You Know You're Applying to Dental School When... (Feel Free to Add On)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueEyedToothDoctor

Roseman University Class of 2020
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know you're applying to dental school when you check your application for GPA verification more often than you check your Facebook.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
When your phone is almost dead by noon because you've checked your email so much.

Reactions: 18 users
when you spend most of your time on SDN than anything else on the internet (I don't use FB much other than stalk people lol)

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You stare at your bank account balance and laugh sadly about how if you were applying to PhD programs instead, schools would be paying YOU

Every time you get a call you think it's from a school...

You consider the possibility of having to live out of a food truck for the rest of your life if you don't get accepted....

Every time you get a call you think it's from a school...
NOVA-Southeastern will actually call you to verify some details. Other than that, I have not heard of schools calling (until Dec)

Reactions: 1 user
...when you think about your application at least once every hour.

Reactions: 10 users
...when the first thing you notice about people is their teeth, and you compliment them on it when the teeth shine.

Reactions: 6 users
...you can't go a few hours without a family member asking how your application is going.

Reactions: 13 users
You think 400-500k can be paid off in a reasonable amount of time :)................:(

Reactions: 12 users
When you submitted your applications and your family or friends ask if you got in yet before December 1st...

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When you submitted your applications and your family or friends ask if you got in yet before December 1st...
Lol people have been asking me that since like March... uhhh no...

So no pressure or anything.....

Will go live in the woods for a year if I don't get any interview invites. Or better yet, I'll tell people that not only did I get in, but Harvard and UoP created a special joint program just for me and offered me a huge scholarship to boot!

(For those of you who don't know what I'm referring to: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...bac970-156a-11e5-89f3-61410da94eb1_story.html)

You feel guilty for even watching an episode of The Office to destress because you should be studying for the DAT, or working on your app, or your PS or a combination of all of them :D

You saw an email from school you applied and thought "OMG, is it a rejection or invitation?!?!". Turned out an advertisement from school :shifty::bang:

Reactions: 5 users
You know you're applying to dental school when you worry about DAT scores and dental assisting hours.....

Reactions: 1 users
when you're a girl and everyone assumes you're going to be a hygienist.

Reactions: 26 users
your pre-med friends think you can't handle medical school

you consistently think that you didn't apply to enough schools

You check on SDN even in between sets.

Reactions: 15 users
your pre-med friends think you can't handle medical school

This gets me every time. Not everyone wants to be a physician, the world needs dentists, and do they really want more competition to get into med school?

Reactions: 3 users
When you have dreams/nightmares about GPA verification

Reactions: 2 users
When you spend years getting up your GPA, months on end studying for the DAT, push yourself to tears getting an application ready and personal statement, just to get a supplemental from loma Linda asking for a couple of essays and you think to yourself "alright I'm switching to business"

Reactions: 8 users
You know you are applying to dental school when you soon realize that your Biology, Chemistry, or Biochem degree will be useless in the real world.

You know you are applying to dental school when you soon realize that your Biology, Chemistry, or Biochem degree will be useless in the real world.

haha but I knew that going into undergrad

...when you have nightmares about not being ready for the interview. (Last night I had a dream where I was lost on my own campus trying to get to the interview)

This gets me every time. Not everyone wants to be a physician, the world needs dentists, and do they really want more competition to get into med school?

That's funny! When I was in high school and doing a job shadow for a class, we had to pick a place to shadow that would be our "back up" career. I shadowed a couple doctors and when they found out I was really interested in dentistry, they all said the same thing, "I wish I went into dentistry"...same with my parents friends who are doctors, they all said if they had to do it all over again, they would go into dentistry.

You know you are applying for dental school when you come out of a shadowing experience and your first thought is to call all your friends to tell the about the extractions you got to assist with that day!!

That's funny! When I was in high school and doing a job shadow for a class, we had to pick a place to shadow that would be our "back up" career. I shadowed a couple doctors and when they found out I was really interested in dentistry, they all said the same thing, "I wish I went into dentistry"...same with my parents friends who are doctors, they all said if they had to do it all over again, they would go into dentistry.

You know you are applying for dental school when you come out of a shadowing experience and your first thought is to call all your friends to tell the about the extractions you got to assist with that day!!

...when you get jealous over someone saying they got to assist with extractions. So awesome!

Reactions: 5 users

My friends just think it's gross. I don't really tell them much about shadowing haha.
So I guess, you know you're applying to dental school when your non-dental friends think you're weird for wanting to spend your career inside various people's mouths

My friends just think it's gross. I don't really tell them much about shadowing haha.
So I guess, you know you're applying to dental school when your non-dental friends think you're weird for wanting to spend your career inside various people's mouths
I never understood this sentiment. As a dentist, you mostly deal with saliva and some blood (for gross factor). Doctors have to deal with all the "holes" of the body and way more "juices". I'd much rather stick my fingers where food enters than where it leaves.

Reactions: 13 users
When the first thing you do in the morning is check your email and Aadsas portal.

I work as a dental assistant, and one of the patients told me she could never work in dentistry because it's gross. So I asked her what she did for a living, she replied she works as a CNA!

Reactions: 3 users
you look forward to your life after graduate school unlike most pre-meds I know

Last edited:
When I check here to see if I am going through the same thing as my competitors,.... Excuse me, my fellow, potential, classmates .

Reactions: 6 users
I work as a dental assistant, and one of the patients told me she could never work in dentistry because it's gross. So I asked her what she did for a living, she replied she works as a CNA!

Oh yea....

The other day I walk into biochem lab, and everyone was like " I'm doing PA," and another is like " I'm doing MD or OD", and I'm like, "I'm doing dental!", everybody was like, " who cares"! .... "You are like the only one" !

I then cried....

Oh yea....

The other day I walk into biochem lab, and everyone was like " I'm doing PA," and another is like " I'm doing MD or OD", and I'm like, "I'm doing dental!", everybody was like, " who cares"! .... "You are like the only one" !

I then cried....

My friends tell me that dental is the way to go to pick up chicks. Reason? You are not on call and wives love it when you can actually do the dishes.
I mean... he's not wrong lol

When friends ask if you check AADSAS everyday and you say often.

You start tanking your summer classes because you're overconfident about getting accepted....

You start tanking your summer classes because you're overconfident about getting accepted....

or you get probationary status after posting some stuff

@Tariqd bro are you sure you are a predental? one post you trolled saying your a IMG from Saudi Arabi and your post history spreads from MD, DO, pharmacy, and now dental and you just posted your stats last month while also saying you just came back from saudi Arabi as an IMG

@Tariqd bro are you sure you are a predental? one post you trolled saying your a IMG from Saudi Arabi and your post history spreads from MD, DO, pharmacy, and now dental and you just posted your stats last month while also saying you just came back from saudi Arabi as an IMG
1.) I wasn't trolling, my friend asked me to post that because his cousin was an IMG.
2.) I have NEVER posted anything about being a DO....ever
3.) I'm pre-dental and yes i posted my stats. Do you have a problem with that?