Your First Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confettiflyer

Model Citizen™
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Every pharmacist remembers their first time....
...verifying/signing off on an order/prescription!

What was your first order/prescription that you signed off on as a licensed pharmacist?

Members don't see this ad.

Every pharmacist remembers their first time....
...verifying/signing off on an order/prescription!

Guess I'm not like every pharmacist. I don't remember anything about the first med I signed off. It was during residency, got a hundred other things to plan for and think about, signing off on a med didn't even register on the radar.

Mine was NS flush prn, hahaha.

I did a two second raise the roof then got back to work, haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't remember...

Reactions: 1 user
Mine was a diaudid 2.2 tablets every four hours for anxiety. First day floating and I was at a store in the hood. Expected a lot of things, but not this. Obviously it wasn't the first one I checked but it was the first one I saw. I will never forget it.

I don't remember, and this was only back in 2012.

I remember the first prescription I ever verified as an intern under the supervision of a pharmacist "preceptor" was on rotations. She said "Honey, let me teach you how to check a prescription." She taught me to start from the top down on the NYS blank, and make sure everything matched up with the label. Then use my judgement to see if it made sense or not. It was for amoxicillin 500mg for an adult. I will never ever forget that moment. It was when I realized, ****, I'm gonna alright. She was a great role model. Shout out to Marina from New London Pharmacy in NYC. A great independent to work for.

Well I have no clue, although I do recall the first time I saw my name listed as the PRh on the label. That was quite a kick.

I do remember the first voicemail I ever took. It was for Amox 500mg. I had to replay it several times before I could get all the info. When I asked the RPh if they all were that fast he laughed in my face and said that was nothing. He was right.

add me to the list of pharmacists who don't remember

I remember the first person I counseled, but not the first rx I verified.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Mine was on the beach under a harvest moon.

I dont remember the actual drug, but I had my coworker take a pic of me typing submit. I also took a pic of the first bag I signed off (name etc not in frame).

I never thought about that before, now I wish I had paid attention to the first order I reviewed. As it is, I have absolutely no idea.....I think part of it was my supervisor sat in his office & was letting me handle everything before I was officially licensed.

i remember my first paycheck, it was chopped in half!

I don't remember and it was like two week ago

Preceptors should all give their students a chance to pre-verify scripts: both in inpatient and outpatient. I did a whole rotation where all I did was pre-verify. It definitely helps a student to hit the ground running when they get licensed.

Can't remember... what I do remember, is what the system still had me as an intern when I came for my first shift as a pharmacist, so I had to track down the pharmacy manager, call her at home, login as her and change myself to the pharmacist. And by the time all of that was done, I had a pile of scripts to verify (back then I actually had a tech with me from the beginning of the shift, now I think virtually every store has techs coming in an hour or two later...).

In general, I tend not to remember things that are not useful or particularly pleasant. So anything I do in the pharmacy generally leaves my head within 24 hours (I would like to say as soon as I leave the pharmacy, but I cannot, since sometimes I get calls from the next person asking about something that was going earlier).

I think I only remember my first because it was so mundane. 4yrs of pharmacy school and....saline?

The next time will be my first time.

Occasionally I wonder why I bother with keeping my pharmacist license- nothing that I have ever done meets the definition of the Pharmacy Practice Act in the states where I have lived.

The next time will be my first time.

Occasionally I wonder why I bother with keeping my pharmacist license- nothing that I have ever done meets the definition of the Pharmacy Practice Act in the states where I have lived.

That seems like it would be really weird, to be licensed as a pharmacist and never once verified a prescription.

Oh well, it's not like you're missing much.