Yale-affiliated St Mary's hospital, Waterbury,Ct Prelim program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTSW2010

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I got an invite for prelim interview there. Can anybody familiar with the program give me some info regarding the program, especially the workload, elective and atmosphere?

How does the program rate compared to other Yale affiliated hospitals?

Just for fun: Does the diploma say Yale in it?:)

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

I got an invite for prelim interview there. Can anybody familiar with the program give me some info regarding the program, especially the workload, elective and atmosphere?

Thanks!!!

It's top tier, my father is an attending there. Are you med or surg btw. Surg is top notch as is med. Good trauma and complex IM cases. Work load is high but not unreasonable. Great attendings, good didactic. Waterbury is a great town, reasonable housing, good ethnic food. PM me for more info.

I would like to know more about this program, specifically for IM. How much affiliation do they have with Yale? How competitive is their residency? FutureCTDoc...can you add more? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to know more about this program, specifically for IM. How much affiliation do they have with Yale? How competitive is their residency? FutureCTDoc...can you add more? Thanks

Still interested...anybody with any information would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

It is modestly competitive as noted by the number of non-US MDs, average USMLE score is all you need and decent clerkship grades. It is a strong affiliation.

So what are the perks of being Yale affiliated?

again, how 'strong' is a strong association with yale?

what % of graduates from this program end up matching into competitive fellowships, like GI and Cardiology?

again, how 'strong' is a strong association with yale?

what % of graduates from this program end up matching into competitive fellowships, like GI and Cardiology?

First off define strong. Secondly call the program they should have information regarding fellowship position obtained.

First off define strong. Secondly call the program they should have information regarding fellowship position obtained.
on frieda, it says that st. mary's has a 'graduate' relationship/affiliation with yale...as opposed to 'strong' or 'minor'.

like cleveland clinical has a 'strong' affiliation with case western.

Hey Guys,

Thanks!!!

I would say don't do it. I interviewed there for prelim. My thoughts: most of the categoricals are foreign, many language barriers (I don't think I met any AMGs), the hospital is absolutely depressing and old, the city (Waterbury) is kinda awful, I don't think that the Yale affiliation is much more than in name only. They also have trouble filling, and have had a number of their spots go unfilled for a number of years. Yes they are "technically" affiliated with Yale, but I think the affiliation is loose at best. A lot of hospitals are "affiliated" with Yale in CT-St. Raphael, and a bunch of other tiny hospitals, but I don't think that it really does much for your career to go to these hospitals, as you will spend the vast majority of your time not at Yale.

Yale itself is great (I loved interviewing there, and I must say that I had by far the best stew in my life in one of the pubs surrounding Yale). But overall, I would avoid St. Mary's like the plague. I did not even rank it!