MPH Yale MPH Accepted 2015 Fall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wwxx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone considering or decided to attend Yale for MPH? :highfive:
I just mailed my deposit. What is the next step? When/How will I hear back from them again?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am seriously considering it. What department are you in? What made you decide Yale over other schools?

I'm seriously considering it as well. I was admitted to the Advanced Professional MPH in Global Health. I'd be interested in hearing from others as well.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am also seriously considering Yale! I thought Columbia was my definite top choice. But, the more I learn and interact with Yale the more unsure I am.

I was admitted to the Chronic Disease Epi department.

I was a student at Yale years ago and enjoyed my time there. I think it's a great fit for students interested in research and research methodology.

Reactions: 1 users
I am seriously considering it. What department are you in? What made you decide Yale over other schools?

Everyone, yay! I'm in the healthcare management program.
I went to a big public school for undergrad, it had a good name but I felt I didn't get what I wanted out of it. So I have my eyes set on private schools, small programs.
Yale's program is very small which gives more opportunities/time to interact with faculty (which I really want since I had a bad experience at my undergrad),
and less competition looking for a job/networking when we all graduate at the same time.
And the location, New Haven is in between Boston and NYC, relatively close to DC, (I suppose we can get lots of networking after we graduate) but its living expense is much much less than those big cities.
Last but not least, Yale is definitely more known, nationally and internationally, than Columbia or other schools. I know some people value more academics than school name, but based on my experience, school's name is also very very important.

These are my main reasons...let me know your thoughts ;)

Reactions: 1 user
I was a student at Yale years ago and enjoyed my time there. I think it's a great fit for students interested in research and research methodology.

That's actually what I'm concerned about. I want to work in business after I graduate, not research.

Did you go there for grad or undergrad? Can you tell us more about your experience? Living/studying..etc?

I'll chime in--also seriously considering Yale. I'm admitted to the Advanced Professional MPH in Applied Biostatistics and Epidemiology. I was also admitted to a similar postdoc MPH at Columbia, which was initially my first choice... but the more I interact with Yale the more I think that might turn out to be the best place for me, even though it will be less convenient in terms of living arrangements. I'm impressed by how accessible the faculty are and how close-knit and collaborative the cohorts seem to be. I know how important those things are from my previous grad school experiences and several years in research. I also like the even balance of biostats and epidemiology in the curriculum. I really want both and so I applied to a mix of biostats and epi programs, but this allows me to do advanced coursework in both and skip some of the other public health stuff that feels redundant to me given my background.

I'll be visiting next week and will report back!

That's the one thing I'm a little concerned about. I have absolutely no field experience in public health and I'm trying to get away from active research. Would Yale still be a good jumping off point?

That's actually what I'm concerned about. I want to work in business after I graduate, not research.

Did you go there for grad or undergrad? Can you tell us more about your experience? Living/studying..etc?

That's the one thing I'm a little concerned about. I have absolutely no field experience in public health and I'm trying to get away from active research. Would Yale still be a good jumping off point?

I got my PhD from Yale. The focus of the epi and biostats is on research as that's what faculty to do best (and are there to teach). It's a place that's less focused on active/traditional public health than say where I got my MPH, BU. I know management folks had no problems finding jobs in management but they take half their classes and learning from the school of management/business.

The vast majority of students also do research projects as their thesis--as is the obvious choice for many students. The program is set up in a way that is very academic and the coursework also focuses on lots of quantitative methods.

The con is that since Yale is small, there isn't a lot of options outside of the common paths. You have to carve your own research plan and coursework if you don't go the typical routes.

I got my PhD from Yale. The focus of the epi and biostats is on research as that's what faculty to do best (and are there to teach). It's a place that's less focused on active/traditional public health than say where I got my MPH, BU. I know management folks had no problems finding jobs in management but they take half their classes and learning from the school of management/business.

The vast majority of students also do research projects as their thesis--as is the obvious choice for many students. The program is set up in a way that is very academic and the coursework also focuses on lots of quantitative methods.

The con is that since Yale is small, there isn't a lot of options outside of the common paths. You have to carve your own research plan and coursework if you don't go the typical routes.

Thank you for the detailed reply. I have a couple of questions for you about BU but don't want to derail this thread. Would it be okay if I messaged you privately?

I'm also interested in hearing folks who are interested in the Healthcare Management MPH.
I'm very interested in the coursework given a lot of is from the management school, but a little concerned about the cohort size/research opportunities. I plan to pursue a Ph.D and wondering if the program will give me enough experience in terms of research/thesis writing...
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm also interested in hearing folks who are interested in the Healthcare Management MPH.
I'm very interested in the coursework given a lot of is from the management school, but a little concerned about the cohort size/research opportunities. I plan to pursue a Ph.D and wondering if the program will give me enough experience in terms of research/thesis writing...
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I get the sense that Yale focus on the research side. And I'm concerned that there is not enough business/management/hands on experience from them. lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. Cool to hear your opinion on this. Have you had an opportunity to chat with current students? My general feeling was what I could glean from the website only.
I don't think I'll be able to make it to the Visit Day so I guess I'll try to make contact with the school in the upcoming month.

Interesting. Cool to hear your opinion on this. Have you had an opportunity to chat with current students? My general feeling was what I could glean from the website only.
I don't think I'll be able to make it to the Visit Day so I guess I'll try to make contact with the school in the upcoming month.

Hi, yes, I've been emailing back and forth with a current student, she seems to love the school very much (but of course, she won't tell me anything bad anyway).
And I won't attend visit day either...

Everyone, yay! I'm in the healthcare management program.
I went to a big public school for undergrad, it had a good name but I felt I didn't get what I wanted out of it. So I have my eyes set on private schools, small programs.
Yale's program is very small which gives more opportunities/time to interact with faculty (which I really want since I had a bad experience at my undergrad),
and less competition looking for a job/networking when we all graduate at the same time.
And the location, New Haven is in between Boston and NYC, relatively close to DC, (I suppose we can get lots of networking after we graduate) but its living expense is much much less than those big cities.
Last but not least, Yale is definitely more known, nationally and internationally, than Columbia or other schools. I know some people value more academics than school name, but based on my experience, school's name is also very very important.

These are my main reasons...let me know your thoughts ;)

Cool makes sense. I have similar feelings as yours. I am especially concerned about the cost of living as I think between Columbia and Yale. It is will be especially hard to make a decision since I got a Dean's Scholarship from U of Michigan that comes up to $40,000...

I have been accepted in the Social & Behavioral Sciences program in the Chronic Diseases Epidemiology department. I really like this combination as it will allow me to focus on Social Epidemiology. Every other school I have applied to houses Social & Behavioral Health and Social Epidemiology in separate departments. I also like how Yale emphasizes interdisciplinary and individualized program. Conversely, one of my major concerns is that it is not clear if the program has a emphasis on social justice and health disparities, which is my focus. I did not see that many faculty stand out in this regard as compared to say U of Michigan or Columbia. Can somebody speak on this?

Also, does anybody know where I can look at the demographics of the students in the Chronic Disease Epidemiology department?

Cool makes sense. I have similar feelings as yours. I am especially concerned about the cost of living as I think between Columbia and Yale. It is will be especially hard to make a decision since I got a Dean's Scholarship from U of Michigan that comes up to $40,000...

I have been accepted in the Social & Behavioral Sciences program in the Chronic Diseases Epidemiology department. I really like this combination as it will allow me to focus on Social Epidemiology. Every other school I have applied to houses Social & Behavioral Health and Social Epidemiology in separate departments. I also like how Yale emphasizes interdisciplinary and individualized program. Conversely, one of my major concerns is that it is not clear if the program has a emphasis on social justice and health disparities, which is my focus. I did not see that many faculty stand out in this regard as compared to say U of Michigan or Columbia. Can somebody speak on this?

Also, does anybody know where I can look at the demographics of the students in the Chronic Disease Epidemiology department?

Wow, $40,000 from UMich is awesome!!!

Yah, that 40k...

SB is a sub-concentration within CDE. But the department is very small (the entire SPH) compared to other schools, so there's somewhat limited options outside the core offerings. There's also not a lot of faculty, just a handful. But, there's also fewer students than other schools, so there's that. Most MPH students are right out of undergrad (or only a few years out). It's on the young side.

$40k to a school is pretty nice. I would seriously consider that. Like, very seriously. Student loans ain't no joke.

Cost of living in CT isn't terrible. Rents are probably around $1000/mo for a studio. Can probably do with roommates for quite a bit less $700/mo. Much cheaper than NYC. But NY has a lot more choice for living and fun things. Much more food selection. Dining in New Haven was pretty good, though.

Still debating between Columbia and Yale as well but in similar situation as the rest of you. I know the Yale SPH has pass fail instead of conventional grades; do any of you guys think that will affect prospects for further study, say applying to another professional program or a PHD?

Still debating between Columbia and Yale as well but in similar situation as the rest of you. I know the Yale SPH has pass fail instead of conventional grades; do any of you guys think that will affect prospects for further study, say applying to another professional program or a PHD?
Didn't even know they had PF. I dont see it hurting prof programs, but it might make applying to PhD programs difficult. If like to hear from a Yale graduate what they thought.

Anyone else looking into the Regulatory Affairs Track to go along with their main department?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be putting down my deposit sometime soon for the EMD program! Just curious, do any of you have thoughts about transitioning from the MPH to PhD after 2 years? I'd ideally like to just stay at Yale for my PhD, but I assume it's still very difficult to get into their PhD program regardless of whether you completed Yale's MPH program.

Yale's department is heavily focused on research and methods training so it should be easier for you to transition to a PHD program. They posted a stat saying like 47% of students directly go for higher education. Don't know how it might substantially effect your chances of getting admitted in Yale specifically for the PHD program though. Stories perhaps can speak more about that.

Anyone interested in their global health concentration?

I also worry about their no GPA system, while it may work well towards completing the degree, will it make a negative impact if I want to go for another masters or Phd?

I visited Yale this week and was impressed. The strong points of the program seemed to be as follows: accessible and productive faculty, flexible and supportive staff, social and diverse student mix, high degree of personal attention from career services, integration into the rest of the research university, and the fact that it seems to be an expanding/well-resourced research program (space in the new building will increase YSPH space considerably, which to me suggests an institutional commitment to the SPH.) I was particularly impressed by my interaction with career services--I dropped by with no warning or appointment and had a genuinely useful meeting with someone who seemed knowledgable, extremely competent, and friendly.

In general, students, faculty, and staff all seemed happy to be there, which strikes me as an important indicator of program quality.

Hope this helps those unable to visit.

Reactions: 3 users
SB is a sub-concentration within CDE. But the department is very small (the entire SPH) compared to other schools, so there's somewhat limited options outside the core offerings. There's also not a lot of faculty, just a handful. But, there's also fewer students than other schools, so there's that. Most MPH students are right out of undergrad (or only a few years out). It's on the young side.

$40k to a school is pretty nice. I would seriously consider that. Like, very seriously. Student loans ain't no joke.

Cost of living in CT isn't terrible. Rents are probably around $1000/mo for a studio. Can probably do with roommates for quite a bit less $700/mo. Much cheaper than NYC. But NY has a lot more choice for living and fun things. Much more food selection. Dining in New Haven was pretty good, though.

I live in a three bedroom in New Haven and we pay $1100 total.

I live in a three bedroom in New Haven and we pay $1100 total.

Oh MY!!! That is extremely cheap!!! So you live outside of campus? Would you suggest living on or off campus? I'm looking at on campus apartments but there seem to be a lot of options, I don't know which one to choose.

Oh MY!!! That is extremely cheap!!! So you live outside of campus? Would you suggest living on or off campus? I'm looking at on campus apartments but there seem to be a lot of options, I don't know which one to choose.

I live on the East Haven/New Haven line... RIGHT next to the airport. It's about a 13 minute drive to the main campus and there is a bus that runs every 30 minutes, which takes you downtown. The bus takes a bit longer, about 40 minutes or so.

I know Yale owns a bunch of apartments off campus as well. A good friend of mine lived in a one bedroom for 2 years and I think he paid ~$900, which included heat and water.

Yale's department is heavily focused on research and methods training so it should be easier for you to transition to a PHD program. They posted a stat saying like 47% of students directly go for higher education. Don't know how it might substantially effect your chances of getting admitted in Yale specifically for the PHD program though. Stories perhaps can speak more about that.

Doing a MPH at Yale and doing well gives you a good chance of getting into the PhD if that's what you want. You have the benefit of already knowing many professors, knowing the research portfolio, and being able to speak knowledgeably about research opportunities that Yale participates in. I knew several folks who made that transition. However, doing well at any good school will give you a good shot of getting in if you have good knowledge of research methods and where research needs to be done.

And by good, I mean you will get your application read. Not just tossed in a pile of rejects right away.

I visited Yale this week and was impressed. The strong points of the program seemed to be as follows: accessible and productive faculty, flexible and supportive staff, social and diverse student mix, high degree of personal attention from career services, integration into the rest of the research university, and the fact that it seems to be an expanding/well-resourced research program (space in the new building will increase YSPH space considerably, which to me suggests an institutional commitment to the SPH.) I was particularly impressed by my interaction with career services--I dropped by with no warning or appointment and had a genuinely useful meeting with someone who seemed knowledgable, extremely competent, and friendly.

In general, students, faculty, and staff all seemed happy to be there, which strikes me as an important indicator of program quality.

Hope this helps those unable to visit.

What you wrote here reflects my thoughts on Yale from when I visited late fall. Like you, I was very impressed by the career services. It seemed like Yale (YSPH specifically) is truly interested in seeing their students succeed even after they graduate.

Trying to decide between Emory and Yale. I am at Emory now but still want to consider Yale too. I'm interesting in knowing everyone's thoughts.

Has anyone heard back about merit based scholarships from YSPH? I know they said financial aid would be going out at the end of this month, but the admissions office told me merit scholarships were separate and would be sent out "soon."

Has anyone heard back about merit based scholarships from YSPH? I know they said financial aid would be going out at the end of this month, but the admissions office told me merit scholarships were separate and would be sent out "soon."

I haven't heard anything yet. They've been awfully quiet.

http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2014/09/26/public-health-struggles-with-financial-aid/

According to that article it seems like as of last September, the only merit based awards available are 3 deans scholarships. Fingers crossed they've gotten more money since then.

It is kind of sad that such a fine institution like Yale that also has a great faculty and curriculum in public health is in decline due to not having enough money. It's ranking in public health has also declined. Kind of odd too, as the article states that YSPH receives 9% of the University's endowment, which must be huge.

Last edited:
It is kind of sad that such a fine institution like Yale that also has a great faculty and curriculum in public health is in decline due to not having enough money. It's ranking in public health has also declined. Kind of odd too, as the article states that YSPH receives 9% of the University's endowment, which must be huge.

I think the SPH has a relatively low donation/contribution rate from alumni--which often makes up a large portion of any school's funds. Also, the percentage that each school receives from endowment is usually for infrastructure purposes and isn't the entirety of the university's endowment, but usually just the interest off the investments of the endowment, which is usually going to be a substantially smaller portion of the pot. Also, remember that schools like Yale and other "big name" schools have large overhead costs compared to other universities.

As an alumnus, I will say that I thought the experience at Yale was pretty nice. I'd definitely recommend it to students interested in a good research-focused environment.

I definitely agree that while rankings don't show the entire picture, it is kinda disheartening to know that Yale lost its CAHME accreditation and no longer in the Healthcare Management Rankings. For someone in Healthcare Management can somebody speak to the possible effects of this?

On another note, anybody going to the admitted students day next Friday? Know of any clean/reasonably priced places to stay near campus?

I definitely agree that while rankings don't show the entire picture, it is kinda disheartening to know that Yale lost its CAHME accreditation and no longer in the Healthcare Management Rankings. For someone in Healthcare Management can somebody speak to the possible effects of this?

On another note, anybody going to the admitted students day next Friday? Know of any clean/reasonably priced places to stay near campus?

I am going to the admitted students day! I have also been looking for cheap places to stay for the weekend and haven't found much luck. Has anyone actually joined the Facebook group for our incoming class?

I am going to the admitted students day! I have also been looking for cheap places to stay for the weekend and haven't found much luck. Has anyone actually joined the Facebook group for our incoming class?

I wasn't aware of the fb group. Could you post the link here? Thanks

I can't make it on 27th. Will be going on 30th.

Has anyone heard about merit aid? I had such a good feeling about YSPH when I visited and really want to be able to attend, but I have merit aid somewhere else that makes the decision more complicated. I'm scared I won't be able to afford Yale.

Has anyone heard about merit aid? I had such a good feeling about YSPH when I visited and really want to be able to attend, but I have merit aid somewhere else that makes the decision more complicated. I'm scared I won't be able to afford Yale.

Not yet.

Hey everyone :) I was admitted to Yale's CDE program and will be going to admitted students day! Cant wait to meet all of you! Any people on here planning to do an MD afterwards?

Got my award letter! It is a bit confusing. I got a YSPH grant of 10k and work study. However, it did not mention if the YSPH grant was renewable. It factored the entire grant into the first year. Also, is there a separate letter for merit awards? It mention at the end of the FA letter that the grant is not available to those who receive a full scholarship. If that grant is renewable that would really mess up my decision process x).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users