Army Yet another HPSP/Medical Waiver Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

montgomery225

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is a breakdown of my dilemma. I am interested in applying for the Army HPSP scholarship but am concerned with the medical waiver process. I was diagnosed with ADHD and placed on medication (i hated it... only took it a few times) for a very BRIEF period of time to see if it had any benefit. This was 4 years ago.

Also, recently (4 months ago) I experienced a panic attack while on a trip overseas. I saw a local doctor and he gave me a xanax to calm me down and sent me on my way. I followed up with my PCP in the US with this issue and he offered me medication but I refused and have been fine since then. I know this is going to create red flags on my physical/application since it has happened so recently. Is it even worth mentioning any of this? Is a waiver possible? I only pose this question since I feel the commissioning standards will have me disqualified immediately.

Any input is greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

By the way, there may be more active duty personnel ON ADHD meds than not. At least according to my clinic this morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, there may be more active duty personnel ON ADHD meds than not. At least according to my clinic this morning.

These types smartly wait until they are in the military before suddenly developing ADHD.

To the OP, I don't want to sugarcoat things but it will be a red flag if the military finds out. Sure you may be able to get a waiver but the military is becoming more choosy. I do know that having being deployed, management of psychotropic medications can be a pain in the butt in an operational setting. These underlying conditions always typically flare in deployed settings and if a service member is affected they are of no use to the commander/supervisors.

So here is a breakdown of my dilemma. I am interested in applying for the Army HPSP scholarship but am concerned with the medical waiver process. I was diagnosed with ADHD and placed on medication (i hated it... only took it a few times) for a very BRIEF period of time to see if it had any benefit. This was 4 years ago.

Also, recently (4 months ago) I experienced a panic attack while on a trip overseas. I saw a local doctor and he gave me a xanax to calm me down and sent me on my way. I followed up with my PCP in the US with this issue and he offered me medication but I refused and have been fine since then. I know this is going to create red flags on my physical/application since it has happened so recently. Is it even worth mentioning any of this? Is a waiver possible? I only pose this question since I feel the commissioning standards will have me disqualified immediately.

Any input is greatly appreciated

Well here is the deal. You have now admitted you had ADHD and it was diagnosed. You stopped taking the medication on your own, your doctor did not take you off it. According to the military you would be PDQ. If you fail to disclose it and they later find out and you have someone who suspects it was pre-existing then they can get your records and you could be faced with fraudulent enlistment.