Y!IFMBA - Surgery Style

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At around $350 I couldn't relax either....I hopes they at least massaged your feet and served some bubbly too.... hell at that price you should get the "happy ending":smack:

I got two foot massages, a warm paraffin treatment to my feet while my head and neck was being massaged, cucumber mask for my eyes, and a blood orange salt scrub on my arms and back.

No bubbly ( or happy ending...this was a legit spa) but I did get some tea, cucumbers, cheese and crackers. They also had brownies.

I don't think the price was the reason for not relaxing because I knew what it would be in advance. I'm just not a good relaxer, never have been. Its probably why I don't sleep much either.

Oh well, maybe I'll try it again if only for the skin smoothing properties.

Members don't see this ad.

I got two foot massages, a warm paraffin treatment to my feet while my head and neck was being massaged, cucumber mask for my eyes, and a blood orange salt scrub on my arms and back.

No bubbly ( or happy ending...this was a legit spa) but I did get some tea, cucumbers, cheese and crackers. They also had brownies.

I don't think the price was the reason for not relaxing because I knew what it would be in advance. I'm just not a good relaxer, never have been. Its probably why I don't sleep much either.

Oh well, maybe I'll try it again if only for the skin smoothing properties.

dude. *drool*

I like massage. Haven't had one in a long time. Right now though oddly enough my "therapy" is exercise. I never thought I'd get to that point esp. during residency, where my off-time priority is sleep, but I have had a revelation that was only a myth to me prior to now: excercise DOES work as stress relief. followed by a little etoh.

My current rotation is very anxiety-inducing. call days the pager goes off nonstop. and you are it. no intern, no med student, no chief or senior. just you, 275 peds beds, level 1 peds trauma and an adult/peds burn ctr, and 2 of 4 attendings that will nitpick you raw.

anyway, no time or $$ in sight for massage, but I can ride the elliptical till my heart feels like its gonna pop and the rush of endorphins cancels out MUCH of my anxiety. :cool:

i'm thinking of dabbling in martial arts next. if that doesn't pan out, i'm buying a gun. lol.

saw dad and bros today. glad i did. needs to happen more often since parents are elderly and still alive, well, and recognize me. :)

It's fine to wear a swimsuit to the beach, even if you are a little over weight.

It is not fine to wear the same swimsuit to the wal-mart down the road, just because you came from the beach. Seriously, go to the hotel and put some clothes on.

I need my next loan check to come through fast. Proabably shouldn't have taken this vacation...

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not fine to wear the same swimsuit to the wal-mart down the road, just because you came from the beach. Seriously, go to the hotel and put some clothes on.

shop-Dollar-store-791366.jpg

9 days until we rotate and I'm officially a chief...currently all services are understaffed since the chiefs had their graduation last week...not enough manpower to cover all cases until we are back to full strength on July 1. Painful trying to explain to an attending why their case can't have a resident but another's can.

What is with the celebrity get me out of here show being on so much?

J&K+8 is fascinating when you compare it to the Duggars (18 kids and counting). Talk about quite the contrast in family dynamics and childrearing. I always wonder which of the 18 kids is going to be the 'black sheep' or become a little TOO independent.

Ahh...well, there's the rub.

I couldn't find one here less than $125 except at places like Massage Envy or Elements. I wanted a spa experience not some 'WalMart of massages" for my first experience. I paid $150 today plus 20% tip. When you add in the $185 facial (with 20% tip), it was a rather expensive day. This spa was actually on the cheaper side compared with some of them around here.
Good Lord. I've actually got a $100+ massage coming up (yes, med school is rough :D), so I can't speak to the quality of an expensive massage, but I went to a beauty school once and got like a $30 massage that felt great. Check around for a beauty school.

But again, even if it was only $65 I can't say that it was anything special. I guess I'm not much of a Sybarite. Or maybe I expected more. I hear people talk about massage like its some manna from heaven, how they're addicted to them, how relaxed it made them feel, etc. It was nice but not something I would go out of my way to do again. Then again, I've never really thought back rubs from SOs were all that either.
Oh, I love back rubs/massages from the wifey. I used to be a huge fan of back rubs, but now I like having my legs and arms massaged.

Good Lord. I've actually got a $100+ massage coming up (yes, med school is rough :D), so I can't speak to the quality of an expensive massage, but I went to a beauty school once and got like a $30 massage that felt great. Check around for a beauty school.

Eh, I wasn't complaining about the price. I'd rather have a good $150 massage than a bad one from some beauty school student, even at $30. And you have to remember I'm in Scottsdale, where everything is expensive.

I was mostly complaining about "what's the deal with massages" not whether I got a good one. I'm fairly sure it was a good one, then again, how would I know. I looked at her resume and she's worked at some posh places around town which generally don't tolerate crappy masseuses. I'm actually sore today - which JAD told me I would be. She pressed pretty hard on me with her (I think) elbows.

But I am thinking if I should do the repeat massages like JAD suggested and whether or not I could go to someplace cheaper like Massage Envy or one of those chain places.

Oh, I love back rubs/massages from the wifey. I used to be a huge fan of back rubs, but now I like having my legs and arms massaged.

Yeah, eh. I think the main reason I delayed getting a professional massage for so long was my belief that if I didn't get much out of the home variety, how much better could the pros be? I think my belief was validated. And its not about the masseuse, but rather about me...I'm just not very sensitive I guess.

Eh, I wasn't complaining about the price. I'd rather have a good $150 massage than a bad one from some beauty school student, even at $30. And you have to remember I'm in Scottsdale, where everything is expensive.

I was mostly complaining about "what's the deal with massages" not whether I got a good one. I'm fairly sure it was a good one, then again, how would I know. I looked at her resume and she's worked at some posh places around town which generally don't tolerate crappy masseuses. I'm actually sore today - which JAD told me I would be. She pressed pretty hard on me with her (I think) elbows.

But I am thinking if I should do the repeat massages like JAD suggested and whether or not I could go to someplace cheaper like Massage Envy or one of those chain places.

Yeah, eh. I think the main reason I delayed getting a professional massage for so long was my belief that if I didn't get much out of the home variety, how much better could the pros be? I think my belief was validated. And its not about the masseuse, but rather about me...I'm just not very sensitive I guess.

I think it grows on you... like working out. If you're pretty tense, the first couple hard massages just hurt (kinda like the first few times in the gym or running), and you feel a little better days later. After you've had a few of them, they get progressively more effective.

I could be making that up, though. After all, I'm just a lowly know-nothing medical student... :smuggrin:

I read in the news today that Steve Jobs had a liver transplant two months ago. When they did the case, do you think the resident told him that the intraoperative music would be provided by an ipod + docking station? I've never seen a Zune in an OR before....

I think the better question is whether a resident was allowed within 50 feet of Steve Jobs's room.

(Although, to be fair, the only person who I've ever seen throw a fit because a resident was involved in the patient's care was a little old lady who insisted on being treated like a VIP because her son was a private practice general IM doc 300 miles away. :rolleyes:)

I gots a migraine.... but I'm not blind!!!:smuggrin:

If my entire musculo system hurts from the massage, does that count as working out and I can skip the gym tonight? :D

Besides, I gotta stay home for Jon and Kate +8 to see the big divorce announcement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Besides, I gotta stay home for Jon and Kate +8 to see the big divorce announcement.

When Kate said, "the show must go on," does that mean that she's still going to let them film her family?

Jeebus, lady, going on that show destroyed your marriage. And you still want them to keep filming? :confused:

When Kate said, "the show must go on," does that mean that she's still going to let them film her family?

Jeebus, lady, going on that show destroyed your marriage. And you still want them to keep filming? :confused:

Seeing as she kept wanting to go on despite the fact that her husband was miserable, I'd expect nothing less from her.

She probably figures there is nothing else to lose now so why not get as much moola out of this as she can. Since Jon is apparently looking at condos in Trump Tower, they might need it.

The episode will have already aired in your time zone...People is reporting they filed for divorce in Berks Cty, so I'm not sure its even worth watching the show since I pretty much know what the big announcement is (and I'm sure they will drag it out until the end of the show).

The episode will have already aired in your time zone...People is reporting they filed for divorce in Berks Cty, so I'm not sure its even worth watching the show since I pretty much know what the big announcement is (and I'm sure they will drag it out until the end of the show).

Yeah, I only saw part of it, but it was pretty anti-climactic. Just more footage of Jon looking miserable at a Mother's Day brunch, and Kate tearfully saying that they'll soldier on, or something like that.

dude. *drool*

I like massage. Haven't had one in a long time. Right now though oddly enough my "therapy" is exercise. I never thought I'd get to that point esp. during residency, where my off-time priority is sleep, but I have had a revelation that was only a myth to me prior to now: excercise DOES work as stress relief. followed by a little etoh.

anyway, no time or $$ in sight for massage, but I can ride the elliptical till my heart feels like its gonna pop and the rush of endorphins cancels out MUCH of my anxiety. :cool:

i'm thinking of dabbling in martial arts next. if that doesn't pan out, i'm buying a gun. lol.
Elliptical???? Yes, such a great way to escape it all, especially when I take a longer run on the elliptical that releases those wonderous endorphins. Miss having a little ETOH and being able to get an occasional massage. So yes, elliptical and an occasional half of a Black and Mild have become my ways to escape. :cool:

Definitely go for martial arts, you'll have fun. Gun? Yep those are fun too.

Chatting with friends via Google back home hearing about what they consider boring are good ways to pass the time as well.

YahooBlog said:
Personally, I would have been more surprised if they announced that they were ending the show to save their marriage...
Yes, that would have been a surprise.
Seeing as she kept wanting to go on despite the fact that her husband was miserable, I'd expect nothing less from her....Jon is apparently looking at condos in Trump Tower, they might need it...
Lord have mercy!!! I find the entire thing repulsive. I suspect TLC is encouraging the expensive high rise condo thing.... it will ball & chain Jon into having to continue the show.
...Kate said, "the show must go on," ...
What exactly has Kate done to write a book worth reading or warrant a book tour.... How is this really "all for the kids"? Kate looked like she was on some benzos, very subdued facial expressions & droopy eyelids.... When are we going to hear the tragedy of Kate's rehab.

Reality check:

Numerous families for years with 9, 10, 12 kids and no multi-million dollar income. No apparent need for million dollar estate. I think around 75% marriages end in divorce. Large families divorce. Not a national tragedy of televised sadness... Not heard of to go into million dollar divorce with 8 kids and keep million dollar estate, consider million dollar condo, and nobody get a real job.

The entire scenario is ridiculous. They did not need a large tract of land and million dollar estate, nannies, etc.... with stay at home parent. The best thing they can do is sell the property. End the show after season contract complete. Both get a real job and start living like an average large family. I'm not sure what type of message they will be ultimately delivering to these kids.... Get pregnant entitled to fame... get really pregnant entitled to big fame and million dollar salary... oh, and you don't need a real job if you get really pregnant just complimentary cosmetic surgery.

PS: Kate said something like, "I said it very firmly that I will be with my kids on every holliday and birthday". Jon said something like, "It's new for us and we will have to see how it works out..". I think saying something very firmly is less important then saying something from a court bench!

Last edited:
If you look at pictures of Kate when she was pregnant, and right after she had the kids, she looks completely different. I assume TLC was like "Crap, we need to get her into a salon so she doesn't look so homely....stat." Despite all the claims that she doesn't let other people tell her what to do and yada yada, she sure did care what the network thought, because she has totally changed. I think John was getting tired of his family being put on display like a low budget flea market. I predict Kate hamming it up for the cameras on the last episodes so that hopefully she'll get a reality show out of the deal. Either way, most of America's middle class families are going to have to find a new series to latch on to.

Kate about Divorce said:
"Over the course of this weekend, Jon's activities have left me no choice but to file legal procedures in order to protect myself and our children," Kate said in a statement...
I wonder what Jon's "activities" are... maybe taking some control of the exploitation or even moving to end this financial empire Kate is loving? Maybe the idea of him living in a seperate million dollar condo, thus using some of the monies is not acceptable to her?

Then again, I don't wonder that much... I'd much rather discover this warped representation of families, entitlement, and etc.... ended
...I predict Kate hamming it up for the cameras on the last episodes ...
I think she is actually hamming it up for the divorce... got to love her statement with regards to her obnoxious and explosive tantrums, "I've really gotten alot better".

Eh, I think she destroyed her marriage. She was a complete shrew who belittled her husband at every opportunity.

As for the before/after, I daresay she's had some work done....(I know she got a tummy tuck)
kate-gosselin-b2.jpg

If you look at pictures of Kate when she was pregnant, and right after she had the kids, she looks completely different. I assume TLC was like "Crap, we need to get her into a salon so she doesn't look so homely....stat."

Perhaps but when they were dating and got married she was a cute blonde. She always struck me as someone who focused on the important things, like her kids, rather than how she looked. Whether the change was prompted by her or the network isn't clear, but her husband was pretty excited when it happened, saying something like, "I only like blondes" and "I've got my wife back." There are plenty of homely people on TLC, so I can't see them forcing it on her but not the Duggars, et al.

Then again, I don't wonder that much... I'd much rather discover this warped representation of families, entitlement, and etc.... endedI think she is actually hamming it up for the divorce... got to love her statement with regards to her obnoxious and explosive tantrums, "I've really gotten alot better".

Yeah, and the photos of her spanking her child in anger clearly represent that.:rolleyes:

I thought she looking like someone who had spent the previous day crying and essentially giving up when it was made clear to her that all her work was for naught, not someone on benzos. I have been there myself. She is clearly a controlling woman and sometimes the best way to keep it together is to not let the emotions show much.

I heard tonight that the show is going on hiatus. Too bad they didn't do that last year. The show last night was a bit underwhelming...I wanted to know WHAT the problems were, especially since she implied it had nothing to do with the show. She totally emasculated her husband on the show; he was no innocent party but hell, I'd cheat on her too (and let's just say, without violating HIPAA again, she has not changed much since the birth of the babies).

And on a different note JAD:

had my 2nd massage tonight. Went to some $65 place. I still cannot say I thought much of it and frankly, you get what you pay for. The $150 one was much better and I didn't have to listen to some weirdo guy talking about his former career assisting people in past life regressions.

Eh, I think she destroyed her marriage. She was a complete shrew who belittled her husband at every opportunity.

No disagreement there.

As for the before/after, I daresay she's had some work done....(I know she got a tummy tuck)
kate-gosselin-b2.jpg

Eh...I see some breast implants, teeth whitened and a fair bit of weight loss. I don't see a lot of facial change.

She was a pretty cute girl when she and Jon met.

...I don't see a lot of facial change...
It may just be weight loss... but she lost the double chin, face looks nicely lifted with better cheek pronouncement
...when they were dating and got married she was a cute blonde. ... her husband was pretty excited when it [plastic surgery] happened, saying something like, "I only like blondes" and "I've got my wife back." ...
Yeh, cause initially, he thought he was going to get some... I suspect it went from surgery to,

"no honey, I'm still healing"
to
"no honey the kids might hear"
to
"no honey, I need to look good for the interviews/book signings/etc..."
to
"NO!"

Now he is someway a hazard to her & the kids... "Jon's activities have left me no choice but to file legal procedures in order to protect myself and our children...":bullcrap:
Obviously, he didn't get his wife back.

I doubt while she is on the book tour she is staying in motel 6 or dining at McDonalds regularly.... But, all in the days work of super breeder.

Last edited:
No disagreement there.

Eh...I see some breast implants, teeth whitened and a fair bit of weight loss. I don't see a lot of facial change.

She was a pretty cute girl when she and Jon met.

Those are really the only photos I've seen of her before and after, but I'd say for sure she's had some work done on her nose. The tip has much better definition and it looks like the base is a bit narrower, but it's hard to say for sure with just those photos.

Never caught the show, but the girl that I dated for a while used to love it. There's probably a deeper meaning in that . . . ;)

Those are really the only photos I've seen of her before and after, but I'd say for sure she's had some work done on her nose. The tip has much better definition and it looks like the base is a bit narrower, but it's hard to say for sure with just those photos.

I agree from that angle it looks different...maybe, I just hadn't noticed it before. But you are the expert on such things.:)

had my 2nd massage tonight. Went to some $65 place. I still cannot say I thought much of it and frankly, you get what you pay for. The $150 one was much better and I didn't have to listen to some weirdo guy talking about his former career assisting people in past life regressions.

Finally scheduled my prenatal massage today. Never had a massage before. Hope the $125 is worth it!

Finally scheduled my prenatal massage today. Never had a massage before. Hope the $125 is worth it!

I hope so.

I looked at my hand this morning and there is a 5 mm burn on the top of it.

I do not recall burning myself in the kitchen or elsewhere. Wonder if he burned me with those hot stones during the massage yesterday. Some were pretty hot and the skin on the top of the hands is pretty thin.

The $150 one was much better and I didn't have to listen to some weirdo guy talking about his former career assisting people in past life regressions.

:confused: Is that guiding people through memories of their former lives? Weird.

In other news, I present to you all....

The Chork. (Or the Forkstick. Whichever you prefer.)

2l8jnh0.jpg

They had one of these taped to the outside of a package of ramen at the local Asian food store (H-Mart, to be precise). I'd never seen these things before. Apparently, there is also a "choon" version.

:confused: Is that guiding people through memories of their former lives? Weird.

Yep. And then he asked me why I was laughing.

The Chork. (Or the Forkstick. Whichever you prefer.)

2l8jnh0.jpg

They had one of these taped to the outside of a package of ramen at the local Asian food store (H-Mart, to be precise). I'd never seen these things before. Apparently, there is also a "choon" version.

Chork is clearly the better term. Is there a "Chife"? Because THAT is what is needed...some places just cut their food too big.

For the massage - I go every 2 weeks as my back is killing me doing all these pelvic procedures on teh morbidly obese! I hate spa massages - all that fufu hot stones, perfumes etc. Stay away from the chain places too - you'll just get a glorified back rub. Go to a physio clinic/chiropractors office, gym, etc. You shouldn't be paying a tip either - if it is truely "therapeutic" and they are a medical practitioner of sorts then they shouldn't expect a tip. My patients certainly don't tip me for their colonoscopies - why would i tip my massage therapist.

As for the dog - my labradoodle is currently "in utero" and is due in mid July and i should get him/her mid september!

For the massage - I go every 2 weeks as my back is killing me doing all these pelvic procedures on teh morbidly obese! I hate spa massages - all that fufu hot stones, perfumes etc.

Hell that was the best part of it!

Stay away from the chain places too - you'll just get a glorified back rub.

Went to 1 on Monday; wasn't too impressed, if only because the therapist kept talking to me about his former career doing past life regressions.

Go to a physio clinic/chiropractors office, gym, etc. You shouldn't be paying a tip either - if it is truely "therapeutic" and they are a medical practitioner of sorts then they shouldn't expect a tip. My patients certainly don't tip me for their colonoscopies - why would i tip my massage therapist.

Perhaps.

As for the dog - my labradoodle is currently "in utero" and is due in mid July and i should get him/her mid september!

Post pics when the baby arrives!

Just had mine. So worth it!

Definitely will start going on a regular schedule!

Can you believe it?

I expected Farrah to die, and although Michael was looking increasingly wasted (and wasn't there some rumor about a lung problem), I didn't expect a cardiac arrest.

:(

Can you believe it?

I expected Farrah to die, and although Michael was looking increasingly wasted (and wasn't there some rumor about a lung problem), I didn't expect a cardiac arrest.

:(

Yeah that was a shocker. I'm pretty bummed about that and I'm not even sure why.

Quite the shocker.

I don't remember the rumor about a lung problem, but I do remember a rumor about MRSA. Whatever the issue, he definitely has not looked well for a long time.

...Did they announce if they will do an autopsy?
I didn't hear an announcement. This death is at best unusual. Questions have been raised about a degree of foul play (i.e. enabling drug use), he apparently recently passed a significant physical exam to insure/secure financing for a tour, everyone has been reporting how unusually healthy and vibrant he is/was and then..... found down in full arrest.

All things considered, I think legally they have to do an autopsy. Though, I do not know the laws of California...

All things considered, I think legally they have to do an autopsy. Though, I do not know the laws of California...

He is at the LA County Coroner's office now for an autopsy.

I know that death within 24 hrs of surgery or hospital admission is a coroner's case. Not sure about death pronounced in the ED when the patient presents in full arrest.

...I know that death within 24 hrs of surgery or hospital admission is a coroner's case. Not sure about death pronounced in the ED when the patient presents in full arrest.
Yeh, that is usual. I think if you got some sickly senior citizen and no real concerns on why death occurred, coroner often passes on the autopsy. In this particular situation, very unexpected, numerous questions, and need to appear consistent in public eye....

According to a family statement read by Jermaine, Michael's personal physician was in the house with him which would suggest to me that there was some known problem leading to the arrest.

Some sources are saying that over the last few days of rehearsal for the tour he was lethargic.

Per CNN, an autopsy will be performed today.

HA HA...only if you are using the title "Dr" when you call a restaurant for reservations or tell the Circle K clerk, "its Doctor" when they say, "thank you sir.":laugh:

My father (a physician as well) swears that restaurants give you a better table when you identify yourself as "Doctor", and he hounds me every time I don't do it when making reservations. Kind of funny.