Your 2 Cents....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

new kid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For everyone going through the application/interview/acceptance/rejection process, pass along any advice you have for those of us that are will be in your shoes for the next year. :)

Members don't see this ad.

new kid said:
For everyone going through the application/interview/acceptance/rejection process, pass along any advice you have for those of us that are will be in your shoes for the next year. :)

Overall: Apply to as many schools as you can sfely afford!!!!! Never be caught short b/c you didn't want to shell out for app fees.

1. Apply to your dream school no matter what your stats or $$.
2. Apply to safety schools that fit your stats (Temple).
3. Buy a new suit for intreviews
4. Apply early!

4. Apply early!

5. Make sure you check out the school's website and see if you meet their entry requirements. ie. do you need biochem or other additional sciences
6. Send in the AADSAS even if you haven't taken the DAT yet. This way you beat the mad rush.
7. Do as best as you can on the DAT-- Take it VERY seriously!

paolorossifan said:
This is just begging for a tiff with Dr Badvibes

Members don't see this ad :)
4. Apply early!

5. Make sure you check out the school's website and see if you meet their entry requirements. ie. do you need biochem or other additional sciences
6. Send in the AADSAS even if you haven't taken the DAT yet. This way you beat the mad rush.
7. Do as best as you can on the DAT-- Take it VERY seriously!

I'd add, depending on your stats, not to over-apply. I know this directly contracdicts what paoplorossifan said, but seriously - if your stats are stellar, there's no reason to apply to more than your top choice(s) and a few safety schools, but there's no reason to go crazy and waste all that money... just make sure your get your app in EARLY (cannot overstress this point).

You said it! Now all you have to do it go overboard on Columbia encomia, and you're set :D

DMD_hopeful said:

I know. Just being honest.

Oh, and one more thing - send your LORs and transcripts directly to the schools, not via AADSAS; you could be saving yourself time, ibuprofen and money off your phone bill ;)

Tzips said:
Oh, and one more thing - send your LORs and transcripts directly to the schools, not via AADSAS; you could be saving yourself time, ibuprofen and money off your phone bill ;)

Will schools take photocopies of your LORs and transcripts? Because if you send the official ones directly to the school and the professors only gave you one copy, doesn't it seem like a waste of a LOR when AADSAS can duplicate them and they would still be official?

Ok I really don't know how things work, as I will also be applying in the 2006 cycle as well. :confused:

Thanks everybody, keep adding to the list.

1. Overall: Apply to as many schools as you can sfely afford!!!!! Never be caught short b/c you didn't want to shell out for app fees.
2. Apply to your dream school no matter what your stats or $$.
3. Apply to safety schools that fit your stats (Temple).
4. Buy a new suit for intreviews
5. Apply early!
6. Make sure you check out the school's website and see if you meet their entry requirements. ie. do you need biochem or other additional sciences
7. Send in the AADSAS even if you haven't taken the DAT yet. This way you beat the mad rush.
8. Do as best as you can on the DAT-- Take it VERY seriously!
9. I'd add, depending on your stats, not to over-apply. I know this directly contracdicts what paoplorossifan said, but seriously - if your stats are stellar, there's no reason to apply to more than your top choice(s) and a few safety schools, but there's no reason to go crazy and waste all that money... just make sure your get your app in EARLY (cannot overstress this point).
10. Oh, and one more thing - send your LORs and transcripts directly to the schools, not via AADSAS; you could be saving yourself time, ibuprofen and money off your phone bill
11. i made stamped envelopes w/ the dental schools address on each envelope; and asked for each of my recommenders to write a generic AADSAS LOR, photocopy, and send out to individual schools.
12. send checks to the schools before they contact you (unless otherwise stated on their website)

1. Overall: Apply to as many schools as you can sfely afford!!!!! Never be caught short b/c you didn't want to shell out for app fees.
5. Apply early!
6. Make sure you check out the school's website and see if you meet their entry requirements. ie. do you need biochem or other additional sciences
7. Send in the AADSAS even if you haven't taken the DAT yet. This way you beat the mad rush.
9. I'd add, depending on your stats, not to over-apply. I know this directly contracdicts what paoplorossifan said, but seriously - if your stats are stellar, there's no reason to apply to more than your top choice(s) and a few safety schools, but there's no reason to go crazy and waste all that money... just make sure your get your app in EARLY (cannot overstress this point).
10. Oh, and one more thing - send your LORs and transcripts directly to the schools, not via AADSAS; you could be saving yourself time, ibuprofen and money off your phone bill
11. i made stamped envelopes w/ the dental schools address on each envelope; and asked for each of my recommenders to write a generic AADSAS LOR, photocopy, and send out to individual schools.
12. send checks to the schools before they contact you (unless otherwise stated on their website)
13. Make sure you bring a pencil or pen to the interview along with a few index cards you can keep in your pocket. You'll end up writing down a lot of information you get at the interview.
14. Take advantage of every resource you have, you will get the best advice from the most unexpected of sources.
15. Write 'thank-you cards' to your interviewers. It may not end up helping, but I think it does make a good impression.
16. (An extension to #6) If you have a question about a schools requirements, call the school. The only people who can answer those question are admissions staffers, not SDNers.
17. Take everything you read on SDN with a grain of salt. SDNers think they know alot more than they really do.

edkNARF said:
17. Take everything you read on SDN with a grain of salt. SDNers think they know alot more than they really do.

You mean we don't know everything?? I'm shocked that you can even imply such a thing. Shocked. :D

Ok, so maybe we're not omniscient. Just realise that (most of) what we're saying comes from our own experience, and your experience maybe very dissimilar to ours.

And about the LORs - what AUG2UAG said, just give the professor envelopes addressed to all the schools to which you are applying. For the prof, writing the letter is the hard part - printing out a few more copies shouldn't make that much of a difference. You should never see them, btw - he or she should mail them directly to the schools.

18. Be flexible. Things won't always go as planned...know that in advance.

edkNARF said:
5. Apply early!
13. Make sure you bring a pencil or pen to the interview along with a few index cards you can keep in your pocket. You'll end up writing down a lot of information you get at the interview.
14. Take advantage of every resource you have, you will get the best advice from the most unexpected of sources.
15. Write 'thank-you cards' to your interviewers. It may not end up helping, but I think it does make a good impression.
16. (An extension to #6) If you have a question about a schools requirements, call the school. The only people who can answer those question are admissions staffers, not SDNers.