MPH Yale MPH Accepted 2015 Fall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my award letter! It is a bit confusing. I got a YSPH grant of 10k and work study. However, it did not mention if the YSPH grant was renewable. It factored the entire grant into the first year. Also, is their a separate letter for merit awards? It mention at the end of the FA letter that the grant is not available to those who receive a full scholarship. If that grant is renewable that would really mess up my decision process x).
Congrats! From what I know, I think that the grant is the merit award. Were you notified via email or snail mail?

Members don't see this ad.

Got my award letter! It is a bit confusing. I got a YSPH grant of 10k and work study. However, it did not mention if the YSPH grant was renewable. It factored the entire grant into the first year. Also, is their a separate letter for merit awards? It mention at the end of the FA letter that the grant is not available to those who receive a full scholarship. If that grant is renewable that would really mess up my decision process x).
And what department are you in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my award letter! It is a bit confusing. I got a YSPH grant of 10k and work study. However, it did not mention if the YSPH grant was renewable. It factored the entire grant into the first year. Also, is there a separate letter for merit awards? It mention at the end of the FA letter that the grant is not available to those who receive a full scholarship. If that grant is renewable that would really mess up my decision process x).

Congrats!! So I guess it's a merit award, not financial aid, yea? I would expect more than that from financial aid, hopefully..crossing fingers

Anyone else hear anything about financial aid? . . . It's the last school I'm waiting for.

Congrats! From what I know, I think that the grant is the merit award. Were you notified via email or snail mail?
Congrats!! So I guess it's a merit award, not financial aid, yea? I would expect more than that from financial aid, hopefully..crossing fingers

I got an email back! Apparently it is not a merit award, but a financial need based award that is recalculated every year.

I go
I got an email back! Apparently it is not a merit award, but a financial need based award that is recalculated every year.
I got the same. Still trying to figure how to pay the difference. Any ideas? Lol

I was a student at Yale years ago and enjoyed my time there. I think it's a great fit for students interested in research and research methodology.
Did you get financial aid. I'm struggling figuring out if it's worth the debt I wil incur.

Oh...they only give 10,000 a year?!? That's so little!! o_O
I didn't get anything...hope it doesn't mean I get nothing... :(

I just got my need-based award letter too. Not as bad as some places, but only about $5k in grants compared to the $20k in (merit) grants I'm being offered elsewhere. And there is a significant shortfall that I would have to make up for with a GradPLUS loan. In the end, I'm likely to walk away at the end of next year with $40k added to my already significant undergraduate debt. Is it worth it?

Also--my understanding is that merit scholarships already went out. But perhaps they will filter down to the rest of us if the original awardees don't accept.

I just got my need-based award letter too. Not as bad as some places, but only about $5k in grants compared to the $20k in (merit) grants I'm being offered elsewhere. And there is a significant shortfall that I would have to make up for with a GradPLUS loan. In the end, I'm likely to walk away at the end of next year with $40k added to my already significant undergraduate debt. Is it worth it?

Also--my understanding is that merit scholarships already went out. But perhaps they will filter down to the rest of us if the original awardees don't accept.
I thought Yale already gave out merit scholarships!

Oh, I didn't know they went out! I haven't heard about anyone getting any so assumed they were being slow. Well if that is the case then I don't think the 10k is enough to persuade me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I didn't know they went out! I haven't heard about anyone getting any so assumed they were being slow. Well if that is the case then I don't think the 10k is enough to persuade me.
I could be wrong, but two weeks ago someone there told me, "Merit awards will go out next week." So I assumed they went out last week.

Do you have better funding elsewhere? My better funding is at a school that really turned me off, even though I initially thought I preferred to be in New York. In contrast, I thought the Yale program seemed great when I visited and I'm sure I will get better training there for what I actually want to do. So I'm not giving up yet.

I could be wrong, but two weeks ago someone there told me, "Merit awards will go out next week." So I assumed they went out last week.

Do you have better funding elsewhere? My better funding is at a school that really turned me off, even though I initially thought I preferred to be in New York. In contrast, I thought the Yale program seemed great when I visited and I'm sure I will get better training there for what I actually want to do. So I'm not giving up yet.

Yah, possibly the same school you refer to! Columbia gave me a merit award and might match another award I'm receiving. I was initially turned off by a few things at Columbia, after having it as my number one for so long, but more recently Yale's cost and lack of responsiveness in a critical area has left me disappointed. Don't get me wrong I still think Yale's small class size is amazing. However, the lack of flexibility, compared to Columbia's numerous certificates and organizations, makes me a little apprehensive.

I had the strangest thing happen to me. I got the email for the award and loans. While I was reading the email it completely vanished!! Was it retracted? I didn't even know you could do that! Are they not giving me the money anymore? I just got to the award part so I don't even know how much :(
I guess I should email them and find out.

I had the strangest thing happen to me. I got the email for the award and loans. While I was reading the email it completely vanished!! Was it retracted? I didn't even know you could do that! Are they not giving me the money anymore? I just got to the award part so I don't even know how much :(
I guess I should email them and find out.
Were you using gmail? Gmail may have flagged it as spam even as you were reading it and relegated it to the spam folder, causing it to disappear mid-read. Check your spam folder, find it, and unclick the "marked as spam" message on the top.

Were you using gmail? Gmail may have flagged it as spam even as you were reading it and relegated it to the spam folder, causing it to disappear mid-read. Check your spam folder, find it, and unclick the "marked as spam" message on the top.

ha ha yes, just figured that out a few min ago. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Yah, just asked all merit awards have been allotted :(. So, I guess I have all the numbers figured out

Anyone at open house right now? How is it?!
Saw FB pics, wish I was there...

It was great, as expected, but a few negative things stuck out with me.

1. They really push the fact it is Yale. Like they are overcompensating for something. Even gave us cookies with a giant Y on it.
2. I had a real hard time finding out about the Regulatory Affairs Track. Which is a big reason for my interest in the school. Like left with zero info from both the CDE chair and most students I talked to.
3. Cost of living in practice seems to be almost as much as NYC. Well maybe not as much as most of Manhattan, but the area in which most students live in New Haven the cost is as much as it is in Harlem or Inwood.

Otherwise they were attentive, seemed to really love Yale, and the programs seemed very comprehensive.

Anyone else very impressed with yale's HCM program? I thought admitted students day was very insightful.

It was great, as expected, but a few negative things stuck out with me.

1. They really push the fact it is Yale. Like they are overcompensating for something. Even gave us cookies with a giant Y on it.
2. I had a real hard time finding out about the Regulatory Affairs Track. Which is a big reason for my interest in the school. Like left with zero info from both the CDE chair and most students I talked to.
3. Cost of living in practice seems to be almost as much as NYC. Well maybe not as much as most of Manhattan, but the area in which most students live in New Haven the cost is as much as it is in Harlem or Inwood.

Otherwise they were attentive, seemed to really love Yale, and the programs seemed very comprehensive.

1.) A big appeal of YSPH is the fact that Yale is a very tight knit community. The greater Yale community is incredibly academic and has a pretty nice nourishing culture which I loved when I was a student. If you're into an "experience", Yale is a great choice on that front. If the MPH will be just a degree for you, it can certainly be that too, but Yale really offers a lot as a University as a whole. Plays, musicals, orchestra concerts, museums, good dining. It's also close to NY and Boston! But, YSPH is small, and that'll never be able to change in the time you'd be there as a student. So options are more limited than bigger programs.

2.) It's a small certificate within the school--and the program's director was a former FDA director/chief. Not a ton of kids go down the path, and it's a relatively small option--I think that's probably why didn't find out much. Contact Robert Makuch (http://publichealth.yale.edu/people/robert_makuch.profile)

3.) It's much cheaper than NY (unless you're comparing south Brooklyn, east Queens, or other parts of NY that are very far from Manhattan). Compared to the more populated areas of NY, it's going to be substantially cheaper. Less than half the rent cost. Most places will also include heat, as well. Students live all over the place, and while a lot in East Rock (I'm assuming you're mentioning this as the most popular place to live?), there are many apartments scattered throughout New Haven which are under $800/mo to live (I shared a 2-bed for $800/mo). You can live by yourself for a touch above $1000 (I'm guessing based on what rent was 4-ish years ago) and still be reasonably close to the medical campus. I'd say if you're comparing Yale to Columbia--Yale is going to be substantially cheaper by more than $10k/year, especially in living costs. You'll also have a much nicer place to live as the quality of housing is going to be (likely) superior.

Reactions: 1 users
1.) A big appeal of YSPH is the fact that Yale is a very tight knit community. The greater Yale community is incredibly academic and has a pretty nice nourishing culture which I loved when I was a student. If you're into an "experience", Yale is a great choice on that front. If the MPH will be just a degree for you, it can certainly be that too, but Yale really offers a lot as a University as a whole. Plays, musicals, orchestra concerts, museums, good dining. It's also close to NY and Boston! But, YSPH is small, and that'll never be able to change in the time you'd be there as a student. So options are more limited than bigger programs.

2.) It's a small certificate within the school--and the program's director was a former FDA director/chief. Not a ton of kids go down the path, and it's a relatively small option--I think that's probably why didn't find out much. Contact Robert Makuch (http://publichealth.yale.edu/people/robert_makuch.profile)

3.) It's much cheaper than NY (unless you're comparing south Brooklyn, east Queens, or other parts of NY that are very far from Manhattan). Compared to the more populated areas of NY, it's going to be substantially cheaper. Less than half the rent cost. Most places will also include heat, as well. Students live all over the place, and while a lot in East Rock (I'm assuming you're mentioning this as the most popular place to live?), there are many apartments scattered throughout New Haven which are under $800/mo to live (I shared a 2-bed for $800/mo). You can live by yourself for a touch above $1000 (I'm guessing based on what rent was 4-ish years ago) and still be reasonably close to the medical campus. I'd say if you're comparing Yale to Columbia--Yale is going to be substantially cheaper by more than $10k/year, especially in living costs. You'll also have a much nicer place to live as the quality of housing is going to be (likely) superior.

For number 3, that's the impression I got, which is a big plus!
I was a little worried when I saw the previous post that cost is about the same as NY, wasn't preparing for that lol. o_O

Thank you--this reinforces my impression from visits.

1.) YSPH does seem better integrated into the rest of the university community than most schools of public health. On my visit, this struck me as a significant and unique advantage. (I wouldn't read much into cookies--that's the sort of thing every institution I've ever attended has done. When I was choosing between grad schools the first time, schools handed out mugs, portfolios, etc. emblazoned with their name during recruiting weekends.)
3.) My partner and I are moving from Brooklyn and the places we're looking at in New Haven are a little over half what we pay now. We're saving a minimum of $1200/month by moving, even once increased commuting expenses for my partner are factored in.

Ah great thanks for the input, makes me feel better about living costs! The students I talked to were saying they were paying a grand in a 2 bedroom share. Still waiting to hear from Robert Makuch, and others, about the track! Guess I'm just anxious for info before the decision deadline.

Hello! I got my MPH offers from Yale, Columbia, UW, UCLA and two more schools but I've narrowed down to maybe Yale and Columbia, because I have a better feeling towards studying in one of these two schools lol

I'm in Environmental Health Sciences and I'm an international student, I've thought I would be deciding on Columbia since it has a good ranking and good name and etc...
However, I've been reading and studying so many posts and suggestions and I'm kinda second-guessing my choice... April 15th is right around the corner and I have to mail my decision and payment many days prior the date since I'm from Asia... so... any suggestions on which school would be better? Yale or Columbia?

I like research better, but I'm open to practice work and all different kinds of EHS trainings... A major factor would be transportation since I'll be flying in and certainly won't be driving any time soon in a foreign country...

Thank you!!

Hello! I got my MPH offers from Yale, Columbia, UW, UCLA and two more schools but I've narrowed down to maybe Yale and Columbia, because I have a better feeling towards studying in one of these two schools lol

I'm in Environmental Health Sciences and I'm an international student, I've thought I would be deciding on Columbia since it has a good ranking and good name and etc...
However, I've been reading and studying so many posts and suggestions and I'm kinda second-guessing my choice... April 15th is right around the corner and I have to mail my decision and payment many days prior the date since I'm from Asia... so... any suggestions on which school would be better? Yale or Columbia?

I like research better, but I'm open to practice work and all different kinds of EHS trainings... A major factor would be transportation since I'll be flying in and certainly won't be driving any time soon in a foreign country...

Thank you!!
It's hard to say. I was in a similar position--initially I intended to go to Columbia, but I had a poor impression of it once I visited. I visited three times in an effort to build up enthusiasm, had email exchanges with professors I would work with, and still was left underwhelmed. In contrast, I was impressed by my visit to YSPH. It's considerably less convenient than Columbia because my partner and I will have to move from Brooklyn to New Haven, but it's clear that for my particular interests (biostatistics and chronic disease epidemiology) and goals (research and consulting) YSPH is a better match. So we're moving.

Maybe this will help: look at the curriculum. I mean, really look at it. How relevant does each course seem to you? Are you going to get the skills you need for what you want to do? What finally made me realize that I wasn't going to get what I wanted out of Columbia no matter how hard I tried was when the epi coordinator there told me that if I liked biostats so much I could "eventually" take the applied regression class. I looked at her in horror. I enjoyed my applied regression course in college a decade ago... which is why I went on to get a graduate degree in a quantitative social science and teach statistics and methods. I was startled that the expectations of statistical competence were so low. Once I looked at the curriculum for the epi and epi/biostats programs at each school side by side, I realized that I was going to get much more out of the program at Yale. But that's going to be very different for each person depending on their own history and goals.

I am also an international student and also got into both Yale and Columbia. Between the two, I would choose Yale, for the faculty and university reputation. However, my frustration is between Yale and Boston University. I got a full scholarship plus 20k annual stipend from BU (epi program). On the other hand, since I am an international student, Yale does not offer me any money. Although for me money alone is not a conclusive reason in choosing between the two, it does means something. It makes me think YSPH is really lacking sufficient fund, and therefore I am not sure how much resources they could offer to their students either. On the contrary, BU is generous and Boston as city is amazing. Much much more opportunities than New Haven in health related field. What do you all think? Yale or BU? Thank you all for your insight!

I am also an international student and also got into both Yale and Columbia. Between the two, I would choose Yale, for the faculty and university reputation. However, my frustration is between Yale and Boston University. I got a full scholarship plus 20k annual stipend from BU (epi program). On the other hand, since I am an international student, Yale does not offer me any money. Although for me money alone is not a conclusive reason in choosing between the two, it does means something. It makes me think YSPH is really lacking sufficient fund, and therefore I am not sure how much resources they could offer to their students either. On the contrary, BU is generous and Boston as city is amazing. Much much more opportunities than New Haven in health related field. What do you all think? Yale or BU? Thank you all for your insight!

Having gone to both schools:

Practice/health focus: BU
Research: Yale

Hi Guy. You may come to the wrong place because this forum is for MPH student and you are very likely to be a BU Ph.D applicant.

I applied to Yale MPH 2015 Program and I did not get any decision by far. No admission, No rejection. What happened?

HI. I am accepted to MPH Epidemiology of Infectious Disease program. Still trying to decide between Yale and Emory. I have been awfully confused between the two. Looking for a Yale student who is willing to share their experiences

It's hard to say. I was in a similar position--initially I intended to go to Columbia, but I had a poor impression of it once I visited. I visited three times in an effort to build up enthusiasm, had email exchanges with professors I would work with, and still was left underwhelmed. In contrast, I was impressed by my visit to YSPH. It's considerably less convenient than Columbia because my partner and I will have to move from Brooklyn to New Haven, but it's clear that for my particular interests (biostatistics and chronic disease epidemiology) and goals (research and consulting) YSPH is a better match. So we're moving.

Maybe this will help: look at the curriculum. I mean, really look at it. How relevant does each course seem to you? Are you going to get the skills you need for what you want to do? What finally made me realize that I wasn't going to get what I wanted out of Columbia no matter how hard I tried was when the epi coordinator there told me that if I liked biostats so much I could "eventually" take the applied regression class. I looked at her in horror. I enjoyed my applied regression course in college a decade ago... which is why I went on to get a graduate degree in a quantitative social science and teach statistics and methods. I was startled that the expectations of statistical competence were so low. Once I looked at the curriculum for the epi and epi/biostats programs at each school side by side, I realized that I was going to get much more out of the program at Yale. But that's going to be very different for each person depending on their own history and goals.

Thank you very much for the advice!
But... since I'm in the EHS department, curriculum arrangements are possibly different...? (I hope lol)

Any current Columbia students in EHS?

Thank you very much for the advice!
But... since I'm in the EHS department, curriculum arrangements are possibly different...? (I hope lol)

Any current Columbia students in EHS?
Just to be clear--my advice was not that you should go to Yale. In your case, Columbia really seems like it might be the better choice given the size and strength of EHS there. But even that will depend on your own goals, background, and tolerance for Mailman's huge cohort size. My advice is to find the curricula for *your* programs and look at them side-by-side in order to evaluate how aligned they are with your own goals. For my programs, the curricula were publicly available on the YSPH and Mailman websites.

Please don't just assume. I am indeed a MPH applicant.
OK,brother. My assumption was based on the fact that while most of the US citizens here are struggling for tuition support, you, as an international master degree program applicant, as you said, received full tuition waiver PLUS stipend from BU, a top 10 SPH. Therefore I think you are a PHD applicant of BU. In my original thread, I used the words "May" and "very likely", which I think is scientific and appropriate. Can you tell us what ability make you receive full tuition and stipend from BU as an MPH applicant? Thanks

OK,brother. My assumption was based on the fact that while most of the US citizens here are struggling for tuition support, you, as an international master degree program applicant, as you said, received full tuition waiver PLUS stipend from BU, a top 10 SPH. Therefore I think you are a PHD applicant of BU. In my original thread, I used the words "May" and "very likely", which I think is scientific and appropriate. Can you tell us what ability make you receive full tuition and stipend from BU as an MPH applicant? Thanks

I guess what I mean by assumption is that the title of the thread is clearly written as a MPH thread, and you were challenging my ability of comprehending that. But anyway, I do not think this is something even worth disputing over. Ehhh, what ability? I am not sure. Maybe I had good conversations with the people their during my visit, or maybe it just has a lot of money. I do not know why BU has so much funds while Yale struggles financially.
BTW, I am rejected by my top choice, Harvard, though.

What should I choose? Money is not the most important issue in choosing programs, but I do have to consider it.

And, I am a female.

I guess what I mean by assumption is that the title of the thread is clearly written as a MPH thread, and you were challenging my ability of comprehending that. But anyway, I do not think this is something even worth disputing over. Ehhh, what ability? I am not sure. Maybe I had good conversations with the people their during my visit, or maybe it just has a lot of money. I do not know why BU has so much funds while Yale struggles financially.

What should I choose? Money is not the most important issue in choosing programs, but I do have to consider it.

And, I am a female.
You should go to Boston, I think. Because there are many major hospitals and the job prospects are good. Everyone know that MPH is not a good degree for seeking employment. At BU, you will have better chance to get internship opportunity in hospitals nearby. With regard to Harvard, I think it is not good because it appears to look for international millionaire student who are looking for just fame in return.

Just to be clear--my advice was not that you should go to Yale. In your case, Columbia really seems like it might be the better choice given the size and strength of EHS there. But even that will depend on your own goals, background, and tolerance for Mailman's huge cohort size. My advice is to find the curricula for *your* programs and look at them side-by-side in order to evaluate how aligned they are with your own goals. For my programs, the curricula were publicly available on the YSPH and Mailman websites.

Yes I understand :)
I've been going through the listed courses in both schools... and like the other ongoing conversation, money isn't the only important factor on deciding schools, but as an international student, I still have to take it into consideration...

In my case, I think Columbia would suit me better, because of transportation choices, accessibility to more worldwide organizations or potential working opportunities... I would say the only reason for me for unable to decide Yale or Columbia would be the living cost differences between NYC and New Haven...

And, I am a female.

Went over your conversations and thought it was a bit humorous lol.
If you don't mind, what country are you from?

You should go to Boston, I think. Because there are many major hospitals and the job prospects are good. Everyone know that MPH is not a good degree for seeking employment. At BU, you will have better chance to get internship opportunity in hospitals nearby. With regard to Harvard, I think it is not good because it appears to look for international millionaire student who are looking for just fame in return.

Thank you for your advice. That is also what I am thinking. Boston as a city is amazing.

LOL:dead:

I am from China

Good to know. I had a feeling. Though I'm not an international student, I am from China too. We should definitely get to know each other if you decide to go to Yale.

And I do suggest you go to Yale. Yale is definitely recognized in China, everyone knows the school, from the old to young, but that is not true for BU or even Columbia. And as an international student from China, I don't think you need to worry or take money into account when choosing schools.
The reason I chose Yale is for its small class size. I don't feel like competing with so many natives who are outgoing and fluent at networking at other schools, if you know what I mean.

Good to know. I had a feeling. Though I'm not an international student, I am from China too. We should definitely get to know each other if you decide to go to Yale.

And I do suggest you go to Yale. Yale is definitely recognized in China, everyone knows the school, from the old to young, but that is not true for BU or even Columbia. And as an international student from China, I don't think you need to worry or take money into account when choosing schools.
The reason I chose Yale is for its small class size. I don't feel like competing with so many natives who are outgoing and fluent at networking at other schools, if you know what I mean.
I strongly disagree that you recommend her choose Yale. And I am very angry to see that you said she does not need consider tuition. You can consider just "me me me", but she should consider her family and parents.
And you also don't understand Chinese, she, as a female, pursue Ph.D degree in BU. This means she is going to stay in the States after graduation. So what impression China has on Yale has nothing to do with her career goal.

First of all, I was just expressing my own opinion, take it or not, it's her choice, and I will be happy for her either way.
You can post what you think but don't argue with me about my opinions because it has nothing to do with you.

Although I didn't catch that she is going to BU for Phd, still not sure if that is true, she did not say that she wants to stay in the States for sure, why would you say that for her? And are you an international student? If you are, you will know that China actually has a big market right now, and tons of people are heading back for the profitability that it provides. (And not that BU is bad, but Yale has a stronger reputation than BU in the States as well.)

Most importantly, who are you to judge me that I don't know Chinese? I live in California and 90% of my friends are Chinese and half of them are international students, 3 of my best friends work in China right now. I, myself, go back to China for vacation, have relatives living there, and watch Chinese news...don't want to give you a list to introduce myself but... what I mean is, you don't know me, you can have different opinions on stuff but don't judge me. Feel free to express your own thought because this is what this forum is for, but please be polite and friendly.

Last but not least, about the money/tuition, it just an observation that Chinese families pay for their children's tuition, unlike most of the American families where students need to work their way thru, it's just a cultural difference. And also an observation that most international students are well off because poor people in China wouldn't bother to come to the States, and not to mention that people in China are growing the wealth rapidly nowadays, even the middle class can afford full tuition here. But again, it's just my own observation in my community or friend circle. If you see different, I am happy to hear.

Last edited:
First of all, I was just expressing my own opinion, take it or not, it's her choice, and I will be happy for her either way.
You can post what you think but don't argue with me about my opinions because it has nothing to do with you.

Although I didn't catch that she is going to BU for Phd, still not sure if that is true, she did not say that she wants to stay in the States for sure, why would you say that for her? And are you an international student? If you are, you will know that China actually has a big market right now, and tons of people are heading back for the profitability that it provides. (And not that BU is bad, but Yale has a stronger reputation than BU in the States as well.)

Most importantly, who are you to judge me that I don't know Chinese? I live in California and 90% of my friends are Chinese and half of them are international students, 3 of my best friends work in China right now. I, myself, go back to China for vacation, have relatives living there, and watch Chinese news...don't want to give you a list to introduce myself but... what I mean is, you don't know me, you can have different opinions on stuff but don't judge me. Feel free to express your own thought because this is what this forum is for, but please be polite and friendly.

Last but not least, about the money/tuition, it just an observation that Chinese families pay for their children's tuition, unlike most of the American families where students need to work their way thru, it's just a culture difference. And also an observation that most international students are well off because poor people in China wouldn't bother to come to the States, and not to mention that people in China are growing the wealth rapidly nowadays, even the middle class can afford full tuition here. But again, it's just my own observation in my community or friend circle. If you see different, I am happy to hear.
I am so sorry for making you angry with me. I apologize. But she should go to BU and BU is in keeping with her career goal and her life goal, I believe.

I am so sorry for making you angry with me. I apologize. But she should go to BU and BU is in keeping with her career goal and her life goal, I believe.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know her career/life goals? Because it sounds like you know her personally?
I'm happy for her either way, both are good schools.

I did do research on job/networking opportunities because it is in New Haven and I would assume cities like Boston/DC had better opportunities. But according to what I heard, students had no problems finding good jobs after graduating. And New Haven is really close to NYC and Boston, if you want to end up in big cities. I'm planning to come back to California, so school reputation would be a bit more important in my case. Also being an Ivy school, I wouldn't think the location will hinge job opportunities. And New Haven's cost of living is so much less than big cities (I'm so sick living in expensive cities where you pay so much extra on housing and transportation etc.)

Just out of curiosity, how do you know her career/life goals? Because it sounds like you know her personally?
I'm happy for her either way, both are good schools.

I did do research on job/networking opportunities because it is in New Haven and I would assume cities like Boston/DC had better opportunities. But according to what I heard, students had no problems finding good jobs after graduating. And New Haven is really close to NYC and Boston, if you want to end up in big cities. I'm planning to come back to California, so school reputation would be a bit more important in my case. Also being an Ivy school, I wouldn't think the location will hinge job opportunities. And New Haven's cost of living is so much less than big cities (I'm so sick living in expensive cities where you pay so much extra on housing and transportation etc.)
I do not know her at all and I just make my comments based on common sense and my experience. It should be noted that you and her are totally different, you hold US passport or at least green card, thus it is much easier for you to find jobs after graduation. She, on the other hand, would have low chance of getting employed with a MPH degree even from Yale, let alone that Yale give her no financial aid. However, in BU, she is a PHD candidate and she will have higher chance finding jobs after graduation. Even if she is an BU MPH candidate, the fact that she got the amazing stipend indicates that there is a professor in BU who wants to use her immediately, increasing her chance of building job-related network immediately.

I do not know her at all and I just make my comments based on common sense and my experience. It should be noted that you and her are totally different, you hold US passport or at least green card, thus it is much easier for you to find jobs after graduation. She, on the other hand, would have low chance of getting employed with a MPH degree even from Yale, let alone that Yale give her no financial aid. However, in BU, she is a PHD candidate and she will have higher chance finding jobs after graduation. Even if she is an BU MPH candidate, the fact that she got the amazing stipend indicates that there is a professor in BU who wants to use her immediately, increasing her chance of building job-related network immediately.

First of all, if its an MPH vs Phd, then it is no question that one should choose Phd, I agree with you. But I really didn't catch that she is going for Phd at BU, so my opinions are solely based on MPH vs MPH. Sorry if she posted that it is a Phd degree, if not, you are making assumptions again like you do with many other points of yours.

Of course I am aware that it is difficult for international students to find stable jobs after graduating, but just because we are different, doesn't mean I can't express my opinions right? Everyone is different on this forum, but we still would like to help, I'm sure she can sort out the differences and only take advices that apply to her, herself.
And I do not know if she will have a hard time getting a job after graduating from either BU or Yale, I'm not even sure about myself, being a non international student. So again, it is just my opinion that Yale provides tons of opportunities/networking, equally if not more, compared to BU.

Last edited: