You can't get a grad intern LOI without an intern license in the state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trailerpark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating this month and did a grad-intern phone interview with Walmart. He didn't say 100% I would be getting an offer, but it seemed very promising, but he mentioned I would need to have a Minnesota state license in order to be put in their system to get a LOI? He told me to look into getting a MN intern license so I said "sure, I will asap."

I kind of assumed I would be given a job offer first and then I would apply for a state intern license so they could hire me as a graduate intern? I mean if I don't have the job for sure, 100%, I'd rather not send a check to Minnesota BOP for an intern license I might not otherwise ever use. I'm not from MN, just been applying all over for grad intern positions.

It's only 35 bucks though, but does anyone else have any experience in this?

Members don't see this ad.

realistically, most places are going to require that you be license before they give you the job offer. If you want to be offered the job, you should apply for the license.

It's for a grad intern position so they don't expect you to have your license. They told me I would have to pass the NAPLEX and MPJE within 120 days, but I know it wouldn't take me nearly that long.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone ever get a grad intern job offer without a intern license in the state?

It's for a grad intern position so they don't expect you to have your license. They told me I would have to pass the NAPLEX and MPJE within 120 days, but I know it wouldn't take me nearly that long.

Ummmm....you said in your OP that your potential future employer told you needed an intern license, that is the license I was referring to, and presumably what this thread was about. But since you found my answer obtuse, I will reword it,

"realistically, most places are going to require that you be licensed (as an intern) before they give you the job offer (for a grad intern). If you want to be offered the job, you should apply for the (intern) license ."

Ummmm....you said in your OP that your potential future employer told you needed an intern license, that is the license I was referring to, and presumably what this thread was about. But since you found my answer obtuse, I will reword it,

"realistically, most places are going to require that you be licensed (as an intern) before they give you the job offer (for a grad intern). If you want to be offered the job, you should apply for the (intern) license ."

O I thought you meant licensed as a pharmacist. I filled out the form for the intern license and dropped it off at my school so my dead could sign his part. After that I will mail it asap and hopefully it doesn't take long to process. I applied for jobs all over the place.

They would want to start training you soon, and typically your grad intern rate is half of what your full salary would be. So while waiting for your tests, they want to train you at the lower rate. My understanding is once you are licensed as a full fledged pharmacist you can no longer be paid as a grad intern. My wife had a couple delays with a couple of her intern and tech licences, so I could see their concern.

Also, I could see have several states licences listed on your CV as a good indicator that you are a motivated individual who has their shirt together.

Dude, get the license - they will start training you. Dropping $35 is worth it for the possibility of a full time pharmacist position.

I'm waiting for my dang dean to sign my form and then I will 1 day ship it to the BOP.