You guys are more helpful than my HPO advisors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashtray81

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No Seriously. And I needed to know your opinion, before I go back and explain to them the application process in great detail as it discussed here. Background on myself.

Non-trad started college at age 27 at a large State School in New Jersey. I was working full-time and also taking care of my dad, who had recently been diagnosed with Liver cancer. In fact, it was his diagnosis that made me realize that my academic potential was being wasted and that I needed to be involved in medicine. Despite working full time as a CCT and enduring a 3 hr commute each day, the first two semesters I took 15 and 17 credits respectivlely and had a 3.5 gpa, despite the advice of many deans. I was ecstatic.

But, life always finds a way to throw a huge curve ball, especially when you're doing well. Late that summer, my father's tumors had resurfaced and metastasized, requiring monthly inpatient chemo cycles. Being the only son, I was in charge of his tx but my grades suffered that semester immensely because of it..failed orgo and physics, but did respectable in my other classes. I decided not to take a full time course load and repeat my mistake, instead taking time off for my father's convalescence. He fought for 8 more months, encouraging me to a class over the summer, for fear that i may never start again. I took Intro to Cancer, ironically, and got an A. After his passing in october, I took some time off to take care of family issues, and decided to make a plan.

First, I moved to the city where work and school are both within a 3 mi. radius, thus increasing the time i would have to study. deans wanted me to retake the orgo over the summer and a prereq english class which I did, allowing me to enter into my Junior year. Without my father's disease to occupy my time, I have just work my full-time job at a major university hospital and took 19 credits in the fall and 18 this past spring, earning a 4.0 and 3.9 respectively. I salvaged my cGPA to a 3.57 but because of the F's my BCPM is around a 3.3. I know DO is a better option as my sGPA for DO would jump to 3.51 with the same cGPA. I have a 34 MCAT.

My question is....do adcoms take these live events into consideration? I like the financial freedom and responsibility that comes with working and say that I am financially independent. I love telling stories of how I was by my father's side through all the N/V, weakness, and despair, yet I don't regret a single minute of it. Hell, I would do it again without even thinking twice about my BCPM. I sincerely hope two F's don't ruin my chances. I'm looking at all the Jersey schools. any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

HI there,

Wow you have a story that is most definitely one of a kind and ensures that your personal statement will catch the eye of any AdCom. Your MCAT is mid-tier level and your GPA also matches it as well. With such an amazing story you have a very, very strong chance at MD schools. I don't think AdComs comb through your transcripts. So the fact that you held your GPA steady while dealing with everything in your life shows so many strengths that may not be present in most non-trad. and probably 99% of all traditional students.

Thank you for sharing your story, it is quite inspirational and in all honesty reminds me to never complain about my "tough life".

No Seriously. And I needed to know your opinion, before I go back and explain to them the application process in great detail as it discussed here. Background on myself.

Non-trad started college at age 27 at a large State School in New Jersey. I was working full-time and also taking care of my dad, who had recently been diagnosed with Liver cancer. In fact, it was his diagnosis that made me realize that my academic potential was being wasted and that I needed to be involved in medicine. Despite working full time as a CCT and enduring a 3 hr commute each day, the first two semesters I took 15 and 17 credits respectivlely and had a 3.5 gpa, despite the advice of many deans. I was ecstatic.

But, life always finds a way to throw a huge curve ball, especially when you're doing well. Late that summer, my father's tumors had resurfaced and metastasized, requiring monthly inpatient chemo cycles. Being the only son, I was in charge of his tx but my grades suffered that semester immensely because of it..failed orgo and physics, but did respectable in my other classes. I decided not to take a full time course load and repeat my mistake, instead taking time off for my father's convalescence. He fought for 8 more months, encouraging me to a class over the summer, for fear that i may never start again. I took Intro to Cancer, ironically, and got an A. After his passing in october, I took some time off to take care of family issues, and decided to make a plan.

First, I moved to the city where work and school are both within a 3 mi. radius, thus increasing the time i would have to study. deans wanted me to retake the orgo over the summer and a prereq english class which I did, allowing me to enter into my Junior year. Without my father's disease to occupy my time, I have just work my full-time job at a major university hospital and took 19 credits in the fall and 18 this past spring, earning a 4.0 and 3.9 respectively. I salvaged my cGPA to a 3.57 but because of the F's my BCPM is around a 3.3. I know DO is a better option as my sGPA for DO would jump to 3.51 with the same cGPA. I have a 34 MCAT.

My question is....do adcoms take these live events into consideration? I like the financial freedom and responsibility that comes with working and say that I am financially independent. I love telling stories of how I was by my father's side through all the N/V, weakness, and despair, yet I don't regret a single minute of it. Hell, I would do it again without even thinking twice about my BCPM. I sincerely hope two F's don't ruin my chances. I'm looking at all the Jersey schools. any advice is appreciated.

Chances are excellent for mid-to-tier MD...Apply to 4-5 DO as safeties.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am proud of you...you are certainly not alone, as I read a similar story in this forum, and I posted my own story as well, before I had the chance to read yours...Cheers, to moving forward, not giving up, and doing our best. With our determination, I hope we will succeed.
And,
I also do not regret spending time with my mother.

I am proud of you...you are certainly not alone, as I read a similar story in this forum, and I posted my own story as well, before I had the chance to read yours...Cheers, to moving forward, not giving up, and doing our best. With our determination, I hope we will succeed.
And,
I also do not regret spending time with my mother.

DreamInMind: I couldn't agree with you more. I had to fight with my dad to stay with him during his treatments. He would say "your education is more important, don't worry about me". But all I could was worry, and knew that I was bright enough to engage a career in medicine, and that academics could wait. Holding his hands for 3 hours a day was, in my opinion, better than attending a 3hr lecture. Hope you have a great cycle, and I wish you the best.

I want to thank the others for encouragement as well, as I have found more support here than at school, where I believe statistics are more important to them rather than circumstance. For what it's worth, I have a Bio GPA of 3.89 having taken Bio I & II, Intro to cancer, Genetics, Human Parasitology, Biochemistry, Cell Bio & Neuro, Integrative Physiology, and Endocrinology, with 3 labs. Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Good Luck to all, and never lose sight of your passions.