You know VET SCHOOL is driving you crazy when....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A lot of people think "ya'll" is strange to say... I can't seem to say a sentence without it.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

It makes so much more sense than "you guys"...there's no gender to y'all! :laugh:

But people not from the south just look at me like I'm crazy...

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking of pronunciations, how do the professors say apoptosis where y'all are at?

I've always heard it ay-pop-tow-sis in CA and MA. And I'm sure that at least wasn't incorrect 'cause some biotech company sent our lab orange and black balloons for halloween that said "hocus pocus, apoptosis."

Is it just a CO thing to call it ay-pee-tow-sis? At first I didn't even know what the prof was talking about. But then I realized that EVERY SINGLE instructor pronounces it that way. How does one get to this pronunciation from the spelling of the word? I have no idea...

Ha, I've always said it the way you do too...we got a mini "history" lesson/lecture from one of our profs about the history of the word, where it came from, etc. - don't ask me to remember it, that was at the beginning of the semester, and seemed completely irrelevant :D Anyway, according to him it's supposed to be pronounced ay-poe-tow-sis. The extra "p" is silent. Go figure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of pronunciations, how do the professors say apoptosis where y'all are at?

I've always heard it ay-pop-tow-sis in CA and MA. And I'm sure that at least wasn't incorrect 'cause some biotech company sent our lab orange and black balloons for halloween that said "hocus pocus, apoptosis."

Is it just a CO thing to call it ay-pee-tow-sis? At first I didn't even know what the prof was talking about. But then I realized that EVERY SINGLE instructor pronounces it that way. How does one get to this pronunciation from the spelling of the word? I have no idea...

Everybody here says ay-pop-tow-sis. Same with my undergrad in Colorado. Maybe CSU's just weird?

Anyway, according to him it's supposed to be pronounced ay-poe-tow-sis. The extra "p" is silent. Go figure.

Its supposed to be of the same sort of latin root as pter in pterodactyl. I think ptosis means falling or something in Greek. Anyway, everyone mispronounces it and it drives (some of) our pathology team crazy.

(can you tell I don't want to write my necropsy report? I'd rather discuss the origins of apoptosis).

when the thought of finals is enough to reduce a normally mature adult into a whimpering puddle on the floor

When you start criticizing the physiological plausibility of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
Buffy: No. Angel: YES!

Angel, if you're talking about the show, stinks.

Buffy is just on a whole other level. All these new vampire shows (Twilight, Vampire Diaries, blah blah blah) are all just bad Buffy knock-offs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I love them both . . . perhaps a little too much! ;)

Seriously, though, they need to stick with "it's magic" and stop pretending they know science. 'Cause, really? "The mind-control chip is tied in to your thoracic nerve?" Methinks Riley is a little too prone to the power of suggestion. And don't think you're any better Mr. Wesley-I-Ran-A-Tox-Screen-In-My-Boss's-Apartment-Wyndam-Price. And don't get me started on invisibility-because-quantum-physics.

. . . when you fall, bang your elbow, and immediately start cussing out your fibular nerve. Inventively. :mad:

When you think the phrase "cell grows uncontrollably and looks obviously deranged" is the funniest thing you've heard all day....thanks biochem

...when you get margaritas and you used to hate tequila.

I love them both . . . perhaps a little too much! ;)

Seriously, though, they need to stick with "it's magic" and stop pretending they know science. 'Cause, really? "The mind-control chip is tied in to your thoracic nerve?" Methinks Riley is a little too prone to the power of suggestion. And don't think you're any better Mr. Wesley-I-Ran-A-Tox-Screen-In-My-Boss's-Apartment-Wyndam-Price. And don't get me started on invisibility-because-quantum-physics.
I have all the Angels on DVD. If you ever want to watch just PM me and you can borrow them . They are just gathering dust on the shelf.

....you see a Black Friday advertisement online and realize you have NO idea what the good sales are this year and have no plans to figure it out anytime soon.

I have all the Angels on DVD. If you ever want to watch just PM me and you can borrow them . They are just gathering dust on the shelf.

Thanks, but now that I have my shiny Netflix subscription, I've got it hooked up. :D Although, it's way too enabling of the procrastinator in me . . .

...you have 4 tabs open in your browser; one for SDN, one for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, one for Hunted: The Demon's Forge, and one for "golgi tendon afferent" on Google.

Love this!!

When you say trachea and skeletal like your British professor: "Tra-key-ah" and "Ska-lee-tall"

When you dream you are studying and then wake up with a false sense that you actually studied all night.

When you have to make a run up to an administration building on the other side of campus and realize that there are *real* people out there! there is *life* occurring outside of what has now taken over our life.

When you spent 8+ hours in the same lecture hall just for lectures and then realize that you have not seen the sun yet that day.

And concurrently when you get out of class early and get to finally see daylight and its so beautiful!

When you enjoy meeting new animals more than seeing old friends. (Hm, this is probably just me. Animals have been "driving me crazy" since I could walk. Possibly earlier)

when you actually miss it:(
Truth. Glad I decided to come back :biglove: and best of luck to you, SOV!

....you see a Black Friday advertisement online and realize you have NO idea what the good sales are this year and have no plans to figure it out anytime soon.
......I never knew about Black Friday....whaddaya talking 'bout?:confused: (Born anti-shopper, will die this way :D)

Screw the forests!
When it comes to hated classes, yes, the forests must suffer:(

Love this!!

When you say trachea and skeletal like your British professor: "Tra-key-ah" and "Ska-lee-tall"

When you dream you are studying and then wake up with a false sense that you actually studied all night.

When you have to make a run up to an administration building on the other side of campus and realize that there are *real* people out there! there is *life* occurring outside of what has now taken over our life.

When you spent 8+ hours in the same lecture hall just for lectures and then realize that you have not seen the sun yet that day.

And concurrently when you get out of class early and get to finally see daylight and its so beautiful!

Oh, SJB, I miss you in my life on the East Coast. I need to visit :D But, I must admit, I like hearing veterinary medicine in other languages (pretty sure Australian is my favorite!) All I need Hugh Jackman to do is talk animals to me, and I'd be set :love:

......I never knew about Black Friday....whaddaya talking 'bout?:confused: (Born anti-shopper, will die this way :D)

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving when store have HUGE sales in order to kick off the Christmas season. Store are packed to the gills and the good ones have lines out the door starting Thursday. A lot of people just go for the fun of the event and others are SERIOUS about getting their good deals. (Read: will get violent if you touch an item they want) A lot of stores also have free raffles or giveaways at the door as well. If I had my way, I'd be in line somewhere for a flat screen to put on my wall but that's not gonna happen... I don't usually go but since I love to shop, I always dream by looking through the ads. :)

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving when store have HUGE sales in order to kick off the Christmas season. Store are packed to the gills and the good ones have lines out the door starting Thursday. A lot of people just go for the fun of the event and others are SERIOUS about getting their good deals. (Read: will get violent if you touch an item they want) A lot of stores also have free raffles or giveaways at the door as well. If I had my way, I'd be in line somewhere for a flat screen to put on my wall but that's not gonna happen... I don't usually go but since I love to shop, I always dream by looking through the ads. :)
I worked at Kmart. On Black Friday. It's not Wal-mart, but they sure wish they were:hungover: Retail is another contender on my list of necessary evils. I can't embrace the "let's sleep for 2 hours after celebrating Thanksgiving so we can go stand in line at Target for 8 hours" but my family sure likes that stuff!!! Last Black Friday, I slept happily as my fam stood in line for....almost 5 hours? They're nutters :laugh:

Every time someone says tra-KEY-ah, I can't stop saying it and pretending it's the Chia pets song... tra tra tra-KEY-ahhh! Sadly this happens rather frequently.

You know you're going crazy when you're actually looking forward to a nine hour-plus drive home the day before Thanksgiving...passing close to DC...all because it gets you away from school.

Since you put it that way, I have been saying trachea correctly and skeletal incorrectly.
Then again, I get made fun of for saying house, couch, about and pasta "incorrectly".

When you're so exhausted in every possible way that you don't even have the energy to participate in the most beloved of all the Beat M!CH!G@N week activities: the Mirror Lake jump.

When you're so exhausted in every possible way that you don't even have the energy to participate in the most beloved of all the Beat M!CH!G@N week activities: the Mirror Lake jump.

The weather was actually pretty good for it, too!!

Yep...I'm lurking in the 2015 thread and avoiding thinking about this year's application cycle....:rolleyes:

Er, that_redhead, roughleggedhawk and I had a time dicussing various pronounciations of words. So far, we all say trachea the same way. But there's definitely a divide over skeletal. Ske-lee-tal and skel-uh-tal.

I am MOST definitely on the skel-uh-tal bandwagon. :) and TRAY-chea

You've procrastinated all semester long, choosing sleep over studying pretty much every night... and then BAM, finals is around the corner... and for some reason you're totally pumped to keep studying past midnight. For once, you feel like a model student, getting small assignments done days in advance to prepare for a finals studying schedule.

Yeah baby, I've found my long lost motivation! F*** yeah!
fistpumpin.gif

(I've never felt anything remotely close to a runner's high with my lifelong lack of exercise, but this must be the nerd equivalent)

I am MOST definitely on the skel-uh-tal bandwagon. :) and TRAY-chea
Hey do people say those words any other way? They must be weirdos:rolleyes:
Yeah baby, I've found my long lost motivation! F*** yeah!

(I've never felt anything remotely close to a runner's high with my lifelong lack of exercise, but this must be the nerd equivalent)
:soexcited: :clap: :woot: :highfive: BONSAI!!!
Ah minnerbelle... you bring a smile to my face. Enjoy the motivation while it lasts. :)
^truth. :biglove:

[begin sappy cliche]Dear 2015s - thanks for being awesome. You inspire me enough to fly to my dreams and keep me grounded all at the same time. [/emotional spewing].:laugh:

Hey Kaydubs... I want to take whatever you are taking. You have been an amazing positive poster lately!

Dear SOV,

Don't go read my rant :oops: You can only fly high for so long before everyone drags you down to their unpleasant, angsty level.

P.S. I really am excited to read those books (and the others I was forced to leave on the shelf cause I couldn't take them all...). I was missing anatomy during Thanksgiving. Am I infected by the vet school virus? Yeah, maybe :laugh:

You know anatomy's driving you crazy when you get a bunch of steaks and spend more time trying to identify the muscles and bones represented than you do cooking the steaks!