe it was... but by old days I mean 3 months ago.

Reactions: 5 users
Toodaloo villagers! No more foot rubs, licking , hair taking , sniffing and staring through windows. Haha.

It's been fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok.... disclaimer... I am gonna sound like JDH and DocE, which kills me to say, but I have to say my piece....

I am not digging the WW dynamic in the last few games I have been involved in (mod or play). It seems to me that the old-timers are mostly pretty busy, but in addition they have been so overly critical of the talkative noobs that it seems to me the experience-challenged players are not contributing much. I think the criticism of the noobs was over-board (not to mention hypocritical), and TBH I prefer the WW101 etc games where there was more participation. I'd rather too much nonsense, than .....<crickets> A lot more people than usual are playing who understandably don't have much time to contribute, and it is really a drag.

The last game I modded was an utter disappointment in participation, and that was long before final season, so I don't want to hear that excuse. Finals should stop people from signing up, not participating.

There.... I am in the running to take the grumpies old man title from JDH.... but, it is not that "it was better in the old days"... well maybe it was... but by old days I mean 3 months ago.
i agree with you, and I think we are talking about two of the same things.

I'd rather the vote come down to 12 people playing attention's vote vs those last 8 people busy for the day not being able to vote.

Now, I know people get busy from day to day, and if you are going to miss multiple days, then i think don't sign up. If you are going to miss 1 day, I'D prefer they just abstain from voting if they aren't voting for a reason (if you have a suspicion or a hunch, then feel free to do your contingency, but how many votes today were "I have no time to catch up, I'll just lynch whoever evvryone else is lynching").

But I agree, there is definitely some WW fatigue going on in general, but you did miss a great lounge game by Dyachei/Devyn where I think the participation was top notch... so the world of WW hasn't collapsed ;)

i agree with you, and I think we are talking about two of the same things.

I'd rather the vote come down to 12 people playing attention's vote vs those last 8 people busy for the day not being able to vote.

Now, I know people get busy from day to day, and if you are going to miss multiple days, then i think don't sign up. If you are going to miss 1 day, I'D prefer they just abstain from voting if they aren't voting for a reason (if you have a suspicion or a hunch, then feel free to do your contingency, but how many votes today were "I have no time to catch up, I'll just lynch whoever evvryone else is lynching").

But I agree, there is definitely some WW fatigue going on in general, but you did miss a great lounge game by Dyachei/Devyn where I think the participation was top notch... so the world of WW hasn't collapsed ;)
Sure rub it in....

And I completely agree, I think the FH rule is starting to backfire now, as people feel compelled to throw a vote in just to avoid a violation. It is against the spirit of the rule.

I would probably separate out voting and posting requirements... requiring people to regularly CONTRIBUTE, not just vote.

Just a note from a silly noob.....but I try to be active when y'all aren't lynching me on day two :p

Reactions: 1 users
After losing their beloved Illusen last night, the neopets are clamouring for justice. There doesn't seem to be any real direction to the accusations, and eventually eyes start turning to Mdreamaker. "He's been way too quiet!" Accuses one neopet. The others chime in, in agreement, and despite mdreams attempts to defend himself, the neopets grab and drag him to the haunted woods, where they force him to eat garlic until his stomach explodes. Owch.

180px-Count_von_roo.gif

Dead is Count Von Roo, resident creep. :(

It is now Night 7. Deadline is slightly earlier at 830am EST/130pm GMT. Get in your actions now to make me a happy mod!

And I wouldn't expect the lounge to have the same messed up dynamics as here. There are always going to be a much lower % of noobs, and pre-vets in the lounge games than here (although both are always creeping up).

I agree and I think this has likely happened....

However

All of us (besides those that started at the very beginning perhaps) went through a critical period where if you said something that made no sense, you were called on it. Eventually through this and reading arguments made by other players, the newer players were able to become more proficient.

So while I think that a few are quieter now because of criticism, that doesn't mean I think it's particularly helpful to them in becoming better players, not to mention detrimental to the game.

After losing their beloved Illusen last night, the neopets are clamouring for justice. There doesn't seem to be any real direction to the accusations, and eventually eyes start turning to Mdreamaker. "He's been way too quiet!" Accuses one neopet. The others chime in agreement, and despite mdreams attempts to defend himself, the neopets grab and drag him to the haunted woods, where they force him to eat garlic until his stomach explodes. Owch.

180px-Count_von_roo.gif

Dead is Count Von Roo, resident creep. :(

It is now Night 7. Deadline is slightly earlier at 830am EST/130pm GMT. Get in your actions now to make me a happy mod!
Is this a bad creepy person? Or just a villager with a bad personality?

And I wouldn't expect the lounge to have the same messed up dynamics as here. There are always going to be a much lower % of noobs, and pre-vets in the lounge games than here (although both are always creeping up).
there were actually a few noobs in the last lounge game, so I don't blame the noobs on it.

like you said, i don't notice a pattern in the lack of participation in the noobs or originals. Might be the originals this game are more vet students and less pre-vets and are mired in finals... maybe not... who knows

Just a note from a silly noob.....but I try to be active when y'all aren't lynching me on day two :p

Lol I was as well. I think it's hard in the beginning though when you don't have a darn clue who wolves may be, and in these games no one in groups seems to talk to each other - in the clockwork game group PMs were super important. Maybe I'm rambling but my point is when no one is talking it's hard to pick a wolf and then a bandwagon forms at the end when a few people throw stuff out there. So I think it would be more fun if more people were actively participating instead of being too scared to get called a wolf or a stupid n00b.

Reactions: 2 users
I'll work off of what TP said and add some. In the first WW game I played, there was a lot of communication between members in the PM group, but recently I feel like PM chat has nearly stopped existing, whether everyone is too scared to say something or because of other reasons. And that affects information that gets passed around.

Me, unless I have something that I think is important to say or I need to defend my spoiled self, I'm gonna stay quiet and try to read other people, because I'm afraid if I do come out and say something, I'm gonna get insta-lynched. Which is why earlier in this game, I didn't say anything about TV revealing to me after she died because I didn't want to get lynched/reveal her to the wolves.

Hearing what a couple friends went through in the noob games, and in STLs NY game, as far as the heightened level of communication goes, I wish there was that dynamic in the games like this one, where noobs and vets are co-mingling.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree. I stay quiet because I like to observe. I observe both in real life and online. Unless I have something to say. So unless I have something important, I'm not going to say anything because I don't really know anyone yet, so I wouldn't just talk to talk. I've also seen some newbs get ridiculed for almost everything they say so I'm kind of nervous about saying something just on a whim and not built on any hard facts. I know that's partly my fault, as I kind of need to learn to put myself out there and learn through getting made fun of, but it just sucks knowing if you say something that sounds good to you, but not everyone else, you'll get immediately lynched. It's alright though. I guess I can just keep trying regardless of how I feel. Maybe it would help me learn more..?

Reactions: 3 users
I agree. I stay quiet because I like to observe. I observe both in real life and online. Unless I have something to say. So unless I have something important, I'm not going to say anything because I don't really know anyone yet, so I wouldn't just talk to talk. I've also seen some newbs get ridiculed for almost everything they say so I'm kind of nervous about saying something just on a whim and not built on any hard facts. I know that's partly my fault, as I kind of need to learn to put myself out there and learn through getting made fun of, but it just sucks knowing if you say something that sounds good to you, but not everyone else, you'll get immediately lynched. It's alright though. I guess I can just keep trying regardless of how I feel. Maybe it would help me learn more..?

This. Completely agree with you

Dang, no wonder we don't know anything. In the 101 game we didn't have PM groups but the thread was so chatty it kinda made up for it. I tend to PM with one or two people and only occasionally with the whole group, but I'm usually communicating with someone.
I know for me personally I haven't been intimidated into silence, I've just had work so I tend to prioritize reading the thread over posting. Maybe I shouldn't have signed up to play, but if I go by that logic I won't be able to play all summer and I don't want that to happen.
Also, I definitely did not expect my shot in the dark vote to turn into such a huge bandwagon...I agree that was way way too many people just going with the majority and not putting any thought into it. That part does remind me of the 101 game :rolleyes:

I always think it's more useful to say something, even if you think it might be ridiculed, than to keep it to yourself. If it's something that makes sense to others, it sparks useful discussion. If not, you might learn what types of lines of thought aren't useful.

But then, I've been killed by wolves more often than I've been lynched, so I guess I just don't have the same reservations :shrug:

I agree that was way way too many people just going with the majority and not putting any thought into it. That part does remind me of the 101 game :rolleyes:
Shade!

There's some hesitancy in private communication too?

In regards to communicating more in PMs....If you want to PM, then PM. You have to put yourself out there a lot of the time and give a little to get a little.

Some of us are bigger talkers then others, sure. But it doesn't always have to be about role information, even just suspicions. I think I probably PM more with no role since that's all I have to further the villager cause.

There's no reason you can't be more talkative with other newer players if that's who you're comfortable with.

But ***something*** has to give here. We can't keep going along and not discussing anything in the open and expect something is just going to happen or wait for a wolf to be delivered on a silver platter. It will always benefit the wolves for us to be too afraid to communicate. Just make sure you are careful about it, that's all.

Reactions: 4 users
I always think it's more useful to say something, even if you think it might be ridiculed, than to keep it to yourself. If it's something that makes sense to others, it sparks useful discussion. If not, you might learn what types of lines of thought aren't useful.

But then, I've been killed by wolves more often than I've been lynched, so I guess I just don't have the same reservations :shrug:

Yeah, that's basically what I'm saying. That it's partly my fault for not putting myself out there more, but at the same time, it wouldn't hurt to be ridiculed just a bit less extreme. I mean I understand making fun of the newbs and helping them learn if they say something completely illogical. But I've seen a couple times where someone had a fairly good point, but was off on one piece of info that made everyone jump on them. I'm taking the responsibility, just bringing up the point that it would be nice to feel a little more comfortable sharing any and all ideas.

And I have noticed that the newb-shaming has really died down a lot. So it's been an easier time to be a newb. :)

And I have noticed that the newb-shaming has really died down a lot. So it's been an easier time to be a newb. :)

It's because you're getting better, not because we're any easier on you. So there's that. :)

Dang, no wonder we don't know anything. In the 101 game we didn't have PM groups but the thread was so chatty it kinda made up for it. I tend to PM with one or two people and only occasionally with the whole group, but I'm usually communicating with someone.
I know for me personally I haven't been intimidated into silence, I've just had work so I tend to prioritize reading the thread over posting. Maybe I shouldn't have signed up to play, but if I go by that logic I won't be able to play all summer and I don't want that to happen.
Also, I definitely did not expect my shot in the dark vote to turn into such a huge bandwagon...I agree that was way way too many people just going with the majority and not putting any thought into it. That part does remind me of the 101 game :rolleyes:

Just stop making ties and you'll do alright :laugh:

Last edited:
Sometimes it seems difficult to discern where the line is between sharing information to help villagers and sharing too much information with the shooty-nosied wolves

Sometimes it seems difficult to discern where the line is between sharing information to help villagers and sharing too much information with the shooty-nosied wolves
Unless it pertains specifically to a very important villager role, I don't think there are many times that having info out there is more helpful to the wolves than to the villagers. The more experienced players can correct me if I'm wrong, but in my experience the more info the villagers have, the more likely they are to catch a wolf trying to hide behind misinformation and deception.

Reactions: 1 users
My fear with sharing in the main thread is always putting a target on my back, especially when I have a fairly important role which seems to keep happening lol

My fear with sharing in the main thread is always putting a target on my back, especially when I have a fairly important role which seems to keep happening lol
My method for this in Pangea was to talk to two people in my group and only those two about my role, and make sure each knows that I've told the other. That way if one is a wolf and I end up dead, the other knows who to look at. If the wolves seem to be getting info that must have come from me, I know that one of my confidants is probably wolfy. There is a chance that both are wolves, in which case you're just SOL I guess. But chances are one of them has a less vital role, so they can get your info out on the thread and you (hopefully) don't get targeted. Eventually I kind of adjusted to confiding more in one than the other based on my read of their behavior in our interactions and in the game as a whole.

The best thing is if you're an affiliation seer and you can just clear one of your group members, and hope you're not unlucky enough to have happened to choose an unseerable wolf.

Exactly this. I love to read through and observe things, and I don't really want to post just for the sake of posting. And at this point (in this game and in general for WW), I honestly feel like I don't have anything important to say, or anything new to contribute to the discussion. Maybe it's because I'm really bad at reading people or that I'm still new, but I'm having a hard time discerning if someone is suspicious based on postings alone (unless it's obvious), and since I'm not sure myself, I'm hesitant to post especially since there has been a trend of insta-lynching someone if they say something someone else finds odd or doesn't agree with.

That being said, I do agree that I should post more (on PMs as well), and not be so hesitant, because I realize that even a small suspicion can spark a discussion that could catch a wolf.