You can do this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrIng

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to say to all the nontraditional background people out there that you can become a doctor or whatever if you want to. When I applied to med school the last time I had done science at school was grade 10. I'd studied for the enterance exams on my own and had got a score good enough to get admitted to med school and I worked my butt off the first 6 months getting up to speed with all the science grads but Idid it and now I'm a doctor. So if you really want todo this you can!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow! Thanks for your story and words of encouragement. It's like, I want to print your post and tape it on my computer as I study for the MCAT.

:thumbup:

Glad to be of assistance. It's worth keeping in mind that being nontraditional has advantages too, you work harder often to get the knowledge that others may find easier to learn but often the different perspective you bring helps in relating to paitnet etc later on. Keep trying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Ing:
Hi, I enjoyed your post. I needed it! I wanted to ask you a question about applying to medical school. Did you retake your sciences before applying? Or, did you just study for the MCAT, etc.? Thanks!

LM :)

I was studying for Australia so I did the GAMSAT instead of the MCAT but the tests are similar. I just studied on my won, didn't take any classes and read biology, chemistry etc textbooks while completing my undergrad degree.