Your grandest plans thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, should I?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, my dream plans would include many of the above. Here are the highlights:
1. After med school and residency and fellowship(s) begin a career in a specialty that will continue to enthrall me for the remainder of my working life while affording a comfortable lifestyle (see below).
2. Travel to just about anywhere I have ever wanted to visit.
3. Become a pilot and even own my own plane.
4. Build a dream home, then build a dream vacation home.
5. Build a coin collection to rival the Smithsonian's.

My more realistic hopes/expectations would belong in a different thread :D

Members don't see this ad :)
My dream plane:

http://www.hawkerbeechcraft.com/beechcraft/baron_g58/

Now, if i could remember where I put that spare 1.3 million...Maybe I'll settle for a share in one somewhere.

I really don't know where my sailing desire comes from, being as landlocked as my life has been. It just slowly developed over the years. Now that I've been traveling a few times it's more intense than ever though. It would be such a great way to see so much of the world. If I don't get of the wait list this year, I'll try to incorporate some sailing into my winter travel plans.

Yes.

ditto. but a bush plane, w/ floats and/or skis, that I could land anywhere.

What's it about... besides sailing...

You MAY be able to land anywhere, but CAN you land anywhere is another question....

What's it about... besides sailing...

You MAY be able to land anywhere, but CAN you land anywhere is another question....

Inspiring story of a girl's solo circumnavigation at 18, long before the latest media frenzied, failed attempt of the younger girl, sometime last year.

Can I land anywhere, like, legally, or capably? Capably, I can do anything :D

Inspiring story of a girl's solo circumnavigation at 18, long before the latest media frenzied, failed attempt of the younger girl, sometime last year.

Can I land anywhere, like, legally, or capably? Capably, I can do anything :D

May implies you had the permission to do so, can implies your own ability to do so... and Uhhhuhhh, lots of guys say that... :p

I would like to chime in:

Short term

-I would like to make my mind up on applying this cycle or not:confused:
-Continue to study my butt off and defeat this MCAT phobia:xf:
-Complete Grad School
-Find more time in a day:p
-Become fluent in spanish
-Find a better job
-get my kids through this school year
-Reduce anxiety:laugh:
-Commit to exercise regimen

Long Term

-Enter medical school
-Buy my Dream House
-Buy a new car
-Continue to get my kids through school
-Save up for kids college fund
-Complete Residency
-Begin Practice in a field I absolutely Love
-Get out of Debt:eek:
-Assist in getting my husband and kids some of their long time wishes
-Travel
-Start a non-for-profit for disadvantaged youth
-Be the best role model I can possibly be
-Be the best Wife and Mom I can be:love:

I don't think I noted everything, but I'll have to get back with ya!
Love this thread by the way:thumbup:

-Find more time in a day:p
I second that. I've always thought I'd do very well with a 30 hour day. 9-10 hours of sleep and 20 hours to do everything else, like, apparently, post to online forums in bed at 9:30 on a Friday night. Yay non-trad life!

I second that. I've always thought I'd do very well with a 30 hour day. 9-10 hours of sleep and 20 hours to do everything else, like, apparently, post to online forums in bed at 9:30 on a Friday night. Yay non-trad life!

Yeah I know it can really get "wild and crazy!"

I am new here but jumping in.

Before med school:
Run a marathon this year
Get my GPA up
Decide on a major (ha!)

After med school:
Spend much needed time with my family!!!
Buy a Lamborghini
Buy a house on the beach
Do medical missions (which is why I really want to be a doctor)

I am new here but jumping in.

Before med school:
Run a marathon this year
Get my GPA up
Decide on a major (ha!)

After med school:
Spend much needed time with my family!!!
Buy a Lamborghini
Buy a house on the beach
Do medical missions (which is why I really want to be a doctor)

You don't need to have been here a long time to post ;)

The new lambos are just Audis in cooler chassis... they are owned by VW, and if you want the high end super car, stick with Ferrari... ;) or Porsche (who has always been tied to VW)...

Members don't see this ad :)
my pilot friend says something about helicopters beat the earth until the earth rejects them...

my pilot friend says something about helicopters beat the earth until the earth rejects them...
My summer job is on a helicopter. I'm totally stealing that line. Thanks!:)

i want to eat out every night. i hate cooking.

Those are like fighting words SBB =P I will stick with my lambo =O) I want a bright orange one at that!!! haha

I do NOT want to eat out every night. But I do want a very large gourmet kitchen so I can cook to my heart's content.

I'm a heck of a cook.

Team 911, right here! :D

I'd really like a med school interview and I would like to interview at the school in my old size 6 suit which almost. fits. gah.

I want to go to medical school and do my residency without moving my family.

Those are like fighting words SBB =P I will stick with my lambo =O) I want a bright orange one at that!!! haha

I'll stick with my 911 Turbo ;) WE CAN RACE!!! :D

Team 911, right here! :D

Porsche isn't a part of my plan, but I wanted to point out that you guys seem to have forgotten about the GT2, which would ravage a 911 turbo (and a lambo, if you're doing anything on an actual road as opposed to the track)

You don't need to have been here a long time to post ;)

The new lambos are just Audis in cooler chassis... they are owned by VW, and if you want the high end super car, stick with Ferrari... ;) or Porsche (who has always been tied to VW)...

Anyone care to mention the handbuilt Aston Martin? Anyone?

If I can't see myself taking it to the track and beating the crap out of it as I turn left and right, I just can't buy it. :(

If I can't see myself taking it to the track and beating the crap out of it as I turn left and right, I just can't buy it. :(

If you can afford the Aston, you can afford the Porsche... Daily driver, ya know ;)

I do NOT want to eat out every night. But I do want a very large gourmet kitchen so I can cook to my heart's content.

I'm a heck of a cook.

it's all fun and games 'til you have to do the dishes.

Porsche isn't a part of my plan, but I wanted to point out that you guys seem to have forgotten about the GT2, which would ravage a 911 turbo (and a lambo, if you're doing anything on an actual road as opposed to the track)

I don't want a GT2. The reason I don't want a GT2 is that if I was going to go with RWD, I would get a GT3 instead because the GT3 is normally aspirated and doesn't have turbo lag. :cool:

If I was going to spend THAT much money, I would get a Bugatti or 5 911 turbos... :p or 2 Ferrari F430s... plus some other stuff :D

<3 thread idea. :cool:

Grab-bag today:
I'd love to practice healthcare in >10 states.
I'd love to enjoy my current state as I'll never get it back.
I'd love to find time to backpack and see the natural beauty of Central and South America before I hit 30.
I'd love to whitewater raft on a regular basis for a year or so.
I'd love to get through the rest of my grad school education debt free.
I'd love to spend 3 months with a kindle and a deserted beach reading to my hearts content countless novels I have not had time to read.
I'd love to hang-glide along tall beach cliffs.
I'd love to be a part-consultant in older age.
I'd love to end my struggle with materialism.
I'd love to create enough savings to provide some blanket of security.
I'd love to settle down when the time is right.
I'd love to see natural wonders of this world before they're lost in my lifetime.
I'd love to bring a smile to a patient's face at-least every other time I see a patient.

We'll see!

I don't want a GT2. The reason I don't want a GT2 is that if I was going to go with RWD, I would get a GT3 instead because the GT3 is normally aspirated and doesn't have turbo lag. :cool:

:cool::cool:The engines are too similar to say that putting 2 turbos on one somehow makes it worse.:cool::cool::cool:

GT2
0-60: 3.6 seconds
0-124: 10.6 seconds
Top speed: 206 mph
523 HP
500 lb*ft torque

GT3
0-60: 4.0 seconds
0-124: 13.3 seconds
Top speed: 193 mph
415-450-500 HP (3.6L vs 3.8L vs 4.0L)

I searched like Indiana Jones for the problem with those turbos, I just couldn't find it.

If you can afford the Aston, you can afford the Porsche... Daily driver, ya know ;)

Right, why not just get both amirite or amirite? :p :laugh:

it's all fun and games 'til you have to do the dishes.

OH ILL TRADE CLEANING FOR SOME COOKING. RIGHT HERE.

:cool::cool:The engines are too similar to say that putting 2 turbos on one somehow makes it worse.:cool::cool::cool:

GT2
0-60: 3.6 seconds
0-124: 10.6 seconds
Top speed: 206 mph
523 HP
500 lb*ft torque

GT3
0-60: 4.0 seconds
0-124: 13.3 seconds
Top speed: 193 mph
415-450-500 HP (3.6L vs 3.8L vs 4.0L)

I searched like Indiana Jones for the problem with those turbos, I just couldn't find it.

At the end of the day though, it all boils down to who wants to push the brakes and the gas pedal harder, faster, and better. I never understood people when they talk car specs at meets.. it would just go through one ear and out the other.

At the end of the day though, it all boils down to who wants to push the brakes and the gas pedal harder, faster, and better. I never understood people when they talk car specs at meets.. it would just go through one ear and out the other.

Across various drivers this is true.

Holding the driver constant and changing the cars, specs matter...albeit not as much as other preferences.

One spec can obscure another (i.e. increase in HP can be mitigated by increase in vehicle weight, or turbo lag as was pointed out).

At the end of the day there are only two "specs" I care about. How fast does it go in a straight line, and can it pull more than 1 g on the skid pad?

And even those things are less important to me than how it feels to drive the car. Anyway, that's it for my car talk. I'll post a legitimate response in the thread later.

Does the mod staff need to put you on post-hold to get you to go study for finals? What happened to that SDN vacation? ;)

Across various drivers this is true.

Holding the driver constant and changing the cars, specs matter...albeit not as much as other preferences.

One spec can obscure another (i.e. increase in HP can be mitigated by increase in vehicle weight, or turbo lag as was pointed out).

At the end of the day there are only two "specs" I care about. How fast does it go in a straight line, and can it pull more than 1 g on the skid pad?

And even those things are less important to me than how it feels to drive the car. Anyway, that's it for my car talk. I'll post a legitimate response in the thread later.

Expensive cars completely fit in the grandest plans thread... Pons, I'm done with my finals :p MCAT that's another story... ;)

Last edited:

I'm a heck of a cook.
Hurray for the cooks!

So when we bought our tiny little ranch house, the deal was my wife got the barn and I got a kitchen. Gourmet, no. But the Dacor dual fuel 48" range is my Porsche.:D

Does the mod staff need to put you on post-hold to get you to go study for finals? What happened to that SDN vacation? ;)

What he meant was that instead of posting 1,000 posts a day, he'd only be posting 100 posts a day. :laugh:

Hurray for the cooks!

my wife got the barn and I got a kitchen. Gourmet, no. But the Dacor dual fuel 48" range is my Porsche.:D

Personally, I'd get much more utility out of that than a Porsche. That said, if I have the Porsche, or any fancy car for that matter, I damn well already have the kitchen.

I just want 3 convection ovens... I am not such a grand cook, but I am a baker ;)

I just want 3 convection ovens... I am not such a grand cook, but I am a baker ;)

Ok, I'll bite. What's going in 3 convection ovens at once? I'm intrigued...and hungry!

My wife's family is from the coast (East). I'd love to go to med school somewhere close to home. Get an EM residency in a big city. Have 2-3 more kids. Move back near my wife's hometown, buy a nice big Intercoastal/Marsh lot and owner-build my dreamhouse. I was an engineer in my past life, so I already have spec'ed out the plans in CAD (heehee). It's this gorgeous Southern Mansion type home and I want it built out of all older looking red brick. Lots of outdoor living space. Perfect home- not any of this tract home crap. Space for a future elevator for when we get old and can't walk anymore.

And I'd like to own a huge catamaran. There. I said it.

I would like to do international volunteer work. My wife is also in healthcare and once the kids are out of the house I think we'd make a pretty good team somewhere third world.

There are LOTS of times I want 3 ovens. You can slow cook your roast in one, bake a pie in another and then cookies, and a cake in the third.

Or keep sides warm in the second, and bake dessert in the third.

Three ovens are a necessity. As is a griddle-top and six burners. Yup... all part of my grandest plans.

There are LOTS of times I want 3 ovens. You can slow cook your roast in one, bake a pie in another and then cookies, and a cake in the third.

Three ovens are a necessity. As is a griddle-top and six burners. Yup... all part of my grandest plans.

Great minds think alike!!! Ok, so really for me what would be going on in three ovens... cheesecake, creme brulee, pies, cookies, cake, brownies, etc... Pies need high heat, cheesecake and creme brulee need low heat, cookies and cakes need medium heat... do you know how long it takes me with one oven to make 5 pies!!! HOURS!!!!

Runner: My house wins... http://www.theplancollection.com/house-plans/home-plan-14337 ;) (really, everyone should look at this house...)

Pies and cookies and cake! Wow! We got some serious bakers in the house. I'ld be a fat boy in a heartbeat. Have to change my moniker to 'pedrogordito'.

6 burners w/ griddle, check. 2 ovens (I'll need a sous chef for 3), check. The subtle magic of sauces, check. Baking, uh...not so much. I can only wish. There is some artistry there that I can only admire from a longing distance.

Some day we'll have the great nontrads cooking and cars festival. We'll feast and pose and race... And answer our pagers.

Great minds think alike!!! Ok, so really for me what would be going on in three ovens... cheesecake, creme brulee, pies, cookies, cake, brownies, etc... Pies need high heat, cheesecake and creme brulee need low heat, cookies and cakes need medium heat... do you know how long it takes me with one oven to make 5 pies!!! HOURS!!!!

Runner: My house wins... http://www.theplancollection.com/house-plans/home-plan-14337 ;) (really, everyone should look at this house...)

Nice house! Kind of huge, though, lol. Mine is only 6,000 sq feet.

Pies and cookies and cake! Wow! We got some serious bakers in the house. I'ld be a fat boy in a heartbeat. Have to change my moniker to 'pedrogordito'.

6 burners w/ griddle, check. 2 ovens (I'll need a sous chef for 3), check. The subtle magic of sauces, check. Baking, uh...not so much. I can only wish. There is some artistry there that I can only admire from a longing distance.

Some day we'll have the great nontrads cooking and cars festival. We'll feast and pose and race... And answer our pagers.

Sounds like the makings of a great meetup! Baking isn't art, its chemistry... WAY more than cooking is... So, if gen and O chem are your thing, baking should be easypeasy!!!

Nice house! Kind of huge, though, lol. Mine is only 6,000 sq feet.

IT HAS A TOWER!!! THAT MAKES IT THE COOOOOOLEST HOUSE EVERRRRR!!! :D Haven't you always wanted a tower? I have!!! Just don't build on a fault line... ;)
For the record, this is really the dream home, but with a larger garage, and removing some of the kinks in the walls to make for easier/cheaper/greener building... http://www.theplancollection.com/house-plans/home-plan-15579

Sounds like the makings of a great meetup! Baking isn't art, its chemistry... WAY more than cooking is... So, if gen and O chem are your thing, baking should be easypeasy!!!

IT HAS A TOWER!!! THAT MAKES IT THE COOOOOOLEST HOUSE EVERRRRR!!! :D Haven't you always wanted a tower? I have!!! Just don't build on a fault line... ;)
For the record, this is really the dream home, but with a larger garage, and removing some of the kinks in the walls to make for easier/cheaper/greener building... http://www.theplancollection.com/house-plans/home-plan-15579
Yep, the tower makes it! I need long, spiraling, unguarded stair to my alchemist's study