Y!IFMBA - Surgery Style

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
In homage to Y!IFMBA:

I am not sure whether to be horrified, impressed or curious when my patient tells me she is married to a "very active" man and is wondering if she should go back on HRT to increase her libido.

Is the guy driving the Mercedes speeding through our medical complex parking lot with the vanity plate, "IvyMD" as much of a tool as I assume he is?

Should I really be interested in what "big announcement" Jon and Kate + 8 are making on Monday?

Should we open another office and capture some of the east valley market?

Am I ready for a puppy? I hear its like being on overnight call again.

Members don't see this ad.

...I am not sure whether to be horrified, impressed or curious when my patient tells me she is married to a "very active" man and is wondering if she should go back on HRT to increase her libido.
They got some topical cream that's suppose to help... I saw it on oprah.
...Is the guy driving the Mercedes speeding through our medical complex parking lot with the vanity plate, "IvyMD" as much of a tool as I assume he is?
Probably...but his car is nice.
Should I really be interested in what "big announcement" Jon and Kate + 8 are making on Monday??
No.
No.
Am I ready for a puppy?
Yes. But no if you open that other office.
I hear its like being on overnight call again.
It can be for about the first six months or so. You need to make sure you break the pup of any attachment disorder. Train pup to like sleeping in "crate". Do NOT train pup to go on newspapers/etc... train pup to go outside. Socialize early...often leads you to meet other interesting and sometimes attractive folks.:biglove:

Is the guy driving the Mercedes speeding through our medical complex parking lot with the vanity plate, "IvyMD" as much of a tool as I assume he is?

chill-summer-manhattan-ensenble-11.jpg

License plate on the Tahoe: HMSDOC98 ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
In homage to Y!IFMBA:

Should I really be interested in what "big announcement" Jon and Kate + 8 are making on Monday?

he is probably a bigger tool then you assume he is. Dismal. There is a guy like that in every medical school class. We all know "that guy." Mine was the Jack-a$% with the Audi with his IQ score on it.

Who is Jon and Kate + 8? So thankful I dont know this.

Dogs are great. Training time/commitment all depends on the breed. Key to success if getting them to go outside. Good luck. My advice regarding the attractive people magnet...I'd avoid a dog (when full grown) that fits in your purse. (My guess is this wasn't the type you were thinking about)

Maybe an adult dog who's already trained.

We have a guy here who drops where he trained into every sentence. It's actually kind of funny.

In homage to Y!IFMBA:

Why open an office on your own? Why not rent space a half day a week from another doc. I just jump around to different hospitals with 'specialty clinics'. I see the same number of patients but my overhead per clinic session is ~$50 instead of several hundred. Plus I don't have any employees to pay benefits to.

In homage to Y!IFMBA:

I am not sure whether to be horrified, impressed or curious when my patient tells me she is married to a "very active" man and is wondering if she should go back on HRT to increase her libido..

depends. Are you curious about what you're missing and going to ask about participation? Then curious is the correct answer.
Nothing to be impressed about yet...she cant keep up.
Horrified? seems like an over-reaction...if this horrifies you what emotion do you have left over for being chased by an axe-murderer or a swamp monster? You've allready shot your emotional load based upon her husbands reported prowess...go with curious, find out what you're missing you may then report to us whether the experience was impressive or left your horrified.

Is the guy driving the Mercedes speeding through our medical complex parking lot with the vanity plate, "IvyMD" as much of a tool as I assume he is?.

99% odds on douche-bag. you have to be carefull about assuming though, the plate could be ironic...in that case, pretty funny.

Should I really be interested in what "big announcement" Jon and Kate + 8 are making on Monday?.

Why is it that even educated supposedly smart women invest themselves in this? Is there like a part of the brain so riddled with estrogen receptors as to become immune to logic?
The obvious answer is no...you shouldnt care. In the future here's a little trick I recommend for all my female coworkers stuck in a dilema like this:
Ask yourself "what would a man do?" there....that ought to come in handy for similar dilemas in the future.

Should we open another office and capture some of the east valley market?.

You're young...go big before you burn out.

Absolutely.

...Are you curious about what you're missing and going to ask about participation? ...go with curious, find out what you're missing you may then report to us whether the experience was impressive...
This sounds vaguely familiar.....
...A steamy affair in an on call room with another married surgeon around your age sounds pretty exciting ...Would certainly make for good reading if you told all your SDN fans about it...
Are you related to Habeeb too?

Last edited:

You must not spend much time in the grocery store check-out line. I don't know how you cannot know who they are but I suppose if you are a surgical resident, its understandable.

<see my comment below for some further insight>

Dogs are great. Training time/commitment all depends on the breed. Key to success if getting them to go outside. Good luck. My advice regarding the attractive people magnet...I'd avoid a dog (when full grown) that fits in your purse. (My guess is this wasn't the type you were thinking about)

Yeah, I'm not the purse dog type of girl. I'm pretty girly but dogs aren't accessories and I have no interest in taking one out shopping with me. I am leaning toward a Shiba Inu or other mid-sized dog.

Why open an office on your own? Why not rent space a half day a week from another doc. I just jump around to different hospitals with 'specialty clinics'. I see the same number of patients but my overhead per clinic session is ~$50 instead of several hundred. Plus I don't have any employees to pay benefits to.

Interestingly, that is what we're considering. My thread was just random thoughts, so I didn't flesh it out but we've got a few feelers out there. One of the "big names" in town is winding down and the other may retire altogether. So we figured we need to capture their market, especially with us being the only fellowship trained in town. AND (and this is big) it would be nice to have an office 5 minutes from my house rather than 35.

Are you only paying $200 a month for 1 half-day a week? Pretty cheap. We figured we could take our MA, a laptop, the US machine and just need 3 rooms and an internet connection.

depends. Are you curious about what you're missing and going to ask about participation? Then curious is the correct answer.
Nothing to be impressed about yet...she cant keep up.
Horrified? seems like an over-reaction...if this horrifies you what emotion do you have left over for being chased by an axe-murderer or a swamp monster? You've allready shot your emotional load based upon her husbands reported prowess...go with curious, find out what you're missing you may then report to us whether the experience was impressive or left your horrified.

Yeah, no thanks. I just found it fascinating that she KEEPS telling me about this despite the fact that it is not something I am treating or really care about.

My post was intentionally a little dramatic. I am quite comfortable discussing sexual issues with my patients, it is something I do every day when talking about post-operative cosmetic concerns.

Why is it that even educated supposedly smart women invest themselves in this? Is there like a part of the brain so riddled with estrogen receptors as to become immune to logic?
The obvious answer is no...you shouldnt care. In the future here's a little trick I recommend for all my female coworkers stuck in a dilema like this:
Ask yourself "what would a man do?" there....that ought to come in handy for similar dilemas in the future.

I am interested because I was Chief Resident on Peds Surgery when those kids were delivered in my hospital and actually operated on one of them.

I do not enjoy watching the show on a regular basis especially with it so clear that they are estranged. I am interested because I have some professional experience with the family. I cannot speak for other women but I frankly don't see anything wrong with watching a tv show and wondering what's going to happen next. How is that any different than men (who supposedly aren't so addled by estrogen) watching "Two and a Half Men" (and insanely bad show but very popular with males 18-35) or a serial like "ER", "Lost" or "American Idol" whatever show you prefer. Doesn't seem any different to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I need a massage this weekend - never had one before, but its been an operating heavy week and I have very poor posture in the OR. Feel like this old attending I once had who would lay on the floor between cases.

Apparently when Phoenicians say wer'e in "monsoon season" they mean we are getting thunderstorms. So disappointing. I thought I was going to see a wall of water running between the cacti.

I think I need a massage this weekend - never had one before ...I have very poor posture in the OR...
Would highly recommend it. I would like to make a few comments/recommendations to the new novice of the massage vice:
1. Do not be surprised if within 24 hours of your first massage you feel worse and/or have new muscle spasms. Massage has a way of doing that to the "unreleased" muscles that are stimulated (dare say irritated)
2. You can overcome number 1 above.... Get repeat massage in short succession... i.e. get one every 2-3 days for up to four massages. This will release all those muscle groups and allow for the maximal relaxation.
3. After initial attack or massage cycle, you can limit your indulgences to weekly, every two weeks or monthly if you can resist the tempation.... Most can not avoid the indulgence of at least weekly once hooked and passed the initial impact of a good massage therapist.

JAD

I am hesitant to get a massage because I have yet to be convinced they are worth it.

I had several of those "chair massages" and have always been like "eh". I like having my feet massaged when I have a pedicure. My aunt's friend, a trained Thai masseuse, once gave me a massage at the house (so I guess I have had a massage before. And again, "eh". No relaxation, no real pain. Boring really. Can we turn the tv on or hand me a book?

I think its because I have a hard time relaxing anyway and think I would especially with some stranger rubbing me. Doing one thing at a time - ie, just lying there is not something I'm good at (am tempted to make sexual joke, but will refrain ;) ).

I am hesitant to get a massage because I have yet to be convinced they are worth it...I guess I have had a massage before. And again, "eh". No relaxation, no real pain...
You should talk to the massage establishment. They usually have a couple therapist really good at "deep" or "firm" massage technique. Tell them specifically you want an aggressive, deep, firm massage and you don't mind the bruises.... Then you shall come to truely understand the way of wonder....

Thanks for the insight about the massages, JAD. Sounds like I should do it on Friday night, so I'm not too sore by Monday in the OR.

Ok guys, the point of this thread, like Y!FMBA is to post random thoughts of your own. Tell us a little about yourself...it doesn't have to be enough to identify yourself. Random chit chat. Lots of other forums have this sort of thread.

It may go a long ways toward users seeing us as "real people" with real interests and a lot less intimidating.

I'm a little afraid of the drying machine in the basement of the building that I just moved in to. It makes this loud, grating thunk - a continuous kerCHUNK kerCHUNK kerCHUNK, only really awful. It makes the machine sound like it's crying out for help, and I half expected to open the lid and find the clothes shredded.

It also makes me wonder if it's going to explode some day. Sure hope not. :scared:

You must not spend much time in the grocery store check-out line. I don't know how you cannot know who they are but I suppose if you are a surgical resident, its understandable.

One of my (male) friends didn't know who they were either. When I said, "You know, the family that has eight kids - they had multiples after doing IVF," he just looked confused and asked:

"I didn't think that Octa-mom had blonde hair...."

Ok, I'll play....

I may be a guy, but I can't help stopping on shows like John and Kate plus 8 and Little People, Big World.

Does anyone else hate those guys that drop the weights in the gym as much as I do?

Why do I keep waking up one minute before my alarm clock is about to go off?

Should I take the "IvyMD" vanity plate off of my Mercedes? I feel like it might be too pretentious.

I'm a little afraid of the drying machine in the basement of the building that I just moved in to. It makes this loud, grating thunk - a continuous kerCHUNK kerCHUNK kerCHUNK, only really awful. It makes the machine sound like it's crying out for help, and I half expected to open the lid and find the clothes shredded.

It also makes me wonder if it's going to explode some day. Sure hope not. :scared:

My washer does that too.

Maybe they are fraternal twins separated at birth or both possessed by the same kerCHUNK kerCHUNK spirit.:scared:

I feel fat and old.....
Surprised at how good my hands still work.:smuggrin:

he is probably a bigger tool then you assume he is. Dismal. There is a guy like that in every medical school class. We all know "that guy." Mine was the Jack-a$% with the Audi with his IQ score on it.

Your medical school class only had 1 "that guy?" Thats awesome....at least 20 ppl in my class were or aspired to be "that guy."

I read in the news today that Steve Jobs had a liver transplant two months ago. When they did the case, do you think the resident told him that the intraoperative music would be provided by an ipod + docking station? I've never seen a Zune in an OR before....

Apparently when Phoenicians say wer'e in "monsoon season" they mean we are getting thunderstorms. So disappointing. I thought I was going to see a wall of water running between the cacti.

Yeah, it's a little dramatic, especially compared to central Texas thunderstorms, which are far more aptly called "monsoons" than anything you see in Phoenix.

But the rain there is often warm, not cold like everywhere else, and that may be the reason for the term.

I've also been told by long-time Phoenix residents that there's much less rain these days than there was 30 years ago. Apparently the city is so huge now that it sends up a massive tower of heat that sends storms around the valley rather than through it.

I hate having long hair, but my fiance seems to like it.

6 year olds with faux-hawks? Who does that to their kids?

If I watch Lifetime for "How I met your Mother" reruns, does that make me gay?

I think my hound is even more cranky then I am...:(
I should really make time to read something...:sleep:
I ate too much for lunch...:scared:

Down here, "Ma'am" is for anyone over thirty - it's expected by her. The use of "Miss" will get a man in trouble in certain instances, the word can be deemed dismissive, expecially when a "y" is added at the end...:D

What about "Driving MISS Daisy"?

(which in a strange contemporaneous twist, I actually watched part of last night)

And who says I'm over 30, Danbo? :D

I like long hair on men (my ex had beautiful long black hair; I cried when he suprised me with it cut short. Mostly because I was tired and post call and because the hairdresser gave him a very "stylish" cut. Looked, strangely enough, more effeminate than the long hair.)

Faux-hawks are at least better than those damn rat tails. Remember those?

Yes.

What should I have for dinner...I have a whole roasted chicken, some hamburger (so could make burritos or mac and cheese with hamburg), and some carnitas? I hate leftovers, so I go out a lot, which explains why I throw away a lot of food.

Sorry, not my forum, but I have play....

Why do dogs when they smell something remotely like feces on the ground, insist on dropping down, rolling over on their back over and over again, and just grind it into their fur?

Rattails remind me of the glory days of mullets.

Yum, roasted chicken sounds very nice.

Studying MKSAP while the husband is watching a Band of Brothers marathon is impossible.

And I smile when I get called Miss instead of Ma'am too...:D

What should I have for dinner...I have a whole roasted chicken, some hamburger (so could make burritos or mac and cheese with hamburg), and some carnitas? I hate leftovers, so I go out a lot, which explains why I throw away a lot of food.

Oh, carnitas....yum....

When I visited Salt Lake City, the most surprising thing was the amazingly good Mexican food carts that are all over. In one part of the city, there are 5 within a 2 block radius.

Had a carnitas quesadilla from one of them. Warm, crispy, greasy, cheesy, with pico de gallo on top.... <sigh>

random thoughts... Netflix is seriously the greatest way to spend $9 a month. I'm truly in love.

Going to see my dad today...he's 80. Lives 2 hours away. Today is my day off this "week". I think my next "sleep day" will be next sunday postcall and then maybe the following thursday, but I'm not sure, I'll be starting trauma surgery, night shift with thursdays off.

So is it raining alot in AZ, WS? We've been getting a lot of rain here, which I kind of like when I'm on call (ppl don't do bonfires and ride their ATV's so much when its raining :) )

I like the thought of a Y!IFMBA for surgery...I'll post!

After 2 days of non-stop rain, I developed a puddle in the basement of my new house. I wiped it up and nothing ever re-accumulated during the next 12 hours of non-stop rain. I am sufficiently baffled. There is no obvious source. I thought that maybe it was coming up through a crack in the floor, but 12 more hours of rain along with an already saturated ground should have given me some sort of sign.

P.S. I'm just happy that Jon and Kate now get more attention than Octo-mom. I was getting really tired of hearing about Octo-mom

So is it raining alot in AZ, WS? We've been getting a lot of rain here, which I kind of like when I'm on call (ppl don't do bonfires and ride their ATV's so much when its raining :) )

No, none at all...yet. Although it is MONSOON season! ;)

I am getting my first ever real facial and massage today. A little nervous (since its so expensive) and a little excited about it. My neck still hurts from Friday in the OR.

I like the thought of a Y!IFMBA for surgery...I'll post!

Great! Have a wonderful day with your daddy and thanks for playing. :D

Alright I've never posted here before since I am starting med school in July but this is somewhat along the lines of the rat tails/fauxhawks and kids being weird. I'm at my crappy job at the university rec center right now and there is a youth basketball tournament going on. I just heard one ~12 year old boy say "I asked her if she wanted some, but she didn't respond" when another ~12 year old boy said "She doesn't want the white meat, she only wants the black meat". WTF is wrong with kids these days. I never would've said anything like that when I was 12. I'm almost 26 but I'm sure I had some decency and respect for those around me

I just heard one ~12 year old boy say "I asked her if she wanted some, but she didn't respond" when another ~12 year old boy said "She doesn't want the white meat, she only wants the black meat". WTF is wrong with kids these days. I never would've said anything like that when I was 12. I'm almost 26 but I'm sure I had some decency and respect for those around me

:eek::eek::eek:

I don't think I would have known what that meant, when I was 12, much less said it out loud.

random thought: what does Y!IFMBA mean?

Yes! I found my broken antenna.

Alright I've never posted here before since I am starting med school in July but this is somewhat along the lines of the rat tails/fauxhawks and kids being weird. I'm at my crappy job at the university rec center right now and there is a youth basketball tournament going on. I just heard one ~12 year old boy say "I asked her if she wanted some, but she didn't respond" when another ~12 year old boy said "She doesn't want the white meat, she only wants the black meat". WTF is wrong with kids these days. I never would've said anything like that when I was 12. I'm almost 26 but I'm sure I had some decency and respect for those around me

Its not even so much a sense of decency and respect but rather hormones. I feel like I'm the only one that thought boys still had cooties while I was in junior high. So any boy approaching me at age 12 with some comment about "wanting some" would have been met with a bored look. Not because I didn't know what he meant but rather those hormones hadn't kicked in. Now you hear about 9 yo raping or sexually assaulting other children or even having BF/GF and having sex. What's going on?

I really like those Hillshire Farms commercials. They make me laugh. "Go Meat!"

Ok, so had the massage, my first today.

Eh.

Its nice that my skin is soft and I can't say I hated it, but where's the "liquid" feeling people talk about, where's the relaxation? How do people fall asleep during these things? I liked it, but could honestly go the rest of my life without having another one and not miss it. Unless somehow the magic of the massage is in multiple ones like JAD mentioned above.

And JAD - are you serious about getting a series of massages, up to 4? Do you think I'm made of money or are they just a hell of a lot cheaper where you are (which is a distinct possibility given the respective areas we live)?

...had the massage, my first today...
One of four
...JAD - are you serious about getting a series of massages, up to 4? Do you think I'm made of money or are they just a hell of a lot cheaper where you are...
Yes, that is where the magic is...has to be firm & deep tissue. You don't need to do four everytime just initially to break the rigidity of your stiff muscles.... Spread them out over several days (i.e. not 4 in one day!!!). With a good deep tissue massage, you may actually find you feel worse and or have some spasms in the first couple of days. The initial break-in series will help release your muscles also aclimate you to the therapist and ultimately allow you to start and enjoy and/or sleep through the sessions.
...Do you think I'm made of money or are they just a hell of a lot cheaper where you are...
I vaguely remember you posting something about having more money then you know what to do with. :smuggrin: Actually, nope, don't think you be made of money or I would be your neighbor mooching some dough.

Massage usually costed me around $65 plus $5 tip for an hour. After initial treatment round (i.e. 3-4), I was getting massage once a week to once every two weeks... My SO put a stop to it when we moved this past July. It is the idea of being able to afford regular massage that keeps me going during those thankless late nights of medical training. I dream of the used car, small house, bass boat, and massage!:biglove:

My dogs are getting old fast... and makes me feel like I need to hurry up and stay ahead... ouch!!!:eek:
I ate too much for lunch again!!! :help:
Tomorrow, yes tomorrow, I'm sure I will start eating right and going to the gymn regularly...:eyebrow:
When a dog drags its butt... don't they get rug burn?:scared:

Massage usually costed me around $65 plus $5 tip for an hour.

Ahh...well, there's the rub.

I couldn't find one here less than $125 except at places like Massage Envy or Elements. I wanted a spa experience not some 'WalMart of massages" for my first experience. I paid $150 today plus 20% tip. When you add in the $185 facial (with 20% tip), it was a rather expensive day. This spa was actually on the cheaper side compared with some of them around here.

But again, even if it was only $65 I can't say that it was anything special. I guess I'm not much of a Sybarite. Or maybe I expected more. I hear people talk about massage like its some manna from heaven, how they're addicted to them, how relaxed it made them feel, etc. It was nice but not something I would go out of my way to do again. Then again, I've never really thought back rubs from SOs were all that either.

...maybe I expected more. I hear people talk about massage like its some manna from heaven, how they're addicted to them, how relaxed it made them feel, etc. It was nice but not something I would go out of my way to do again...
They are manna damn it!!!!:bang:

But if all else fails.... take two percocet and 10mg of valium 30 minutes before and arrange a ride home:bow:
...I wanted a spa experience ...I paid $150 today plus 20% tip. ...add in the $185 facial (with 20% tip), it was a rather expensive day...
.... Yes, small house, used car, bass boat and massage... that would be all I could afford. At around $350 I couldn't relax either....I hopes they at least massaged your feet and served some bubbly too.... hell at that price you should get the "happy ending":smack:

Last edited: