Year off Research pros and cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tripp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyone thought about doing a 5-year program with a year off for research. I'm sort of thinking about it but not sure at all. I'm interested in academic medicine and plan on doing summer research already but I could also do a research year that would be paid for and maybe even get some free tuition for some other years.

Members don't see this ad.

I keep thinking about it myself. I have been going back and forth, but at the moment am thinking it isn't worth it just because I am not sure that it is really going to get me that far ahead. I want to go into academic medicine as well, but I already have my name on some papers, and I just don't feel like sacraficing an entire year would be worth it. As much as I would enjoying taking a break to be in a lab, I think I just rather crank out the next couple years and move on to where I really want to be

I am currently in a year-out program and couldn't be happier. Granted that I partially decided to take a year off to be with my fiancee (and coordinate our residency applications) but I'm really enjoying being back in the lab.

I think if you can find adequate funding for the research you'd like to do and are really interested in bolstering your application for a future in academic medicine taking a year off is a great idea. There's a lot of programs out there that provide both funding and a name to put on your CV.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering what everyone thought about doing a 5-year program with a year off for research. I'm sort of thinking about it but not sure at all. I'm interested in academic medicine and plan on doing summer research already but I could also do a research year that would be paid for and maybe even get some free tuition for some other years.

I am pretty set on getting medical school over with as soon as humanly possible. There will be plenty of time to do research during residency, and if you want to go into academics, you will be welcome.

This question comes up all the time in M.D./Ph.D. threads. Many mudphuds I know are very rusty with H/P's and presenting to docs when they come back.

I myself am a previous scientist, and I have done a great deal of talking to people at all levels when it comes to altering your activities to relieve tuition burdens or make money while in school. Overwhelmingly, people say to just stick with the loans, and it is best to start practicing your physical exam and presenting skills as soon as you learn them.

Also, the value of summer research in the basic sciences is questionable.

I've consitered this as well. For a while I thought it might be nice compromise between MD/PhD (which I'm not sure I'm ready to add another 3-5 years to my education for right now) and juat getting my MD. I'm going to keep reading up on the HHMI and NIH programs, but I'm currently leaning towards summer research and spending time doing research during my 4th year electives, writing an honors thesis, and doing a research fellowship or post-doc after residency. I definitely am interested in academic medicine, but it seems like there are a lot of ways to get to that end point. I'd be open to suggestions, however!

I think in a lot of ways it depends very much on what type of residency/field you're looking to go in to. I'm currently in a Radiation Oncology lab and I can tell you that it is certainly a field dominated by research. 75% of residents in the top 10 programs are MD/PhDs and if you haven't done significant research (with publications) then you are at a definite disadvantage applying to those programs. It's very difficult to be competitive with someone who's done 4-5 years of hardcore research when you've only got a few months under your belt.

I also did summer research (basic science) but found that I accomplished barely enough to write a short proposal for my current year-long program. If you're only planning to do summer research I'd suggest doing clinical research as this can produce meaningful publications in just a few months.

Doing research 4th year is also a good idea, but depending on how your school arranges your schedule it may be difficult to get it on your application. Again, returning to Rad. Onc., I've talked to residents that say not submitting your ERAS on September 1 can put you at a disadvantage as programs start screening based on research and scores even before the Dean's letter and LORs are in. Since the summer is also often taken up with away rotations at schools where you might want to match, that doesn't leave a lot of time to do research and get it into your application.

Unfortunately it's kind of a catch-22. The top programs always provide excellent time and resources to do research during residency but also want you to have done a lot of research before they'll accept you.

I'm currently doing the HHMI fellows program and have enjoyed both the freedom to arrange my own project but also the guidance provided by HHMI. I also have classmates in the cloisters program that are having a great time. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you!

I am also doing the HHMI Med Fellows program and love it. Talking to doctors, there has not been one of them that hasn't mentioned the significant advantage being awarded a fellowship like this will give me in residency applications. In addition, if you have a good project and can get your name on a couple of publications, then it is even a further advantage. Aside from that, it is a great program and I am having a great year. That is my two cents. I just want to give a thumbs up to the HHMI program but I am sure similar programs are similarly as good.