You know you're a vet student (or pre-vet to be PC) when...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I smell my dogs feet all the time and they do smell like corn chips. This thread made me smell my cats feet for the first time though, and they don't really smell like anything at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I smell my dogs feet all the time and they do smell like corn chips. This thread made me smell my cats feet for the first time though, and they don't really smell like anything at all.
I agree, my dogs feet do too! For some reason he always smells like maple syrup when I kiss his head.... Hmmm...

Reactions: 1 user
Idk what my cat's feet smell like, but he smells like fresh powder, which I guess is from the litter...which kind of makes me less enthused about the smell. But at least he smells nice!

Too bad the huskies I live with are away right now, I wonder what their feet smell like...

Members don't see this ad :)
My cat's feet smell like corn chips. He gave me the funniest "wtf, stupid human?!" look when I rolled him on his back to smell his feet.

My dog's feet smell like kinda stinky corn chips :laugh:.

I think the more important question here is "Why do my corn chips smell like dog feet?"

after all, dog feet were around long before Fritos came into existence...

Reactions: 5 users
No, the more important question is why the hell are all of you people smelling your dogs' feet?:bored:
I know, aren't they weird? (I didn't smell my dog's feet, just my cat's, so I'm not part of that weird group. :p)

Just want to say that now I feel better about smelling my dog's feet. We call her Cheese Feet :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Mind. Blown.

QLXBeOX.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Omg I all of the sudden got this backache... So I filled a pillowcase with some rice and microwaved it. The first thing I said when I took it out was "wow it smells so toasty like Bambi's feet! Oh man I miss the smell of her feet." I turned around to my bf and was like "hey did I tell you about Bambi's feet?"

He sighed and was like "yes about how you and your sister used to sniff it all the time, and how it smelled extra toasty when she was sleeping"

I was like ugh! and proceeded to sniff my girl kitties dainty paws Which of course didn't smell like anything. So then I went to go and sniff my youthful big boy kitty's paws... and he bunny kicked my face :(

Rip Bambi

I just did this like 2 days ago, and just now realized that this frito feet discussion's been revived. It makes me happy.

Back to the threads original topic:

... When you occasionally get Facebook messages from people you haven't seen in over a decade that start with "hi I was thinking about you the other day. How is it going?"

And when you send any sort of reply, you get a "well I recently got a cat/dog and..."

My reply/thought process as a -

Prevet: you should feed your pet high quality food with no fillers or by products... yada yada yada ... Some random behavioral advice that I saw in animal planet... Yada yada yada. Yeah I've had years of experience because this is all I live for.

Vet student: Haha... You expect me to know anything? I can maybe tell you what the pathophysiology of the disease is and that Airedales are predisposed to it (even though your dog is a boxer lemon)... But what should you do? How the heck should I know? I've never even heard of that product you're referring to. I dunno what it does. Ask your vet. They don't teach these things in vet school... at least not yet... I hope they do by graduation but maybe not since I graduate in 4 months.

Vet: Your neutered male cat has a 'UTI' again? Is that your theory or your vet's opinion? I honestly can't say much without seeing your pet and the medical records. See a vet, ask your vet for clarification, or seek a second opinion. No I can't prescribe you anything. No I don't care that your vet usually gives you clavamox. Yes I think tests are necessary, and if it really is an "UTI again" the recommended tests should be even more expensive. Ugh

Reactions: 1 users
Back to the threads original topic:

... When you occasionally get Facebook messages from people you haven't seen in over a decade that start with "hi I was thinking about you the other day. How is it going?"

And when you send any sort of reply, you get a "well I recently got a cat/dog and..."

My reply/thought process as a -

Prevet: you should feed your pet high quality food with no fillers or by products... yada yada yada ... Some random behavioral advice that I saw in animal planet... Yada yada yada. Yeah I've had years of experience because this is all I live for.

Vet student: Haha... You expect me to know anything? I can maybe tell you what the pathophysiology of the disease is and that Airedales are predisposed to it (even though your dog is a boxer lemon)... But what should you do? How the heck should I know? I've never even heard of that product you're referring to. I dunno what it does. Ask your vet. They don't teach these things in vet school... at least not yet... I hope they do by graduation but maybe not since I graduate in 4 months.

Vet: Your neutered male cat has a 'UTI' again? Is that your theory or your vet's opinion? I honestly can't say much without seeing your pet and the medical records. See a vet, ask your vet for clarification, or seek a second opinion. No I can't prescribe you anything. No I don't care that your vet usually gives you clavamox. Yes I think tests are necessary, and if it really is an "UTI again" the recommended tests should be even more expensive. Ugh
My answer is typically "take your pet to a vet" but I can at least let them know if it's a take them right now situation or it can wait until normal business hours.

My answer is typically "take your pet to a vet" but I can at least let them know if it's a take them right now situation or it can wait until normal business hours.

I hope you realize I meant that post to be satirical...

For the "if it's a take them right now or wait til tomorrow morning" question, it's never wrong to tell them to call the ER and ask what they recommend. Calling is free, and they are the ones who will be seeing the pet. That way, if O chooses not to go it has nothing to do with you.

A lot of people want someone of authority to tell them that going to the ER is unnecessary and slant what they observe... So sure, I'll talk at length with close family/friend whose pet isn't feeling well and advise, but a random person, no. I'm pretty risk averse so I usually just gave the ER number as a student. I didn't want any part of the drama that is a half dead animal coming in, with the owner claiming their vet student/tech friend told them it was okay to wait. Really sick UO that the O waited on because it was just constipated. Maggot infested "just slowing down with age" dog that just had a little diarrhea during the day. And all the effed up ways rodenticide poisoning/NSAID toxicity shows up at the clinic waaaay too late.

I hope you realize I meant that post to be satirical...

For the "if it's a take them right now or wait til tomorrow morning" question, it's never wrong to tell them to call the ER and ask what they recommend. Calling is free, and they are the ones who will be seeing the pet. That way, if O chooses not to go it has nothing to do with you.

A lot of people want someone of authority to tell them that going to the ER is unnecessary and slant what they observe... So sure, I'll talk at length with close family/friend whose pet isn't feeling well and advise, but a random person, no. I'm pretty risk averse so I usually just gave the ER number as a student. I didn't want any part of the drama that is a half dead animal coming in, with the owner claiming their vet student/tech friend told them it was okay to wait. Really sick UO that the O waited on because it was just constipated. Maggot infested "just slowing down with age" dog that just had a little diarrhea during the day. And all the effed up ways rodenticide poisoning/NSAID toxicity shows up at the clinic waaaay too late.
No, I get it! :) I was just adding what I typically do, but only with people I know well, not strangers. I even once got a text from a vet student because the dog she was pet sitting ate a sock and she didn't know what to do. I just wanted to reply "You're in vet school, you should have better sources for info than me!"

You can discuss sperm granulomas with someone you met less than an hour ago, and it's not weird. (This also requires that the person you're talking to is in the vet med field too.)

You can discuss sperm granulomas with someone you met less than an hour ago, and it's not weird. (This also requires that the person you're talking to is in the vet med field too.)

Oh no it doesn't. Talk about that with strangers. Much more fun

Reactions: 3 users
You're probably a vet student if you get really excited when a faculty member at your school also doesn't remember a certain anatomy/immunology/virology/etc. fact that you've forgotten since first year.

I think the more important question here is "Why do my corn chips smell like dog feet?"

after all, dog feet were around long before Fritos came into existence...

You just realizing this? ;)

No, the more important question is why the hell are all of you people smelling your dogs' feet?:bored:

I know, aren't they weird? (I didn't smell my dog's feet, just my cat's, so I'm not part of that weird group. :p)

Just want to say that now I feel better about smelling my dog's feet. We call her Cheese Feet :)

Mind. Blown.

This article is for all of you. Personally I still think you are all nuts...

http://www.urdogs.com/this-is-why-y...medium=free&utm_content=share&utm_campaign=df

Reactions: 1 users
When you send your roommate a text reading "We have pee!" after you check on your blocked cat inpatient. Luckily, roommate is also a vet, so he replied with "Hooray!"

You know you're a vet student when you get a buzz off of finding case reports that perfectly align with the case/questions on said case you were assigned to write up :highfive:

When you're getting an ultrasound and all you can think is that you'd give your right arm to have that ultrasound machine in your practice.