Yahoo Answers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

And I Was Like

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Has anyone else checked out Yahoo! Answers - there's a lot of young kids on there asking questions about wanting to become a doctor and there's a crap load of misinformation that goes on there.

I've recently started answer questions there which mostly end with me citing this website as a reference.

I'm wondering if anyone else has read some of the crazy stuff on there - like people with "Top Contributor" posting that DO means Doctor of Obstetrics or the like.

- And I Was Like

Members don't see this ad.

You are getting answers from 10 year olds there.

The problem is they don't know about studentdoctor, all the advice they get is from "Top Contributors" which gives the illusion of knowledge but is actually a meaningless tag. It just bothers me a lot =/

Members don't see this ad :)
I never knew there were people who took Yahoo Answers seriously.

I never knew there were people who took Yahoo Answers seriously.

Maybe I'm just not a big fan of misinformation... or just REALLY bored. Probably both. Some on the stuff there is pretty funny though, if not scary.

I'm a "Top Contributer" there and I generally give out the best advice to people I can there, but Answers is really a cesspool of bad information.

I would never actually ask those people a question, only give them answers.

I'm a "Top Contributer" there and I generally give out the best advice to people I can there, but Answers is really a cesspool of bad information.

I would never actually ask those people a question, only give them answers.

Please tell me you're not "PE2008" - I read his answers and just about burst out laughing and crying at the same time.

All the questions on Yahoo Answers make me want to facepalm so hard.
And this is mostly why.

I used to be a top contributor in biology, but I pretty much stopped answering questions because I got bored. My answers were always the bomb, yo.

I've read that guys posts before. I wonder what his username is on SDN.

He doesn't he claims to be a professional engineer which on Yahoo answers is about as verifiable as me being Sofia Vergara.

Yet - he still answers pre-med/pre-pharm/pre-dental questions. And if you go against something he says he can get your post deleted because he's a "Top Contributor" and it takes 3+ weeks to appeal it.

Ridiculous. Just Ridiculous.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys do know that hordes of trolls go on yahoo answers simply to mid inform people right?

I once saw a fellow student quote from "Answers" in a paper for a 300-level class....
I was like....:eek::eek::eek::eek::scared::diebanana::beat::bang::boom:

Last edited:
Hmmm...trolling Yahoo Answers...that sounds like a fantastic new hobby. :laugh:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091208190143AAJXEQJ

Just for the question,

1232550426_worf-face-palm.gif

The problem is they don't know about studentdoctor, all the advice they get is from "Top Contributors" which gives the illusion of knowledge but is actually a meaningless tag. It just bothers me a lot =/

Do you really want these creatures crawling all over SDN at 10 years old? Y'all know some of the worst come out of HSDN. Can you imagine MSDN??? :eek:

Misinformed is good :thumbup:

Not all answers posted in Yahoo Answers is misinformation...It really depends on who answers it? I have contributed many times, but there was no serious incentive, soo....

In all seriousness, you could find 1 good and informative answer for every 100 crap answers there. Then again, that's probably in other categories where people ask practical questions (pets, travel, computers...)

I'm sure Yahoo Answers began a lot more focused, reliable, and useful than it has become now. This is the cycle popular information sources go through that are fueled by public/anonymous membership. There's good and bad that come with growth.

I think Yahoo answers is still pretty useful. I've found good tips there about cooking questions, random explanations of household items, etc.

1) The top contributor in medicine is an anesthesiologist.

2) When I was taking Calculus I and II, I would post in the math section to confirm my answers to some of the hard problems. It helped a lot. You can sometimes get helpful answers.

Yup, Yahoo answers saved me when I took physics. Some of the stuff they say is rediculous but there is some pretty good advice on their too.

Hey guys!

Has anyone else checked out Yahoo! Answers - there's a lot of young kids on there asking questions about wanting to become a doctor and there's a crap load of misinformation that goes on there.

I've recently started answer questions there which mostly end with me citing this website as a reference.

I'm wondering if anyone else has read some of the crazy stuff on there - like people with "Top Contributor" posting that DO means Doctor of Obstetrics or the like.

- And I Was Like

Attracting more derp to SDN?

8862753.jpg