Yet another 'what are my chances' thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringOto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing up my third year gearing up to apply to ENT away rotations. I'm starting to get nervous because next year is supposed to be doomed year that the number Americans graduating from medical school exceed the number of residency spots. I have a few questions, including an "am I competitive enough"

Step 1: 247
AOA: not sure, but adviser seems to think I have a shot
3rd Year Grades: Neuro (H), Family (P), Med (HP), Surg (HP)
Research: Thermodynamics paper undergrad, Cardiac embryology paper to be submitted soon, ENT abstract just submitted to american rhinology conference, starting another project soon.
Letters: should be really strong given my school involvement
Extra Curriculars (do they matter?): several clubs, good amount of volunteering, med school admissions committee, national accreditation committee (LCME) school nomination (still haven't heard back).

Having said that, do I need to apply to a backup?

Also, what do I need to do to be successful at my away rotations? What is typically expected of AIs? How do I ensure that I'm not teetering over to the side of annoying but still being helpful to the max. Any other general away rotation recommendations?

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm finishing up my third year gearing up to apply to ENT away rotations. I'm starting to get nervous because next year is supposed to be doomed year that the number Americans graduating from medical school exceed the number of residency spots. I have a few questions, including an "am I competitive enough"

Step 1: 247
AOA: not sure, but advisor seems to think I have a shot
3rd Year Grades: Neuro (H), Family (P), Med (HP), Surg (HP)
Research: Thermodynamics paper in SAE Internation from undergrad, Cardiac embryology development paper to be submitted soon, ENT abstract just submitted to american rhinology conference, starting another project soon.
Letters: should be really strong given my school involvement
Extra Curriculars (do they matter?): way too many, club presidents, tons of volunteering, med school admissions committee, national accredidation committee (LCME) school nomination (still haven't heard back).

Having said that, do I need to apply to a backup?

Also, what do I need to do to be successful at my away rotations? What is typically expected of AIs? How do I ensure that I'm not teetering over to the side of annoying but still being helpful to the max. Any other general away rotation recommendations?

Thanks for your input!

#1 Neutropeniaboy has an outstanding guide to preparing for matching posted as a sticky. This should answer 98% of your questions.
#2 Since NPB hates AIs, I'll offer my brief two cents. Away rotation expectations are really very variable. Some programs let AIs do a lot, some you just shadow and hold hook for a month. I would definitely ask M4s/residents who did AIs what they thought of their experiences. For you, since you only HP'd surg and med, I would try to knock your home subI and any AIs out of the park.

To be successful, do the same stuff you should on your home rotations, but be aware the expectations are probably higher. They are interviewing you for 4 weeks straight. They are figuring out how competent you are and whether they could put up with you for 5+ years. Buy ENT Secrets, know it cold, know your anatomy cold, at a minimum. Ask your residents what you can do to help them, and then be proactive. Make things work a little more smoothly as much as you can. Work your butt off. You should be the first person in to preround on patients, and you are not leaving the hospital until the last patient is tucked away in the PACU or ICU.

I don't hate AIs... Well, yes I do. But that's not the point.

AIs do 1 thing for students 9 out of 10 times (60% of the time it works all the time):they make visiting students look bad.

Make this decision to do AIs wisely.

Sent via Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user