Yet another new school. In California. Imagine that.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw this today in my inbox. How many CA pharmacy schools will this make now?

Founding Dean, Pharmacy - West Coast University (WCU) :confused:
Salary: 200,000 to 250,000

The new school of pharmacy will be based on WCU’s North Hollywood campus in Los Angeles, California and join nursing, dental hygiene and graduate programs in nursing and health care administration at the site. It is expected that an inaugural class of 65 will enroll in the Fall Term of 2013.

http://www.accp.com/careers/onlinePositionListings.aspx?mode=view&id=39318

Members don't see this ad.

Saw this today in my inbox. How many CA pharmacy schools will this make now?

Founding Dean, Pharmacy - West Coast University (WCU) :confused:
Salary: 200,000 to 250,000

The new school of pharmacy will be based on WCU’s North Hollywood campus in Los Angeles, California and join nursing, dental hygiene and graduate programs in nursing and health care administration at the site. It is expected that an inaugural class of 65 will enroll in the Fall Term of 2013.

http://www.accp.com/careers/onlinePositionListings.aspx?mode=view&id=39318

LA??? :annoyed:

How are they gonna find enough rotation sites for their students?

Members don't see this ad :)
:eek:

and its opening in LA too?? This is outrageous

:eek:

and its opening in LA too?? This is outrageous

Not even LA...it's in freakin' NoHo.

I do find solace that, even if they manage to open, I'll have at least 5yrs experience vs. the grads coming out of here. Hopefully that's enough to stay ahead.

SHould i even finish my last two years? With this rate of new school we will be making tech wages in 10 yrs.

i'm in my first semester and i've been pretty internally conflicted about staying with this program. Every time I think of all the doom and gloom while busting my ass studying I get a little sick to my stomach knowing that I could sink all this time, effort, and money into something with such a poor job outlook. Furthermore there is very little pride shown by a good amount of members of this profession... pretty sad.

Anyone ever mention this one opening up in 2012. It's located in Signal Hill, CA which is just about 25 miles from downtown LA. I've seen them advertising on craiglists for jobs.

AUHS NEWS

SCHOOL OF PHARMACY SCHEDULED FOR 2012
The AUHS School of Pharmacy is scheduled for year 2012 with Bachelors of Science in Pharmaceutical Science (BSPS), and the Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm D.) program. The BSPS is planned to be a unique program that will allow Baccalaureate level students to have early exposure to Pharmaceutical Sciences, properly preparing and brining smoother transition into the Pharm D. program. AUHS BSPS program will also have BSPS students to acquire Pharmacy Technician certification during the course. Keep following our news for updates on the School of Pharmacy.

http://www.auhs.edu/new/Homepage.php?postID=226&action=veiw

Samuel Merritt College is also planning a pharmacy school in Oakland.

This abomination is planning one for 2012 also...
http://www.ccspedu.org/
Central California School of Pharmacy

That makes 5 new schools, plus the others that recently opened.

Members don't see this ad :)
Samuel Merritt College is also planning a pharmacy school in Oakland.

This abomination is planning one for 2012 also...
http://www.ccspedu.org/
Central California School of Pharmacy

That makes 5 new schools, plus the others that recently opened.

Does that make 13 pharmacy school in CA?

Not bad! :thumbup:

oh wellz, glad i didnt buy a nice car and instead, used my money to pay back my loans.

Like I had said it before, don't count on the ACPE to raise its standards or even enforce its standards. Whatever happened to regional accreditation and what is the time limit to getting regional accreditation?

The only way now is to make the CPJE even harder. 10 years ago, the passage rate was only 50% and it was given only twice a year.

oh wellz, glad i didnt buy a nice car and instead, used my money to pay back my loans.

Like I had said it before, don't count on the ACPE to raise its standards or even enforce its standards. Whatever happened to regional accreditation and what is the time limit to getting regional accreditation?

The only way now is to make the CPJE even harder. 10 years ago, the passage rate was only 50% and it was given only twice a year.

"Like"

they'll just go over to AZ and get licensed then..

Hehe ouch Z.

Maybe our illegal hating governor, failing education system, searing heat, and Sarah Palin book signings will keep them away. We don't need no more cali folk in these parts ;)

It took WVU like 3.5 months to get my wife her diploma after she graduated. Can I go on a psychotic mission of attempting to destroy the lives of the people that work there, too?

I'm so relieved.. I thought we were about to see oversupply of pharmacists..only to have CCSP in Fresno assure me there will need 420,000 pharmacists by 2020..

I appreciate all the info I can get!

I would like to make a donation to that school because they really seem like they care about the region in supporting the underserved communities of the California Central Valley.

And at a very discounted nominal tuition fee of $35,000 per year, heck, I'll go back and redo the pharmacy school again!

Sign me up!

:thumbup:

I'm so relieved.. I thought we were about to see oversupply of pharmacists..only to have CCSP in Fresno assure me there will need 420,000 pharmacists by 2020..

I appreciate all the info I can get!

I would like to make a donation to that school because they really seem like they care about the region in supporting the underserved communities of the California Central Valley.

And at a very discounted nominal tuition fee of $35,000 per year, heck, I'll go back and redo the pharmacy school again!

Sign me up!

:thumbup:

And don't forget the powerhouse rotation sites of Kaweah Delta, St. Agnes, etc.

And don't forget the powerhouse rotation sites of Kaweah Delta, St. Agnes, etc.

Kaweah Delta has 2 openings, BTW. Of course, you must have the Pharm.D./PGY1 combo (or 3 years of experience).

I had a phone interview last week, and the chief pharmacist didn't know what a PGY1 was! Maybe I actually have a chance at this place; they haven't sent me a "You Suck Letter" yet so I'm probably still a candidate.

I had a phone interview last week, and the chief pharmacist didn't know what a PGY1 was!

do you really want to work for someone who doesnt know what a PGY1 is?

do you really want to work for someone who doesnt know what a PGY1 is?

He'd never heard that abbreviation before. This was a big hospital in a medium sized city, and he said that the nearest pharmacy school (my alma mater, BTW) doesn't place huge emphasis on residencies. Not yet, anyway.

Of course he knew what I was talking about once I defined it.

Love how the link they provide shows BLS #'s of 45000 between 2008-2018 and they say 70000 in 2 years.
Dude that guy in the pic is a total dork...is he reading a dictionary?

I always see this figure/idea...it never made sense to me. What's the *eventual* pass rate for the CPJE over, say, 2-3 exams? If I sunk 4yrs & $50-$150k into a degree and failed on the first attempt, I'm not just gonna pack up and walk away.

I'd piss another couple grand away on a review course...every test is beatable. If I failed 3x I'd maybe try my luck in Nevada or something, but I feel like this is too small to make a difference. If anything, it's like throwing a few logs into a river hoping it slows down.

I'd love some data on true walk-aways, but that'd be tough to capture.

It makes a huge difference in the past since the passage rate is only 50%.

People who were raised in Cali and want to practice in Cali would try again and again but not for out of state people. They may try once and if they failed or think it is too difficult to pass, then they would give up. It is sad but some people just don't have the knowledge or determination to pass.

Right now if you failed 4x then you would need to enroll a semester at a pharmacy school and that caused many people to just give up and move out of state. It is competitive in Cali not just in pharmacy but in other professions as well. Whether or not you agree with it, the board exam has limited the number of professionals in Cali.

What caused the CPJE to be easier and the passing rates much higher.

Some retails lobbied the board of pharmacy stating that the low passage rate caused California to have one of the highest shortage of pharmacists in nation. The board eventually changed the exam from a written exam to a multiple choice exam and instead of giving it q6m, it is given thru-out the year. It also accepted the NAPLEX as one of its exams. The passage rate climbed from 50% to 75-80% now.

HOnestly some of us outside the realm of pharmacy knew this would eventually happen. You do NOT mess with corporate america! Years ago when there truly was a shortage of pharmacists a majority of us knew that the corporations would somehow have to ensure there was a supply of pharmacists available and at cheaper wages. WIth these new drug plans advertising $2 generics they gotta stay competitive and lowering the cost of wages is one way. I just wonder whats going to happen to the poor souls who drop $200,000 on a pharmD education by going to one of these new schools.

I just wonder whats going to happen to the poor souls who drop $200,000 on a pharmD education by going to one of these new schools.

IBR + PSLF = I'm putting the American taxpayer on the hook for ~half my student loan balance. woohoo! Thank you George W. Bush.

On another note, I guess there'll be some faculty positions opening up in the next few years....

It makes a huge difference in the past since the passage rate is only 50%.

People who were raised in Cali and want to practice in Cali would try again and again but not for out of state people. They may try once and if they failed or think it is too difficult to pass, then they would give up. It is sad but some people just don't have the knowledge or determination to pass.

Like I said, I'm not interested in the one time pass rate, I'm hoping for phantom data on ultimate pass rate.

And I'm not worried about out-of-staters...I'm worried about the future students who, in the absence of these vocational/trade schools, would have gone out-of-state and thus less likely to seek CA licensure immediately. They'll become essentially a captive audience and less likely to uproot and move upon 1st or 2nd failure. This is my argument that a harder test is like throwing a rock at a train.

The initial fail rate can plummet to 40% but if you have a comfortable student population unwilling to relocate (ie move back home, milk your intern license) and willing to stick it out for a few months and the ultimate pass rate is 80%....we're still in deep doo-doo.

q6mo is a better way to reduce supply (as you mentioned), two fails = 1 year lost salary (at least), that changes everyone's value proposition.

But more test takers more often = more $$$ for your cash-strapped/furloughed BOP = cheaper labor for the retail lobby = no chance in hell we'll go back.

*Every test is beatable, that's my bias...you don't have to be a genius or particularly skilled to do well on any test.

I want the saturation to be prevented as much as anyone, but if the solution is to test on minutiae that very few students who have photographic like memory can answer, i think we are in trouble. Naplex is already going to be harder from i hear. They are adding check all that apply questions, some written component, as well. The exam should test what a pharmacist should know to be competent on a regular basis foremost.

Well, he did go to an unaccredited law school. In California, you don't need to go to law school to become a lawyer, just pass the bar exam.

How many times did JFK Jr. fail the bar exam? 3 or 4 at least, IIRC. This really isn't all that unusual.

A few weeks ago, I applied for a hospital job in a small town a few hours away, and then remembered that one of my classmates was from there and decided to look him up. Long story made short: I found out that he died in 2005 but was not able to find out why. :(

And then the thought crossed my mind that at least I wouldn't have to compete with him for a job. :eek: What an awful thing to think about somebody, especially someone who leaves us at the age of 34.

AND THEN it turned out the job had already been filled by the time I applied for it, and hadn't been removed from the website.

It's missing at least two Florida schools! :laugh:

Guess they need someone to staff those pill mills. :(

Whenever I called a Florida pharmacy for transfers (we had a lot of snowbirds), the pharmacists were almost always Asian women who spoke marginal English.

Guess they need someone to staff those pill mills. :(

Whenever I called a Florida pharmacy for transfers (we had a lot of snowbirds), the pharmacists were almost always Asian women who spoke marginal English.

You are a fun poster, you know that? Neither of those statements are the least bit connected to my statement that the link is missing two Florida schools (or three depending on how you count).

In fact the only point of your first statement seems to be that Florida has a pill mill problem (no dispute there), which is entirely unrelated to my post about the website. Then you follow it up with some bizarre thing about only getting copies in Florida from asian women who don't speak English well, which is even more obscure than your first statement. :laugh:

You are a fun poster, you know that? Neither of those statements are the least bit connected to my statement that the link is missing two Florida schools (or three depending on how you count).

In fact the only point of your first statement seems to be that Florida has a pill mill problem (no dispute there), which is entirely unrelated to my post about the website. Then you follow it up with some bizarre thing about only getting copies in Florida from asian women who don't speak English well, which is even more obscure than your first statement. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

Total randomness does make for thread fun, no?