Year off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Asnan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was rejected from my final dental school. I have a year off now :) !

Looking what to do here.

considering:

-starting a new bachelors degree so I can have a backup if I dont get in next cycle (looking for suggeestions, considering engineering.)
-Doing a masters in somthing related to dental school

Next cycle I will have ~3.52 gpa and 21/21/18 DAT so I should be able to get in barring any further setbacks. :(

Members don't see this ad.

A masters is probably worth more than a second bachelors.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldnt waste money on doing Masters. I wouldnt risk lowering your gpa doing engineering. How are your ECs? I would first talk to the schools you got rejected and see what you can improve on.

Members don't see this ad :)
My only concern is that you mention you applied this cycle with a 3.81/3.82 - is your gpa dropping .3? That is a worrying sign...

Do a Master's Program or shadow more/ do more at a dental office. Do volunteer work that is associated with oral care.

As for the Master's Program, do research in Oral Biology.

Do a 1 year non-thesis masters while working as an RDA if you still have any passion for dentistry (I only say this because you wrote you might be considering engineering).

Also, I agree with above, is your GPA dropping a lot? You claimed to have had a 3.9 back in December, 3.85 a month ago, and now you're looking at a 3.52? That's a troubling sign... I would definitely aim for an upward trend if you attempt another degree.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I would talk to the schools like someone else mentioned. Your DAT score is fine and minus the drop in GPA (what happened?), it's still pretty good. That should give you some guidance on what to work on. Have you asked any of them yet?