Xavier Pharmacy Five Year Appeal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PegNerd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I want to apply to Xavier University of New Orleans for pharmacy and they have a five year limit on classes. When I apply, it will be exactly five years since I have taken a few of my courses (chemistry to be exact). They said we are allowed to fill out an appeal form in order to appeal those classes. He also suggested that the appeal may be denied if I have not used those courses in my life since then (research/ volunteer work I am guessing). I just want to know if anyone here has gone through this or anything similar? Any advice/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

take the class at a local community college -if you have half a brain you will get an A - problem solved

Thank you for replying but no need to be rude

Members don't see this ad :)
Forget the class, go get your chemistry book, self study for three months then pay the $70 to take the CLEP exam at your local CC college (make certain they give full credit for a year worth of chemistry 8 credits) and use that to cover the requirement. Make certain that your COP accepts CLEP credit (most do) before you do any of this! This is an alternative in case the appeal does not work.

Forget the class, go get your chemistry book, self study for three months then pay the $70 to take the CLEP exam at your local CC college (make certain they give full credit for a year worth of chemistry 8 credits) and use that to cover the requirement. Make certain that your COP accepts CLEP credit (most do) before you do any of this! This is an alternative in case the appeal does not work.
if they take CLEP credit - yes - that is the best option - not sure how many schools will take that or not? (Not my area of expertise)

Definitely check. I was in the same situation and had to take the classes because my school does not accept CLEP

Hey everyone! So I want to apply to Xavier University of New Orleans for pharmacy and they have a five year limit on classes. When I apply, it will be exactly five years since I have taken a few of my courses (chemistry to be exact). They said we are allowed to fill out an appeal form in order to appeal those classes. He also suggested that the appeal may be denied if I have not used those courses in my life since then (research/ volunteer work I am guessing). I just want to know if anyone here has gone through this or anything similar? Any advice/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Did they end up accepting/approving your appeal form for your courses?

take the class at a local community college -if you have half a brain you will get an A - problem solved

Seriously? "If you have half a brain, you will get an A"....

Community college or not, retaking core science classes is not a walk in the park. It's not easy to go and pick up an A in general chemistry and organic like flipping on a light switch.

Maybe everyone's not a savant like you. Geez.

Seriously? "If you have half a brain, you will get an A"....

Community college or not, retaking core science classes is not a walk in the park. It's not easy to go and pick up an A in general chemistry and organic like flipping on a light switch.

Maybe everyone's not a savant like you. Geez.

Have you tried? I did. It was a cakewalk. If you can read a periodic table, balance reactions and know what protons, neutrons and electrons are going in, you will be at the top of most community college classes.

Also, nobody said organic.

Have you tried? I did. It was a cakewalk. If you can read a periodic table, balance reactions and know what protons, neutrons and electrons are going in, you will be at the top of most community college classes.

Also, nobody said organic.

"a few of my courses (chemistry to be exact)." -- A few classes at a community college for someone who may be working full time is a little more than knowing how to read a periodic table. Let's not be ridiculous.

"a few of my courses (chemistry to be exact)." -- A few classes at a community college for someone who may be working full time is a little more than knowing how to read a periodic table. Let's not be ridiculous.
Are you asserting that your speculation outweighs my experience of taking multiple classes simultaneously at community colleges while working full time?

As someone who also took core science classes at community college while working full time as a tech, i agree with zelman

The classes are a joke if you are used to university course work. I showed up to class, did my homework, studied a few hours before each exam. Highest grade in class

Also keep it mind, you are RETAKING the course. You should at least be familiar with most concepts.

I don't think you ever took any courses at community college PharmacistReb. Classes are weighted and you are mostly competing against people who had a hard time getting a B in high school.