Young... Is there a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oshey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit: Realized that this was posted in the wrong sub-forum so Im re-posting here. I wanted DO advice but posted this in the MD section so forgive the double post. Not sure how delete the other one. Embarrassing.

OK. I posted on this forum a long time ago when I was 17 and unfortunately did not take the advice given to me; I've learned my lesson. After letting people convince me that medicine wasn't for me (due to the fact that I was a poor student) and finding a subject in college that I enjoyed I have up my dream of being a Dr. Still, I sit everyday thinking about what I REALLY want to be.. I just cant let this dream pass me by without taking a chance and giving it my all.

With that said...

Right now Im a 20 year old senior with 12 credits left before I graduate. I plan to finish my degree this semester then begin working on replacing my bad classes. I finished high school with 50 college credits and a 2.02 GPA and will finish my bachelors degree with a 2.98 so I came a long way in raising my GPA. Thing is, I wasn't a science major so I haven't taken any of the classes needed to gain admission into a DO medical school. I called the DO school in my area, as well as a few around the country, and they stated that it would acceptable (while not preferred) for me to re-take my lower level courses (the ones I took in high-school) at the local community college.

So my plan is to:

1. Retake 16 basic courses at a community college

2. Take the needed upper-division science and math courses at the cheapest university I can find

3. Volunteer and shadow during this time.

4. Study for the MCAT over this 2.5-3 year period.

I estimate that it will take me about 2.5 years to finish this plan of mine which isn't a major issue seeing as how Im only 20 now. My only question is, do you guys think this can be done? Lets say It goes best case scenario and I bring my GPA up to a 3.5 and score maybe a 27 on my MCAT is Medical school within reach at this point?Would it matter that I will essentially be attending two different community colleges and two different universities all in an attempt to raise my gpa? Is any of this possible? I mean, you guys don't know what it would mean for my family and I if I went to medical school... Im the first to even attend much less graduate college.

I know this post is super long but.. Can anybody provide some general direction? Is DO med-school possible by age 24?

Members don't see this ad.

3.5/27 with decent shadowing and letters? You'd likely be a doctor

Don't stress the upper level classes as much as getting that gpa up, you'll run out of fafsa money soon so retake your worst grades while doing the basic 16 and you'll be surprised how quickly a gpa can rise. Don't sweat the time frame either....it takes as long as it takes, what you can't afford to do is have a semester of bad grades because you overwhelmed yourself

Reactions: 1 user
Of course it's possible. Most important thing is to show that you're improving and that you are focused on becoming a doctor. Retake all bad grades and maybe some upper level sciences to be more competitive. Just don't go overboard with these because you don't want your GPA to be affected as a result. You seem to be motivated and have a plan of action, so stick to it. No matter how long it takes, do it. Time is required in any path you take. Also, about the MCAT. You may not want to spread the studying for it over 2-3 yrs, unless you plan to go over the same material several times. Whatever you topics you start studying with, you might not remember as well by the time you take the test. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies guys!! Like I alluded to, I have no science outside of bio 1&2. Are you suggesting that I overlook any science or math that isnt required for the sake of my sgpa? Also, Im not naturally good at STEM courses like some folk.. do any of you suffer from this or are you guys naturally inclined for the stuff?

Definitely take the prereqs and maybe a couple extra sciences like A&P. If I were you, I'd search some of the DO schools and get a general idea of their requirements. Some suggest A&P, microbio, etc. Some even require biochem. I think you should try to take a couple higher level classes to really be sure that medicine is something you want to go into because there's only going to be much more detail after that. Personally, it's easier for me to study for bio subjects rather than chem/physics.. I wouldn't say I'm naturally inclined, but after years of studying the sciences, it's much easier than it was from the start. You just have to figure out the best method of studying for you and don't fall behind.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely take the prereqs and maybe a couple extra sciences like A&P. If I were you, I'd search some of the DO schools and get a general idea of their requirements. Some suggest A&P, microbio, etc. Some even require biochem. I think you should try to take a couple higher level classes to really be sure that medicine is something you want to go into because there's only going to be much more detail after that. Personally, it's easier for me to study for bio subjects rather than chem/physics.. I wouldn't say I'm naturally inclined, but after years of studying the sciences, it's much easier than it was from the start. You just have to figure out the best method of studying for you and don't fall behind.

Thanks for the replies. It is greatly appreciated.

My only question is, do you guys think this can be done? Lets say It goes best case scenario and I bring my GPA up to a 3.5 and score maybe a 27 on my MCAT is Medical school within reach at this point?Would it matter that I will essentially be attending two different community colleges and two different universities all in an attempt to raise my gpa? Is any of this possible? I mean, you guys don't know what it would mean for my family and I if I went to medical school... Im the first to even attend much less graduate college.

Is DO med-school possible by age 24?

Yes, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The passion and motivation that you obviously have can take you far. I am the first medical professional in my family---I'm the first nurse, and I'll be the first physician. Plus, I started out with a bachelor degree in history.

However, you must increase your GPA and score at least a 25+ on the MCAT to be highly competitive for DO school.

All medical schools (MD and DO) are possible by age 24. I am going to be 34 when I enter medical school this summer! My science GPA is a 3.47 and my MCAT is 26. I attended two different community colleges after receiving my degrees in order to replace credits and complete my prerequisites. Many SDNers have done the same. In fact, I have attended a total of 5 colleges/universities!

The beauty of the AACOMAS is grade-replacement! You can raise your science and overall GPA sooooo much higher due to this wonderful rule.

Take whatever time is necessary to perform well and get your science GPA and overall GPA elevated. You can do it, and I'm sure you will do it. :)