Yeshiva- diversity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hope4change23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm a new member but I've been reading your threads for over a year now! Thanks for all the helpful advice, and I'm hoping you can help me with my question! =)

I have an interview scheduled with Yeshiva for their Psy.D. program, but I can't decide whether or not I should attend. My primary concern is that Yeshiva may not be diverse enough for my comfort. I know that it is a Jewish university, but I'm wondering if their Psy.D. program is more diverse. I read on Yeshiva's combined school-clinical child psyD website that only 37% of their students are not Jewish (I couldn't find stats for their general PsyD program). As an Asian-American, being in a diverse environment is pretty important to me.

So my question is: How diverse is Yeshiva's Psy.D. program?

Thank you so much!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Its true that the school is not very diverse. Sadly, many programs are not and this is something you may find all over, but, perhaps, particularly at Yeshiva. That being said, there is not a hostile environement and the combined programs attends to issues of diversity much moreso than the adult PsyD program. But if it is high up on your list, you may want to go look elsewhere.

Hope that helps

I don't go to Yeshiva, but did interview there a few years back when I was applying to doctoral programs (combined clincal/school). I have a friend who graduated from there two years ago. From what my observations were and what my friend told me, it seems that a majority of the students were white/jewish. However, it also seemed that there was a sizeable number people from diverse racial/ethnic backgrounds and that a good proportion of the non-jews were from diverse backgrounds. The program seems more diverse, I would add, than my current doctoral program (also in an urban area). Unfortunately, professional psych as a whole does a horrible job with recruitment, retention, and graduation of folks from diverse cultural/ethnic backgrounds. Good luck!

Hello everyone,
I'm a new member but I've been reading your threads for over a year now! Thanks for all the helpful advice, and I'm hoping you can help me with my question! =)

I have an interview scheduled with Yeshiva for their Psy.D. program, but I can't decide whether or not I should attend. My primary concern is that Yeshiva may not be diverse enough for my comfort. I know that it is a Jewish university, but I'm wondering if their Psy.D. program is more diverse. I read on Yeshiva's combined school-clinical child psyD website that only 37% of their students are not Jewish (I couldn't find stats for their general PsyD program). As an Asian-American, being in a diverse environment is pretty important to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
For whatever reason, school psychology in general tends to not be a very diverse field even when compared to other psychology fields. The vast majority of new students in the field tend to be white females. I believe that Asians tend to be particularly rare in school psych for whatver reason. Many programs are strongly aware of their need for more diversity and place some value of people from other backgrounds. But they are limited by the people who actually apply.

Hello everyone,

You're concerned about whether or not you should attend the interview. What are the real risks of attending? Financial issues? Fear of standing out? Sounds to me like the interview would be the perfect chance to gauge the diversity of the program and ask questions about it.

I attended the interview for the Ph.D. program on Wednesday, and the students told us that their cohort consists of 16 white females and one white male. They did say that the University is actively attempting to attract minority scholars (both students and faculty), however looking around I'd definitely say it wasn't particularly diverse, even compared to other places I've interviewed so far.

Hello everyone,

You're concerned about whether or not you should attend the interview. What are the real risks of attending? Financial issues? Fear of standing out? Sounds to me like the interview would be the perfect chance to gauge the diversity of the program and ask questions about it.

Yes, agree. I would think that attending the interview day gives you a feel about the culture at Yeshiva, i.e., it would be your opportunity to check out whether it feels like a good fit in terms of diversity or, if a lack therefore, whether you would want to contribute to more diversity :)

Hello everyone,

you'll be bringing diversity to that site; spin it that way. also, you'll be a hot commodity for dating :p

I don't attend Yeshiva, but I do attend grad school in NYC. Even if your program isn't very ethnically/racially diverse, you will get multicultural training and exposure to diverse groups while on externship in one of the NYC training sites. I am also Asian American, and I live in the neighborhood (Washington Heights), which is predominantly Latino (Dominican to be exact). However, you're a short subway ride to multiple Asian American communities in lower Manhattan (Chinese), Queens (Chinese, South Asian, Filipino, Korean), and the Bronx (Vietnamese, Cambodian); plus a short bus ride to Ft. Lee in New Jersey (right across the GW Bridge) which has a huge Korean and Japanese American communities.

Unless you have tons of interview offers, why would you not attend this interview? Yeshiva is a very solid program, and I've met other students while on externship who are just terrific clinicians! GoOD LUCK!

I don't attend Yeshiva, but I do attend grad school in NYC. Even if your program isn't very ethnically/racially diverse, you will get multicultural training and exposure to diverse groups while on externship in one of the NYC training sites. I am also Asian American, and I live in the neighborhood (Washington Heights), which is predominantly Latino (Dominican to be exact). However, you're a short subway ride to multiple Asian American communities in lower Manhattan (Chinese), Queens (Chinese, South Asian, Filipino, Korean), and the Bronx (Vietnamese, Cambodian); plus a short bus ride to Ft. Lee in New Jersey (right across the GW Bridge) which has a huge Korean and Japanese American communities.

Unless you have tons of interview offers, why would you not attend this interview? Yeshiva is a very solid program, and I've met other students while on externship who are just terrific clinicians! GoOD LUCK!

Agree with this. Although I can understand wanting a program with greater diversity. I'd keep an open mind and allow it to be one of many factors you consider in where to attend.

Finances were a major concern. I'm flying to Chicago, D.C., and potentially New York at a later date (if I get into any of the MSWs I applied to! *crosses fingers*), so I don't want to fly out from California for an interview I am not sure about. And you're completely right, the interview would be a perfect opportunity to see firsthand whether or not I feel comfortable there..thanks for the input!!

(apologies for the repeat post, still getting the hang of this forum..lol)

Finances were a major concern. I'm flying to Chicago, D.C., and potentially New York at a later date (if I get into any of the MSWs I applied to! *crosses fingers*), so I don't want to fly out from California for an interview I am not sure about. And you're completely right, the interview would be a perfect opportunity to see firsthand whether or not I feel comfortable there..thanks for the input!!

Thanks for the input, everybody!! It was really helpful to hear all of your opinions. I think I will attend the interview to gauge my comfort level..if I don't attend, I think I'll always wonder "what if." Best to test the waters myself!

Cheers for helpful psych people! :luck:

Jewish culture can be considered an "ethnic" minority, especially given the sizable Orthodox population at the school. Certainly the majority of Jewish urban students would differ from a largely white population in Alabama. While I think you can look at program and judge it as "plain white bread," I think cultural subtleties (especially in therapy, actually) are interesting as well.

Although it may not be too apparent from the outside, the 3 Yeshiva programs are really different from each other... I am an "ethnic minority" (regular) Clinical Psy. D student, and I love it so far! For me, there are many aspects of the program that make it a great fit. Although a lot of people may appear "white," less than half of my cohorts are practicing Jews.

Your experience at Yeshiva will really depend on your attitude. Certain professors make the "Jewish jokes." Some men wear yarmulkes. I sometimes join my classmates to go eat at the kosher cafeteria. If you are not are open to learning more about diverse cultures (including the Jewish culture!), Yeshiva/NYC may not be the best fit for you. No matter which NYC school you go to (CUNY, Fordham, LIU, etc), people of Jewish background will be largely represented. Coming from California, it will be a major culture shock for you no matter which NYC program you choose to attend.

FYI I also interviewed at NYC/other major East Coast city clinical psych programs, and I ran into only one Asian candidate.

Your experience at Yeshiva will really depend on your attitude. Certain professors make the "Jewish jokes." Some men wear yarmulkes. I sometimes join my classmates to go eat at the kosher cafeteria. If you are not are open to learning more about diverse cultures (including the Jewish culture!), Yeshiva/NYC may not be the best fit for you. No matter which NYC school you go to (CUNY, Fordham, LIU, etc), people of Jewish background will be largely represented. Coming from California, it will be a major culture shock for you no matter which NYC program you choose to attend.

It's true, even at Fordham, which is technically a Catholic school, you will see guys in yarmulkes. New York has a large Jewish presence no matter where you are.

By the way, even though Fordham is a Jesuit university, it does NOT impose its Catholic beliefs/practices on its graduate students.

Also, generally Asian Americans are under-represented in the mental health profession (more over-represented in the medical profession), but I think many schools in NYC try their best to recruit racial/ethnic minorities and promote a multicultural training environment. I'm in a Phd program in NYC, and my cohort of 10 has 3 Asian Americans (me included), 1 Jamaican American, and 3 males. We also have 2 non-traditional students (2nd career / starting PhD program in their 30's), which is really refreshing because they put things in perspective and don't sweat things that bother us 20-somethings.

. . . , but I think many schools in NYC try their best to recruit racial/ethnic minorities and promote a multicultural training environment.

I think that this is likely true for most programs regardless of location. :thumbup:

I think that this is likely true for most programs regardless of location. :thumbup:
Well I am not suggesting that non-NYC schools don't care about diversity! It's just that psychperson makes it seem like there are few (one?) Asian American applicants s/he came across during interview process in NYC, and I certainly don't want hope4change23 to have the impression that NYC schools / placements aren't diverse.

Well I am not suggesting that non-NYC schools don't care about diversity! It's just that psychperson makes it seem like there are few (one?) Asian American applicants s/he came across during interview process in NYC, and I certainly don't want hope4change23 to have the impression that NYC schools / placements aren't diverse.

I have no intention to discourage students from choosing Yeshiva. Of course diversity is good! You actually get to work with an amazingly diverse population at the school's in-house clinic. Still it is true that I interacted with very few Asian (American/International) students, applicants and faculty during the interview process. I just wanted to emphasize that a clinical psych program in NYC probably will not be Berkeley/UCI/other CA schools. With that said, my Yeshiva experience is a very positive one and would love to share it with other students, especially fellow West Coasters!

I was also thinking about attending this school,and the topic of how diverse it is came into my mind.The way that I look at is some colleges are more diverse than others is it a good school is my main focus.