Xavier University College of Pharmacy C/O 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi I Got my acceptance letter too. statistics PCAT:46:3.4 and from HOUSTON TX. I am looking for an apt.please i need help for a safe place.

Members don't see this ad.

We should all meet up and do a happy dance lol ^_^

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I heard that they were in a block schedule now. Anyone know how this works or what this really means?

A good friend of mine is a P2 right now and she said that the "block" schedule is basically replacing the normal way of scheduling, in which students used to be able to choose which classes and times they wanted. Now, with block scheduling, the school gives you two options, Block 1 or Block 2. Each block is a schedule of classes already chosen by the school. Same classes but organized differently. Also, the earliest class you have starts at 9am. This is because all tests are at 8am. This is the best that I can describe it based on my friend's responses.

A good friend of mine is a P2 right now and she said that the "block" schedule is basically replacing the normal way of scheduling, in which students used to be able to choose which classes and times they wanted. Now, with block scheduling, the school gives you two options, Block 1 or Block 2. Each block is a schedule of classes already chosen by the school. Same classes but organized differently. Also, the earliest class you have starts at 9am. This is because all tests are at 8am. This is the best that I can describe it based on my friend's responses.

Thanks so much that does help! Sent in my offer acceptance getting excited! Do any of y'all have to do the pre-matriculation program?

I got my acceptance letter on Tuesday, I am very exciited. I am in the process of looking for a place to live. I am looking forward to meeting everyone this year.

Lghazi99

does anyone know if theres a facebook page for our class? if not, we should def make one! =)

I don't think there is I have been looking! I'm not sure how to do it or I would!

Hey!! Is anyone submitting the transfer credit evaluation form? If so when do you plan on submitting it or do you know when we can?

Where are you transferring from? Am I missing something? Did we have to fill out a form?

Members don't see this ad :)
No there is a form that if you have taken courses in the last two years and have received a B or better you can submit this form to earn transfer credit for those courses. Like I took Anatomy and Physiology and statistics so I'm going to submit that form and hope I can get the credit and not have to take them again!

Hi, Has anybody received an award letter for student loans for next fall for the pharmacy program.?

Does anyone know if P1's are suppose to register for classes this week? I've been looking around on the website and it allows you to look at the classes for Fall P1's. The rest of the pharmacy school is registering so I was unsure. Also some of the classes we are suppose to take have people registered in them already. I just didn't want to not do something I was suppose to do!

Does anyone know if P1's are suppose to register for classes this week? I've been looking around on the website and it allows you to look at the classes for Fall P1's. The rest of the pharmacy school is registering so I was unsure. Also some of the classes we are suppose to take have people registered in them already. I just didn't want to not do something I was suppose to do!
I emailed Dr. Allen who is the associate dean of student affairs. He said the Office of Student Affairs will complete the schedules for P1 students coming in Fall 2013.

Hi, I have max out my undergraduate student loan.please is is possible for Xavier to consider those who max out undergraduate student loan for graduate student loan.thanks.

On the email the college of pharmacy sent out this morning, was anyone able to open the link that was attached for that brochure? If so, help! I couldn't get it to open!

I'm not sure if I'm late on replying but there's a temporary link on the cop page on the left. I had to email them to let them know the lil was broken, hope ur able to open it now.

If anyone is interested they posted schedules on banner web! It's becoming real to me now!! Anyone here have to do the pre-matriculation program??

I looked at my schedule and it says some classes start on Jul 1, 2013. Is that correct?

I was just checking mine as well and was wondering the same thing!

I'm really sure it's just a system glitch. Cause how can you have Biostat drill a month and a half before Biostat lec lol. All fall classes should start Aug 26.

Hey I saw that too with the july 1 start date. But they do have the pre program that they are doing starting in July so maybe thats why? Also JessPharm I am doing that pre program.

I don't have to go to that pre program but from what I gather, all it is is like an "intro" to all the classes you're going to take the first semester so you can get a feel of what to expect and to refresh yourselves of the basics, assignments included. Dates appear to be Jul 8 - Aug 2 in the brochure.

Hi I Got my acceptance letter too. statistics PCAT:46:3.4 and from HOUSTON TX. I am looking for an apt.please i need help for a safe place.

Sorry I just noticed this and I know it's late but I hope I can still help. My friend moved around a lot so I'll try to provide the best information from what she experienced and my observations.

It's best to look for an apt in Metairie since you'll have many options and it's a safer area. Natchez Landing Apartments seems like a nice, clean and secure place. Parking is abundant and there's key access into the buildings so not anyone can just go in. Tonti Apartments also has buildings in this same area (by Cleary Ave and W Napoleon Ave) that seem nice as well. Tonti is also on the other side of Veterans Blvd, on Edenborn Ave. These apartments are cheaper and more spacious but at some buildings, neighbors can be loud, parking is a pain, and they're not in an enclosed building. Driving from these Metairie apartments to Xavier is about a 15-20 min drive.

There's also Marquis Apartments in mid city New Orleans on Poydras St which are newer apartments and are pricier. There's a bit more security with a gated parking area for residents, key access to the elevator after 10pm, and an alarm system for each apt. A friend lived there for a while but her roommate is still there in the top floor of the main building, and I say it's pretty cozy and decent. However, there is a mix of nice and shady tenants and it's next to some seafood or garbage drop off place that sometimes smell bad. Driving to Xavier is about a 5-8 min drive. It's also that close to the heart of downtown.

Finally, avoid Xavier dorms at all cost lol. You'll be paying too much for a small subpar dorm, an unsafe area, and a curfew.

Good luck in your search (and any other OOS's) for a new home. :)

Is anyone still looking for a roommate or a place to live? I have been looking but am worried about living by myself in a city I do not know too well! If anyone is still looking for a roommate or knows someone looking, please let me know!

In the P1 brochure it has a list of things to be completed by July 1st. Has anyone completed their CPR certification and background check already? The instructions in the brochure says the background check costs $70.00 but on the website it says $105.00. Has anyone else noticed this?

Yeah, it's actually 105. I uploaded what I could but most of the due date on the background check on its website not due till aug. And yes, I recently did my CPR 2 weeks ago, have you? If you need help in getting CPR I can show you where I got mines at.

Yeah, it's actually 105. I uploaded what I could but most of the due date on the background check on its website not due till aug. And yes, I recently did my CPR 2 weeks ago, have you? If you need help in getting CPR I can show you where I got mines at.

What is the website's due date exactly? I called the PEP office yesterday about when and she said it has to be done before registration day. So I'm curious if that website's date is the same.

And did you get your CPR done with CPR Health & Safety?

Also I'm a little iffy with this info here: http://www.xula.edu/cop/documents/newp1/Professional%20Experience%20Program%20Requirements.pdf versus the brochure.

Brochure includes that whole PEP list to be submitted to certifiedbackground.com, but the PEP list says to send CPR and insurance card to e-value.net.
And a friend said she didn't have to do CPR before school started, she did the physical exam in Spring, and that the school is supposed to provide us our log-in info for E-value. Any clarification?

Last edited:
Hey I just called the PEP office too. They said submit everything to the certified background site and the PEP office. She said alot of the stuff on the website is old and they have to pull it down. Also don't worry about anything with evalue yet because we don't have access to that just yet. She said she just got a list of all the incoming P1s an has to set that up. So submit everything to certified background and PEP office.

Hey I just called the PEP office too. They said submit everything to the certified background site and the PEP office. She said alot of the stuff on the website is old and they have to pull it down. Also don't worry about anything with evalue yet because we don't have access to that just yet. She said she just got a list of all the incoming P1s an has to set that up. So submit everything to certified background and PEP office.

What has to be submitted to the PEP office?

I called the office again just now and now I really want to know what due dates Certified Backgound has because she said differently from the first lady I talked to, that everything has to be submitted by July 1.

I'm really hoping the due date is later or by registration like the other lady said, because I'm not yet ready atm to spend more money to get the rest of that stuff done.

EDIT:
Well I went ahead and paid the $105 and am relieved to see Aug 23 as the due date. Man, all the misinformation from the school had me panicking.

Last edited:
Have anyone ordered the white coat yet?
Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony begin?

Have anyone ordered the white coat yet?
Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony begin?

I haven't yet, but planning to in July. I think in the brochure it said during orientation week in aug19-21?

Apparently they will provide us with a free white coat at orientation, but you can order one on your own whenever. The previous white coat ceremonies were always in September so it should be the same this year. Information about the ceremony will be given at orientation.

Hi, I have max out my undergraduate student loan.please is is possible for Xavier to consider those who max out undergraduate student loan for graduate student loan.thanks.

A friend of mine (incoming P1) already received student loan for 2013-2014.

I am very worry for myself, because I have maxed out my undergrad student loan too. I haven't received any award letter from Xavier yet, even though I kept calling and asking them constantly. I am also seeking private student loans as well.

Last edited:
Hey guys! Im budding in on the conversation! I wanted to share my STATS and get some opinions on to whether yall think I would get in. I will start applying soon! I have BA of science in Psychology from LSU, I plan on getting Pharm Tech certified soon, my LSU gpa was a 2.96 and I havent taken the PCAT yet. Im not sure if its worth applying or if I should just try and see what happens. Any thoughts? Also, congrats to everyone who got in!!

Hey guys! Im budding in on the conversation! I wanted to share my STATS and get some opinions on to whether yall think I would get in. I will start applying soon! I have BA of science in Psychology from LSU, I plan on getting Pharm Tech certified soon, my LSU gpa was a 2.96 and I havent taken the PCAT yet. Im not sure if its worth applying or if I should just try and see what happens. Any thoughts? Also, congrats to everyone who got in!!

Hi there. Xavier isn't too difficult to get in. But did you mean you have a B.S. in Psychology or B.A. in Psychology? Well if you already have a bachelor's and you plan on becoming a pharm tech I think those will be to your advantage. Even though the GPA minimum is 2.75 and even though Xavier doesn't really look into the PCAT since it's still new for the school, I say do well on your PCAT to offset the 2.96 just in case. In your interview or even your statement, make yourself stand out as a psychology major amongst all the chemistry and biology majors. Good luck!

My student account shows a charge of $15,935 for the Fall 2013. However, I haven't received any award or student loan as of to date. Is there anyone who got their student loan yet? Is it enough to cover the entire semester?

My student account shows a charge of $15,935 for the Fall 2013. However, I haven't received any award or student loan as of to date. Is there anyone who got their student loan yet? Is it enough to cover the entire semester?

You really need to discuss your student loan issue with the Financial Aid office. Only they can help you answer all of your financial questions.

The balance that they have for us now is just showing us what is expected to be paid by registration date. If you haven't received information about your award/financial aid yet then it must not be fully processed by the school yet. It all depends on when you submitted your FAFSA and how busy they are with everyone else's financial aid files. I'm sure there are other people and myself who are still waiting for their award offers.

I received my financial aid award a couple weeks ago but I also submitted my fasfa is April. But dot worry its still not enough to cover even half. I'm not sure but I think 18K may be standard? I spoke to someone in the financial aid office and she said the difference is to be made up with private student loans. And she even told me just to google that and pick what's best for me. I maxed out undergrad too but she just said next year for P2 we will be able to get gradPLUS loans.

Bwebst1, I would go ahead and apply with those stats. Like kmh51 said, Xavier isn't to hard to get in to as long as you have the required gpas and courses! Good luck!

Hey, does anyone know how re-taking classes works? If I got a D in a class and retook it and got a C, would that be sufficient? I am not sure if they average out the grades when it comes to the prereqs but I do know they take both grades when calculating GPA. Does anyone know? Thank you!

As long as you made a C or better in the course regardless whether you got an F before. However, all past grades are calculated toward your GPA. As long as your pre-req gpa is above the minimum requirement (2.75 I think is the minimum for Xavier).

They average the grades unfortunately. But yea as long as you have a C or better you can be considered but make sure yor gpa is above a 2.75 in both pre-reqs and math and science.

They average the grades unfortunately. But yea as long as you have a C or better you can be considered but make sure yor gpa is above a 2.75 in both pre-reqs and math and science.

so i can get a D and a C in the class and be fine as long as my cumulative gpa and math/science gpa are above 2.75?

Yea that should be fine because the C helps you satisfy the "must have a C or better in all pre pharmacy courses" requirement. However for determining your GPA they would average in both attempts for example if its a 3 credit course-- 2 points for the C and 1 pt for the D. The course would be worth 1.5 points in your GPA.

Yea that should be fine because the C helps you satisfy the "must have a C or better in all pre pharmacy courses" requirement. However for determining your GPA they would average in both attempts for example if its a 3 credit course-- 2 points for the C and 1 pt for the D. The course would be worth 1.5 points in your GPA.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Okay, last questions guys -- do you think they would even consider me with a 2.653 math/science gpa and a cumulative gpa of 2.90?

TRY your best but GPA less than 3.0 is kind of tough to get in. Not only that do u think u can make it through pharmacy school if u cant at least managed 3.0 in undergrad.

Last edited: