Yale-New Haven Hospital TY Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corn Dog

Dream Big
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As most of you are, I am trying to land a spot in a cush TY program, preferably in the NE area. I applied to the Yale TY program, because per FREIDA, the ave # of work hours per week was 50, which is lower than most other "cush" programs in the NE.

After scheduling the interview, I discovered that the program requires 5 ward months, 2 gen surgery months, and 1 ED month in addition to other requirements. I cannot see how one could average just 50 hours per week with this kind of schedule. It actually sounds worse than a prelim med year.

Would appreciate any feedback/comment on this program. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As most of you are, I am trying to land a spot in a cush TY program, preferably in the NE area. I applied to the Yale TY program, because per FREIDA, the ave # of work hours per week was 50, which is lower than most other "cush" programs in the NE.

After scheduling the interview, I discovered that the program requires 5 ward months, 2 gen surgery months, and 1 ED month in addition to other requirements. I cannot see how one could average just 50 hours per week with this kind of schedule. It actually sounds worse than a prelim med year.

Would appreciate any feedback/comment on this program. Thanks.
Can't speak to this program (which literally started for the first time only this past July) but the FRIEDA website is horribly inaccurate about those kind of questions. I think program coordinators are allowed to put in their own unverified estimates.

Can't speak to this program (which literally started for the first time only this past July) but the FRIEDA website is horribly inaccurate about those kind of questions. I think program coordinators are allowed to put in their own unverified estimates.

I believe it started this year in name only, previously it was the St. Raphael TY. Yale just happened to acquire the hospital. Seemed pretty cush when I interviewed there last year, but I can't be certain it hasn't changed.

You'll be hard pressed to find places with fewer ward months than that...some advanced programs require a minimum amount of ward months to be counted (plus EM and ICU requirements).

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, if we didn't get an invite right away from these TY programs..are they likely to send out multiple waves?

Thanks, everyone! I'll go the interview and check it out.

Also, if we didn't get an invite right away from these TY programs..are they likely to send out multiple waves?
Multiple waves are common. Also lots of people cancel when the interviews clash with advanced program slots.