WWYD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredr93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am determined to go to medical school and am trying to figure out the best course to get there. I do not want to do DO, so please don't suggest that as an option. I am considering taking 1 year to 2 years off and taking more undergraduate courses to boost my GPA or doing an SMP. I am also considering doing a research assistant position after I graduate and taking a few classes in the summer.

What would you recommend based on the following stats:

Rec Letter- supervisor from work, dean, 2 science professors and a psych professor

CGPA: 3.46
SGPA:3.2 (A few C's)

* Retaking ochem 2 in summer 2015

Volunteer tutor- 3 hours per week for the past 2 years

Volunteer Children with Autism- 10 hours per month

Research experience on 2 psychology projects

Assisted with educational research

Paper published in peer reviewed undergraduate research journal

Pathways Program intern at government agency(5 years)

Volunteer at Health Clinic (50 hours)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am determined to go to medical school and am trying to figure out the best course to get there. I do not want to do DO, so please don't suggest that as an option. I am considering taking 1 year to 2 years off and taking more undergraduate courses to boost my GPA or doing an SMP. I am also considering doing a research assistant position after I graduate and taking a few classes in the summer.

What would you recommend based on the following stats:

Rec Letter- supervisor from work, dean, 2 science professors and a psych professor

CGPA: 3.46
SGPA:3.2 (A few C's)

* Retaking ochem 2 in summer 2015

Volunteer tutor- 3 hours per week for the past 2 years

Volunteer Children with Autism- 10 hours per month

Research experience on 2 psychology projects

Assisted with educational research

Paper published in peer reviewed undergraduate research journal

Pathways Program intern at government agency(5 years)

Volunteer at Health Clinic (50 hours)
If you get a strong MCAT score, say the equivalent of 33+, can afford a true SMP (where you compete with current med students for grades, ideally with linkage), and earn a GPA of 3.7+, chances are decent, though not guaranteed, you'd get into a US MD school.

Taking 30 hours of straight-A, upper-level science, stats, and some retaken coursework might do the job as well, but is less sure and could take longer. Can you figure out what 30 semester hours of A would do for your BCPM GPA?

If you get a strong MCAT score, say the equivalent of 33+, can afford a true SMP (where you compete with current med students for grades, ideally with linkage), and earn a GPA of 3.7+, chances are decent, though not guaranteed, you'd get into a US MD school.

Taking 30 hours of straight-A, upper-level science, stats, and some retaken coursework might do the job as well, but is less sure and could take longer. Can you figure out what 30 semester hours of A would do for your BCPM GPA?

If I got 30 hours of straight A's, it would take me to around a high 3.5 BCPM. I have already taken 2 stats courses and gotten A's in them.

Reactions: 1 user