Young URM Female, MD/DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forevercookie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
DO or MD is fine with me. I have two instate schools and one D.O. school and strong ties to VA, GA, SC, and Kansas. Chances?

Anthro
Overall: 3.5
Science: 3.3
URM... but did not check not disadvantaged box.
Under 20 years old - I know I am young.

MCAT: 24 TOTAL
6 PS - ouch! - I had a killer test day! I have always scored lowest here but had brought it to a 9 by practice test 10, oh well. Re-take in spring
10 - verbal (expected)
8 - BS (expected with no upper-level biology or orgo II)
I self studied so I will take a class and re-take in Spring

Research, leadership, summer job, clinical experience with underserved, tutor, etc:

Service summer job - 200 hrs
3 years of chemistry research - 2 incoming publications
2 top 5 school summer programs
Hospice - 100
Free clinic - 100
Nursing home - 200
President of two diff. orgs - 400
Court volunteer - 150
Sleeping with Homeless program - 150
mentoring urban youth - about 80-100
church director of youth - 200
Shadowing family med, peds, internal, derm - 120 hrs
World travels, military upbringing, etc etc etc, it goes on & on

Strong LOR, submitting app next Thursday after sit down with committee letter leader.

I will go anywhere because I just want to be a doctor. $, MD/DO, location does not matter to me because I enjoy both and have moved so often I do not really have a "home state".

Thanks ya'll

Members don't see this ad.

I would take a gap year and retake the MCAT, that 24 will make it tough for DO schools and noncompetitive for MD schools, especially with your GPA not being stellar.

That said, you might be competitive for DO, though I am not super familiar with those numbers so someone else can fill that in hopefully.

You are ok for DO though... No chances at MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a URM, you might have betetr luck than you think. You're fine for Do programs, and tey MD with your state schools, the low tier MD schools, all of the newest schools (except in PA) and the HBCs.

DO or MD is fine with me. I have two instate schools and one D.O. school and strong ties to VA, GA, SC, and Kansas. Chances?

Anthro
Overall: 3.5
Science: 3.3
URM... but did not check not disadvantaged box.
Under 20 years old - I know I am young.

MCAT: 24 TOTAL
6 PS - ouch! - I had a killer test day! I have always scored lowest here but had brought it to a 9 by practice test 10, oh well. Re-take in spring
10 - verbal (expected)
8 - BS (expected with no upper-level biology or orgo II)
I self studied so I will take a class and re-take in Spring

Research, leadership, summer job, clinical experience with underserved, tutor, etc:

Service summer job - 200 hrs
3 years of chemistry research - 2 incoming publications
2 top 5 school summer programs
Hospice - 100
Free clinic - 100
Nursing home - 200
President of two diff. orgs - 400
Court volunteer - 150
Sleeping with Homeless program - 150
mentoring urban youth - about 80-100
church director of youth - 200
Shadowing family med, peds, internal, derm - 120 hrs
World travels, military upbringing, etc etc etc, it goes on & on

Strong LOR, submitting app next Thursday after sit down with committee letter leader.

I will go anywhere because I just want to be a doctor. $, MD/DO, location does not matter to me because I enjoy both and have moved so often I do not really have a "home state".

Thanks ya'll

Last edited: