You guys like my way of memorizing solubility rules for el MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PicardAndRoll

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do y'all think of this method to memorize the solubility rules for the MCAT?

So you have a square, top left is solubility, bottom left is insolubility and the right hand are the exceptions.

Solubility, compounds with:

NO3-
C2H3O2-
Cl-
Br-
I-
SO42-

Insolubility, compounds with:
S2-
CO3 2-
PO4 3-
OH-

Here are the rules for the right:

NO3- and C2H3o2-, those are the homies right there, nitrATE and acetATE don't hate. Put a none to the right.

The halides, Cl-, Br-, and I-, these are tough guys. They lift heavy heavy weight, pumping metal. Put Pb 2+, Hg2 2+, and Ag+ on the right.

The Sulfate....that guy is a mark. He's a (word I can't say on this forum, female lupus canis familiaris). This guy is stingy and greedy (he's the type to not spot his bros in need even though he has a lot of money), he put's that Ag+ in his pocket cause he wants to make money off the silver. He wants to be tough like the halides, so he tries to lift wit the Pb2+ and Hg2 2+, but ultimately, he's a hater and hates on Sr2+ and Ba 2+ cause he's weak and can't lift (he cheats on the reps for Ca 2+)...so you put an Hg2 2+, Pb 2+, Sr 2+, Ba 2+

For the insolubles. S2-, Sulfide = S = Swag, this guy is a baller. He has homies everywhere. He's the chillest guy on the block. EVERYBODY hangs out to smoke with him. Everybody reps S2-: NH4+, 1A alkali metals, and the 2A heavy metals. Put those on the right.

CO32- and PO4 3- are chill and have respect on the block, but they're admittingly weak. They don't lift heavy stuff (heavy 2A). They only mess with the NH4+ and 1A stuff. Put those on the right.

OH-, just remember anything that forms a strong base with a hydroxide, 1A and heavy 2A.

What do y'all think?

P.S., I don't even lift weights srs

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I've done every AAMC test and don't think I've ever seen a question where any of this was necessary.

Reactions: 3 users
I've done every AAMC test and don't think I've ever seen a question where any of this was necessary.

Really? I was hanging out with a friend in the library and he had some MCAT prep book and he was asking me why they got certain things wrong on the gen chem diagnostic test, and there were like 8 questions on predicting precipitates that form in aqueous solutions, which require the knowledge of certain anions in compounds.

I'm doing a full throttle review of Gen Chem, Bio, Physics, etc. this summer before practicing workbooks and AAMC stuff around August (for an overall comprehensive grasp of the info, my MCAT is around October), and so Ch.4 of my book has those solubilities.

There was even a conceptual question on whether or not a certain compound would cause rust (i.e, get oxidized) when placed in a container of compound of another metal (like putting some aq. sodium nitrate in an iron vial), so it required conceptual knowledge of the relative positions (not exact positions) of the activity series for redox reactions (i.e, 1A guys at the top, coinage metals on the bottom) where as you go higher, oxidation is easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? I was hanging out with a friend in the library and he had some MCAT prep book and he was asking me why they got certain things wrong on the gen chem diagnostic test, and there were like 8 questions on predicting precipitates that form in aqueous solutions, which require the knowledge of certain anions in compounds.

I'm doing a full throttle review of Gen Chem, Bio, Physics, etc. this summer before practicing workbooks and AAMC stuff around August (for an overall comprehensive grasp of the info, my MCAT is around October), and so Ch.4 of my book has those solubilities.

There was even a conceptual question on whether or not a certain compound would cause rust (i.e, get oxidized) when placed in a container of compound of another metal (like putting some aq. sodium nitrate in an iron vial), so it required conceptual knowledge of the relative positions (not exact positions) of the activity series for redox reactions (i.e, 1A guys at the top, coinage metals on the bottom) where as you go higher, oxidation is easier.

What Prep Book? Every solubility question I've seen on AAMC has been passage based and it's been blatantly obvious what precipitates.

What Prep Book? Every solubility question I've seen on AAMC has been passage based and it's been blatantly obvious what precipitates.

This. Most solubility questions I encountered didn't go beyond knowing that nitrates and NaCl are soluble. The rest was provided in the passage or inferred somehow.

Because the eight AAMC FL's are supposed to cover the entirety of the testable content for the exam? :rolleyes:
Can someone else chime in on how much solubility rules appear on the mcat
It's testable material. If you want to ensure the highest possible score, know it. If you want to leave a point or more to chance, by all means gamble away that you won't need it. The correct choice is obvious.

Reactions: 1 users