Year off Studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ru4real1666

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just started my year off doing some research in Ortho, and I'll have some down time (though not a lot because I want to publish as much as possible). Can I get any advice on how to spend that time wisely/aka any advice from MS4s or ortho interns as to what to do.

Note: I have not done my home or away ortho rotations yet. Working on anatomy is obviously something that I need to do, but any specific advice will be appreciated. Thank you guys so much!

Sincerely,
Year off MS3

Members don't see this ad.

Not a resident, but I would suggest knowing Netter's Concise Orthopaedic Anatomy and Handbook of Fractures.

Not a resident, but I would suggest knowing Netter's Concise Orthopaedic Anatomy and Handbook of Fractures.
+1 for Netter's. No one would expect you to know Handbook of Fractures as a student, but it wouldn't hurt

Knowing fracture classifications was golden on all of my away rotations, bonus if you knew how that affected management/method of surgical correction of said fracture. Refreshing your anatomy knowledge will certainly be helpful as well. Realistically though, focus on your research and whatever free time you have, enjoy it by doing something relaxing or fun. You will have plenty of time during 4th year to study these things on rotation where you can correlate them with an actual patient where it is more likely to stay in your knowledge base for longer. I find it much easier to learn and retain things when I am able to relate it to a patient and have a specific purpose to learning that material.

I also found Hoppenfeld's Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics a great resource while on rotations. Tells you everything you encounter during each step of the approach and what to watch out for. Incredibly helpful to orient yourself for surgery and what anatomy to be looking out for as you go. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 user