You guys called me crazy but looks like I'm right...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
http://sbstatesman.com/2014/10/21/sbu-school-of-pharmacy-on-the-horizon/
http://www.bupipedream.com/news/28283/pharm-school/

“There is a need in New York State for an additional school, as there are only seven schools of pharmacy in New York,” Kaushansky said.

I'm not too familiar with New York, but didn't a major supermarket chain close their pharmacies for good? This would have put 50+ pharmacists out on the open market to compete with the new graduates. I forget what the chain was called.

At this point, the more schools that open...the better. The number of schools used to be the driving force behind the saturation. Now, it is the number applicants. Let the schools fight for every student.

Members don't see this ad.

they must be stupid to think that the number of applicants won't decrease soon

Eh, they probably are smart enough to know that, but why would they care? They will have already made their money and be laughing all the way to the bank.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you accounting for residencies? Because technically those are not pharmacist jobs. Looks like there was approx 3000 matched residency spots this year. So now we are getting close to full employment.

Look, I totally agree that the new schools suck, and the new grads are pretty much awful. And I have no doubt that it's hard to get a job in NYC, LA or SF. But, honestly, we had like 2 applicants for our ER pharmacist job at our hospital. Naturally we hired our prior PGY-1 resident, but it's not like it's ridiculous out here in the Midwest. All of our students that rotate through have their jobs lined up with WAGs, RAD, and CVS. And you know what, what is nice about our profession is that 2/3rds are graduating females who won't be working 1.0 FTE and may find themselves early retiring at 35 and living off of PRN hours and sugar daddy.
where in the midwest? as an ED pharmacist with ties to the midwest, that gives me hope

Cleveland
ha - that is funny -i think that is the job I had two recruiters call me about - they said if they don't find anybody by the time the resident graduates they will keep them on - looks like they did

True, but who can afford to retire? Not the baby boomers who spent their lives living like there was no tomorrow. Although I suppose at some point, we all die....still with the average life span being ~78 - 80 years, that is far away. In my real life, I see extremely few pharmacists retiring at age 65.

Yeah, I know a dude who is 60 years old, retired at age 55 from the state hospital and is now working at another hospital as a FT pharmacist. He's collecting pension from the state hospital, hasn't tapped into the IRA yet, and his social security will be pretty good because his kids are age 8 and 10. He plans on working till he can have the retirement fund from this hospital vest also in a few years and then drop back to part-time/per-diem.

Reactions: 1 user
This profession is no longer attractive with the rise of tech industry...most payed graduates are in google etc... With starting salary 150000$ plus stocks and benefits..this is what my kids will study later..

So this 6 year degree that leave you at the end with stress and fear of market saturation isnt reasonable anymore

Even with the 8 colleges of Pharmacy now in Texas, I can't find a PIC candidate who even knows what an Ethernet cable looks like. I'm still actively searching. $130K per year + $5K sign on--30 minutes outside of Odessa, Texas.

Even with the 8 colleges of Pharmacy now in Texas, I can't find a PIC candidate who even knows what an Ethernet cable looks like. I'm still actively searching. $130K per year + $5K sign on--30 minutes outside of Odessa, Texas.

This is why I wish I could find a job that lets me leverage my skill with computers and technology. Whenever the tech support at our hospital can't solve a problem, I seem to be able to fix it within five minutes.

This is why I wish I could find a job that lets me leverage my skill with computers and technology. Whenever the tech support at our hospital can't solve a problem, I seem to be able to fix it within five minutes.
Thats true because after 6 years of studying all our skills other than memorizing are dead. On the contrary with other professions where you can really have time to develop many skills that can help you be innovative in the future. Just my opinion

It probably has more to do with it being Odessa than anything else. When I was still in school at SWOSU, Walgreens offered us P4s a position there for $150k with a 30K sign on bonus. No one took it.

It probably has more to do with it being Odessa than anything else. When I was still in school at SWOSU, Walgreens offered us P4s a position there for $150k with a 30K sign on bonus. No one took it.

Can't get pharmacists to move to Odessa? Someone should use this logic to open up a pharmacy school there. Geography has been, and still appears to be, used as the seemingly sole reason to open up new programs.

Can't get pharmacists to move to Odessa? Someone should use this logic to open up a pharmacy school there. Geography has been, and still appears to be, used as the seemingly sole reason to open up new programs.

Rumors are stirring that UT-El Paso is considering a school.

Rumors are stirring that UT-El Paso is considering a school.
Why not UTEP? Go Miners!

A lot of new state schools opening up lately. (Maryland Eastern Shore, UT-Tyler, South Florida, two (!) now in progress in New York State). Is private school success - I'll loosely define it as filling their classes, getting accreditation, and graduating students - causing state legislators and/or second tier state schools to decide that they want in on the action too?

El Paso does not need a pharmacy school. There were just enough jobs for the grads from the co-op program and out of state students. Rivera just wanted to fulfill his wet dream of making a pharmacy school in EP before he retired. Now he's fulfilled it without giving 2 craps about what the school will be doing to the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if the Texas Tech branch in El Paso opens a pharmacy school since there's apparently some "giant shortage."

But I'm sure all the new El Paso graduates will stay to work in El Paso. LOL They will be headed to NY, CA and wherever else they want to live.

But I'm sure all the new El Paso graduates will stay to work in El Paso. LOL They will be headed to NY, CA and wherever else they want to live.
That's the problem! Most of these students will be from El Paso. It is rare for people like us to leave home. It's a hispanic thing. They guilt you into never leaving your hometown lol. The only thing I can think of is that this will offset all the people that were coming from different parts of the country because they couldn't find work in their home states and replace them with grads from UTEP. That would be the best case scenario. I wonder what source Jose Rivera pulled those numbers from that he used to show there was some shortage. If anything those numbers just meant El Paso wasn't as saturated as the rest of Texas thus meaning that UTEP can squeeze some more money out of this pharmacy school boom.

• How many colleges of pharmacy in Texas will that be? 9 -10??