Yet another reapplicant thread! 3.8/34 minimal changes to application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheShaker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm gonna go ahead and join the othrers in making a reapplicant thread since I'm still trying to debate whether I should reapply now or wait a year. Here are my circumstances.

Verified

9/8/12, complete at schools around mid-sept to early oct.

Numbers

cGPA = 3.85
sGPA = 3.81
MCAT: 11PS/11VR/12BS = 34Q

ECs *At the time of application in 2012*

100 hrs clinical volunteering in the ER and ICU
100 hrs non-clinical volunteering assisting paralyzed ALS patient in his home
3 yrs of research - no publications, one minor poster
Various research grants. 4 for $500 and 3 for $50.
Supplemental Instruction Leader for one semester.

Outcome

I received 5 interviews total - attended 2 in November/December and 3 in Feb. I got 4 waitlists and one rejection.

So, the question is whether I should reapply given that I don't have many changes to my application this time around. I will have the same LORs and I will try to rewrite my essays. My PS mostly focused on how I wanted to be a scientist and my process of switching over to medicine to become a physician scientist. If anyone would like to read it, I am happy to send it to readers that I recognize (forum regulars).

New additions

I'm still in the same research lab, the experience will go from 3 years of research to almost 4 years of research. I may or may not have a first author publication by June. We have submitted the manuscript and I should hear back in about one month.

I just started shadowing an orthopedic surgeon this week and will likely have about 10 hours shadowing by the time I apply.

Started a community service experience with OC Parks cleaning and maintaining the hiking trails of SoCal. Might have around 10 hours by the time I apply.

Hobbies - I did not include these in my application, I am still not sure just how important they are. This time I'll just have a generic section for my hobbies including hiking, fishing, and physical fitness/weightlifting.

So, I am worried that I do not have enough changes to my application. Something that I am particularly worried about is that I stopped my clinical volunteering as soon as I applied which makes me look like a box checker.

There are some pros and cons that I have considered with reapplying this year.

Pros

-Maybe I'll get in and potentially save a year.

-If I wait one year and then reapply, I might not get in and my MCAT score will expire,
leaving me to take the newer and unfamiliar one.

-Cost will be lighter, I can qualify for FAP which I did not know existed last year.

Cons

-Being a third time applicant carries a stigma.

-Burnout if I get rejected again.

-Harder to find gap year employment if I only have one year to commit.

There we have it. I'm happy to divulge details about my application and even more to forum regulars and the adcoms/faculty of this forum. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With your numbers and ECs, I'm surprised you didn't get an acceptance, so several things come to mind:

You bombed your interviews. Now, you probably think you did well, but you're on the inside looking out. So, just to make sure, bone up on interviewing. Also, suggest contacting the schools you interviewed at and seeing if you can get some feedback on why you got rejected.

Did you interview late in the cycle? Timing could have been the issue. Be sure to apply early this time.

Did you aim too high? The Ivies and Stanford only? Too many OOS public schools, which tend to favor the home team? If so, apply more broadly and get some mid-tier and even DO programs on your list.

Do you have a red flag in your packet? Institutional action? Recent misdemeanors or even felonies? Bad LOR? They're rare but will kill an application.

If you reapply to the schools that rejected you, they're gonna ask "how did you improve since last year"? Looks like your answer is "not much". Suggest adding more volunteer work. Show your altruism and humanism. Definitely apply to different schools.

Hi everyone,

I'm gonna go ahead and join the othrers in making a reapplicant thread since I'm still trying to debate whether I should reapply now or wait a year. Here are my circumstances.

Verified

9/8/12, complete at schools around mid-sept to early oct.

Numbers

cGPA = 3.85
sGPA = 3.81
MCAT: 11PS/11VR/12BS = 34Q

ECs *At the time of application in 2012*

100 hrs clinical volunteering in the ER and ICU
100 hrs non-clinical volunteering assisting paralyzed ALS patient in his home
3 yrs of research - no publications, one minor poster
Various research grants. 4 for $500 and 3 for $50.
Supplemental Instruction Leader for one semester.

Outcome

I received 5 interviews total - attended 2 in November/December and 3 in Feb. I got 4 waitlists and one rejection.

So, the question is whether I should reapply given that I don't have many changes to my application this time around. I will have the same LORs and I will try to rewrite my essays. My PS mostly focused on how I wanted to be a scientist and my process of switching over to medicine to become a physician scientist. If anyone would like to read it, I am happy to send it to readers that I recognize (forum regulars).

New additions

I'm still in the same research lab, the experience will go from 3 years of research to almost 4 years of research. I may or may not have a first author publication by June. We have submitted the manuscript and I should hear back in about one month.

I just started shadowing an orthopedic surgeon this week and will likely have about 10 hours shadowing by the time I apply.

Started a community service experience with OC Parks cleaning and maintaining the hiking trails of SoCal. Might have around 10 hours by the time I apply.

Hobbies - I did not include these in my application, I am still not sure just how important they are. This time I'll just have a generic section for my hobbies including hiking, fishing, and physical fitness/weightlifting.

So, I am worried that I do not have enough changes to my application. Something that I am particularly worried about is that I stopped my clinical volunteering as soon as I applied which makes me look like a box checker.

There are some pros and cons that I have considered with reapplying this year.

Pros

-Maybe I'll get in and potentially save a year.

-If I wait one year and then reapply, I might not get in and my MCAT score will expire,
leaving me to take the newer and unfamiliar one.

-Cost will be lighter, I can qualify for FAP which I did not know existed last year.

Cons

-Being a third time applicant carries a stigma.

-Burnout if I get rejected again.

-Harder to find gap year employment if I only have one year to commit.

There we have it. I'm happy to divulge details about my application and even more to forum regulars and the adcoms/faculty of this forum. Thank you in advance!

With your numbers and ECs, I'm surprised you didn't get an acceptance, so several things come to mind:

You bombed your interviews. Now, you probably think you did well, but you're on the inside looking out. So, just to make sure, bone up on interviewing. Also, suggest contacting the schools you interviewed at and seeing if you can get some feedback on why you got rejected.

Did you interview late in the cycle? Timing could have been the issue. Be sure to apply early this time.

Did you aim too high? The Ivies and Stanford only? Too many OOS public schools, which tend to favor the home team? If so, apply more broadly and get some mid-tier and even DO programs on your list.

Do you have a red flag in your packet? Institutional action? Recent misdemeanors or even felonies? Bad LOR? They're rare but will kill an application.

If you reapply to the schools that rejected you, they're gonna ask "how did you improve since last year"? Looks like your answer is "not much". Suggest adding more volunteer work. Show your altruism and humanism. Definitely apply to different schools.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I do plan on getting interview practice as I do think that is my weakness. I don't think I gave them any reason to dislike me during my interviews but I do regret not trying to sell myself more. Instead, I tried to just go with it and let my application speak for itself (I mean this in a non-arrogant way). I don't really have anybody around me who is too knowledgeable about the interview process and my school's career center's interview practice isn't really that good so I think I will turn to SDN's mock interview service this time around.

I applied to a broad range of schools ranging in low/mid/reach schools. My interviews were at Saint Louis U, Dartmouth, NYMC, EVMS, and GWU. I don't have anything in my background that might raise a red flag. My LoRs may be a possibility and I guess I will have to try and get that out of the schools that rejected me but I don't think my letter writers have anything against me.

Do you think I have enough time at this point? I don't know how much I can brush up on my volunteering between now and June 4th. The schools that interviewed me waitlisted me so I don't know if I'm allowed to ask them for feedback at this point and GWU (which rejected me) explicitly states that they don't offer consulting. So is this cycle a no-go?

Members don't see this ad :)
Suggest waiting until end of summer before applying so you can get the volunteer time in. Youn eed to present the best possible packet and I don't think you've done much so far. I'm really surprised that NYMC didn't take you. Call them as soon as you hear from them if they don't take you.

Do you think I have enough time at this point? I don't know how much I can brush up on my volunteering between now and June 4th. The schools that interviewed me waitlisted me so I don't know if I'm allowed to ask them for feedback at this point and GWU (which rejected me) explicitly states that they don't offer consulting. So is this cycle a no-go?[/QUOTE]

Suggest waiting until end of summer before applying so you can get the volunteer time in. Youn eed to present the best possible packet and I don't think you've done much so far. I'm really surprised that NYMC didn't take you. Call them as soon as you hear from them if they don't take you.

Does this give me the same problem as this application cycle? I think one of the big problems was that I was verified late (Sept. 8). Does submitting at the end of the summer put me at the same disadvantage (if it is a disadvantage at all)?

Reapply early! Being complete Late September/Early October puts you well behind at most schools, and probably was the reason you didn't get in anywhere last year. Your stats are above average and your ECs aren't fantastic but they aren't bad (though try to get more than 10 hours of shadowing if possible). I would include a hobbies section, solely because your other ECs are fairly cookie-cutter, and having an interesting hobby could potentially help reviewers/interviewers to remember you.

But the most important thing is to apply early!- I don't have the data on hand, but a few months ago a poster charted the data verified vs acceptance rate, and sure enough the earlier you submitted the higher the chance of acceptance. For example, a school near me accepts about 75% of the people they interview before October, a rate which drops quickly afterwards.

It's a long interview cycle; I think you'll be OK.

Does this give me the same problem as this application cycle? I think one of the big problems was that I was verified late (Sept. 8). Does submitting at the end of the summer put me at the same disadvantage (if it is a disadvantage at all)?

Apply early. Many people have told me in the past that applying late was a key determining factor for being considered for other schools.

as goro mentioned, LoRs, and interviews can all be issues. Or the PS could've been subpar.

More time doing clinical volunteering could help.

The numbers you have suggest you've volunteered roughly half a year. Could improve on that.

So it looks like I'm getting mixed advice here. Either sacrifice an early app to strengthen my application over the summer or apply early but sacrifice the extra ECs...

So it looks like I'm getting mixed advice here. Either sacrifice an early app to strengthen my application over the summer or apply early but sacrifice the extra ECs...

Apply early, send update letters. Problem solved. Good luck!!

Also, check school selections.

Think about the amount of people with borderline stats and interviews then the decent/good stats people with interviews,

early trumps more ec's, better mcat, higher gpa (within reason of course)

When would you be able to start extra ECs? You could do a bit of a compromise and not delay your primary submission that much if you can start them soon.

I wouldn't recommend relying on update letters. Some schools don't take them, and some schools will screen you based on your primary.

When would you be able to start extra ECs? You could do a bit of a compromise and not delay your primary submission that much if you can start them soon.

I wouldn't recommend relying on update letters. Some schools don't take them, and some schools will screen you based on your primary.

I've started as of last week. Maybe I'll try submitting at the end of June...

I don't think I'll get screened out anywhere. No schools (even the ones with hard screens) didn't screen me last cycle.

Shaker! Don't submit late, you got 5 interviews with a late application and what you consider a relatively bad PS.

Look at all the people with good stats who applied late and compare that to early apps. It is MUCH better to be early. I say you apply as early as possible and Update.

Your going to get in, it's inevitable!

You have the qualifications both academically and extracurricular(ly?). Now its just about how you present them and your interview skills. Anything extra is just optimal. but not as optimal as an early application

What is this EC that is so important? For your manuscript, just say that you have it submitted and you are awaiting publication on AMCAS. This is what I will be doing. Update schools about your EC and publication. I doubt your EC will be the tipping point for interview or not. And you can bring up the EC during your interview when they ask what you have been doing. No need to delay submitting by a month for this.

What is this EC that is so important? For your manuscript, just say that you have it submitted and you are awaiting publication on AMCAS. This is what I will be doing. Update schools about your EC and publication. I doubt your EC will be the tipping point for interview or not. And you can bring up the EC during your interview when they ask what you have been doing. No need to delay submitting by a month for this.

Well, it's my only shadowing experience so I'm guessing it carries a good amount of weight. The other one is just a regular community service EC, I don't think it'll do much for my application. The problem is that the manuscript has not been accepted yet so I don't want to put it on my app and then be in a hole if/when it gets rejected.

I think you guys are right though, it's probably a better idea to submit as soon as I can.

Ya, definitely don't wait the extra time just so you can list one more EC on your app. Almost every secondary has that "is there anything else you wish to bring to the attention of the admissions committee that isn't already on your application?" section. Or list it in an update, as mentioned previously. Also, when you're finalizing your list of schools, pick some schools that you didn't apply to previously. A lot of schools just ask if you've applied to their specific school previously.

Hopefully you'll get in off of a waitlist and this entire thread will be pointless!

It is indeed extremely surprising that your application fared the way it did this year. If you'd like, you can PM/email me a copy of your application and I'll see if there's anything that stands out.

Ya, definitely don't wait the extra time just so you can list one more EC on your app. Almost every secondary has that "is there anything else you wish to bring to the attention of the admissions committee that isn't already on your application?" section. Or list it in an update, as mentioned previously. Also, when you're finalizing your list of schools, pick some schools that you didn't apply to previously. A lot of schools just ask if you've applied to their specific school previously.

Hopefully you'll get in off of a waitlist and this entire thread will be pointless!

I definitely plan to find a set of fresh schools to apply to as well. If I get in off the waitlist, then this thread will still have the purpose of scaring applicants into doing everything right the first time. :D

It is indeed extremely surprising that your application fared the way it did this year. If you'd like, you can PM/email me a copy of your application and I'll see if there's anything that stands out.

PM'd you. :)

Just an update on the early application option. I just called MCW and asked why I was rejected and they said that my application was "favorably reviewed" and that the only problem I had was my late completion date. I had an otherwise strong application and I would have received an interview if I applied earlier. In general, they have filled up most of their interview slots by August and start handing them out subsequently throughout the year. I was complete in mid Sept. so there wasn't much for me by the time I was under review.

I don't know how much of this is true (admissions offices aren't known for being open) but to anyone who is thinking about how much their late completion hurt them, make what you will of it.

Just an update on the early application option. I just called MCW and asked why I was rejected and they said that my application was "favorably reviewed" and that the only problem I had was my late completion date. I had an otherwise strong application and I would have received an interview if I applied earlier. In general, they have filled up most of their interview slots by August and start handing them out subsequently throughout the year. I was complete in mid Sept. so there wasn't much for me by the time I was under review.

I don't know how much of this is true (admissions offices aren't known for being open) but to anyone who is thinking about how much their late completion hurt them, make what you will of it.

Seems like the person you spoke to was being honest. That's great news for your app this cycle! Three weeks... :scared: