Your Favorite TY/Prelim of the Season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheTwits

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that rank lists are submitted, I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone's favorite TY's and prelims were from this season?

I'll start us off:
Indiana University - Methodist: The decision to rank this program #1 was really easy for me. Indianapolis is actually a cool city that's really affordable. The program director here, Dr. Black, was easily the coolest PD I met anywhere. The residents were happy, and 6 blocks of electives allows for the ultimate customization of experiences.

Other awesome programs:
Methodist Houston - I hear this one's closing, which is a shame.
St. Vincent's - Indianapolis. Great program. Nice people. Take quite a few.
UPMC Mercy - Pittsburgh was surprisingly interesting, and this was easily my favorite TY there.
Intermountain - a harder year, but ridiculous outdoor opportunities in Salt Lake during free time. Everyone was really nice.
Einstein Philly - just cut their TY spots down to 6, I believe. Increased Prelim Med spots to compensate. Still seems good.

Ran out of funds toward the end of the season, so didn't make it to Denver's TY or the Riverside TY - both of which I'm somewhat depressed about. I've heard awesome things.

What were some of your favorites?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In no particular order...

Spartanburg - just an awesome year all around. Location may be a drag for some.
St. Luke's Presby (Denver) - sweet program in an awesome location
Trident (Charleston, SC) - got a good vibe here. May work a bit harder than some others.

I really loved both Gunderson Lutheran and Kettering. Both programs have some specific advantages and disadvantages. For instance, Gunderson pays 56k per year and provides extremely affordable housing. The program director said that it's "not the hardest, not the easiest. That's right where I want it." The residents all said that they wouldn't pick another intern year if they had a choice of any program in the country (a significant endorsement, IMO). The only problem is that it's in La Crosse, Wisconsin... The land of snow and beer. If this program were in a warmer, larger city, it would be one of the most competitive in the country, I feel.

Kettering had a great program as well. The PD was a legitimately nice guy with a vested interest in the betterment of his residents. It's entirely focused on IM, so there are no surgical months. The hospital is amazing... It looks like a 5 star hotel. Food there is fantastic and 100% free for residents, which is a huge perk for those of us who's culinary skills consist of grilled cheese and cereal. Negatives are hard to find..I suppose that the Dayton area can be considered a negative, depending on your point of view.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user