Your grandest plans thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ha! Yes cars make me happy, see even though I've been married for 10 yrs already I need an expensive car to ride around in to show off my sugar momma persona ;) Not to mention I live in Florida so I NEED to fit in ... right??

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, the tower makes it! I need long, spiraling, unguarded stair to my alchemist's study

What! All I can think of is how to turn it into my secret lair for becoming a mad scientist in my spare time! Or possibly locking my husband up there when he makes me mad ;) (kidding) or throwing water balloons at guests... hmmm I think ALL houses need a tower...

Ha! Yes cars make me happy, see even though I've been married for 10 yrs already I need an expensive car to ride around in to show off my sugar momma persona ;) Not to mention I live in Florida so I NEED to fit in ... right??

and to make all your kids' friends jealous... ;)

I have been fortunate to become successful in life when it comes to making money. I want to build hospitals and medical clinics in other countries and start my own orphanage.

Clearly you do NOT have a biology degree ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Awwwwww yeah, that's what I'm talking about, look at that beautiful piece of metal!!! We should start our own lambo club!

Well, I've still got quite some way to go as a nontrad, but here's the plan:

1. Both semesters of chemistry at Oregon State U this summer.

2. A year of physics, biology, and o-chem, plus a semester of statistics, at University of Alaska Fairbanks starting this fall. Who needs daylight anyway?

3. Spend a year applying to med schools, interviewing and hopefully getting accepted somewhere.

4. Med school, ideally at University of Washington. If I can go there, I'll buy a boat and live on it. That way I'll have a place to live and a way to go fishing on both of my days off.

5. Orthopedic surgery residency. Sounds like fun.

6. Work for a year to pay for stages 1-5 and to save enough money to support myself in number 7.

7. Rejoin Mercy Ships as a bone carpenter instead of a wood and plastic carpenter. Live on the Africa Mercy until I get tired of it.

Awwwwww yeah, that's what I'm talking about, look at that beautiful piece of metal!!! We should start our own lambo club!

Ok, you're messing with my generalization assumptions. Only men are allowed to slobber over hot cars.

Actually I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went to a small liberal arts college. I worked hard to generate income when I was a student and have been pushing forward for since graduation to make money. I don't have a life outside of work. When I am not working, I focus my time on my wife (I have no friends at all anymore).

Sales SO does NOT count as working in biology... :p I wanted to do sales, then I realized I have too many scruples to be a pharmaceutical rep...

Ok, you're messing with my generalization assumptions. Only men are allowed to slobber over hot cars.

Ed, can you please join us in the 21st century... Paging Edlongshanks, we're in the 21st century, Edlongshanks to the 21st century please... ;)

I met my husband when he worked for a Porsche dealer in Mpls, he started working for a VW dealer and one day I stopped in with a Caymen (which was brand new at the time) some VW mechanic came out and started arguing with me about the car, telling me it's on a 911 platform. I said, no it's a mid-engine boxter platform, and walked away to give the keys to the hubby to take for a spin. Jackwagon told my husband to "keep his dog on a leash" and jackwagon was told "hey ******* my wife knows more about porsches than you can possibly comprehend, and you would be wise to listen to her the next time she tells you something about one because she's right. The guy was dumbstruck... I think I could have knocked him over with a feather... Although I remember wanting to use something harder.... ;)

I have ALWAYS loved Porsches and (Yes mommymed) Lamborghinis... However, the lambo I want is very difficult to obtain (Diablo), but the Aventador would certainly not be a car I'd turn down.

hahahaha Ed ... sorry but isn't it hot when a woman drools over cars?? That's why you men like the posters of the women hanging off of nice cars, right? =P

Yes, I concur, the diablo is THE BEST, one day my friend, one day, I will own one

There are LOTS of times I want 3 ovens. You can slow cook your roast in one, bake a pie in another and then cookies, and a cake in the third.

Or keep sides warm in the second, and bake dessert in the third.

Three ovens are a necessity. As is a griddle-top and six burners. Yup... all part of my grandest plans.
:love::love::love: I hear you're taken, though.:cry:

Right now, I'd settle just for 6 square feet of counter space. I'll deal with my crappy electric stove with three out of four working burners and an oven that's so inconsistent that it might as well just have an on/off switch, just as long as I have prep space.

In the future, though, a large, fully stocked kitchen indoors, with a good grill and pit bbq/smoker out in the yard, next to my pool, maybe in the shade of some nice palm trees.

I'll put a quick end to the car discussion right now...

lamborghini-aventador-lp700-4---02.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
An in-unit washer/dryer would be nice too. I hate having to scramble around to find pants to put on before walking across the hall to do laundry.

Ed, can you please join us in the 21st century... Paging Edlongshanks, we're in the 21st century, Edlongshanks to the 21st century please... ;)

I prefer the 13th century thank you, you know the century where women knew their place - like Longshanks daughter-in-law, Isabella, the She-wolf of France, who had her husband murdered and then ruled in his place.

Come to think of it, maybe just being a fan of hot cars ain't so bad.:laugh:

And Ed, my work doesn't even allow me to wear a dress, so not only do I like fast cars, I wear jeans everyday ;) but I'm not going to murder my husband, so maybe that's a plus over the 13th?? Just a thought ;)

Pons, if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up!

I'm adding to my list...

I want to live and work (at a minimum have a second home) in Breckenridge (CO) and be back in the NSP. I have been skiing since I was 2 and MN is just not as fun as CO, and it just would be nice to get paid to do it ;) Even if it is only 10$/hr :D (Clearly it's a side job)

I'm adding to my list...

I want to live and work (at a minimum have a second home) in Breckenridge (CO) and be back in the NSP. I have been skiing since I was 2 and MN is just not as fun as CO, and it just would be nice to get paid to do it ;) Even if it is only 10$/hr :D (Clearly it's a side job)

Living in flat-ole Illinois and dreaming of mountains everyday, yea, Colorado mountains sound pretty good.

Add 'building a zero energy mountain home' to my list.

I'm adding to my list...

I did some shadowing this season at my home mountain's first aid station, mostly just for fun. The flow of broken gapers was endless, but the occassional interesting case did come through. The doc's however, were pretty fricken cool; retired psuedo ski bums (as much as a doc can be) just enjoying working on a mountain, getting to ski as much as they wanted, and enthusiastically teaching whatever willing student who would come around. I will be getting my EMT and would love to patrol between now and the start of med school, but getting in around Tahoe is like breaking into the mafia.

Anyway, as far as where to live, I've gotta be in a mountain town, or within quick access to some real mtns. Tahoe, Jackson, Bozeman, SLC, Breck, Telluride, etc... Any of these would do, so long as they have great terrain, good snow, and plenty of summer stuff to do when the snow isn't flying.

I:love:Breck....
But Colorado isn't for everyone... We'll see what happens. I have been told they (mountain towns) aren't easy to break into, but thankfully my husband and I have made some friends up there... Either way, I haven't been to Tahoe, just CO... We have free/cheap places to stay in Breck, so it's really hard to justify going elsewhere...

It really depends on what you're trying to get into. If we're talking about patrol positions, they've always seemed to be a mater of having the right connections (like, really, most things are). Find a way to live where you want to work, outlast the other wannabe's by sticking around for a bunch of years, and don't be a total douche.

If we're talking about establishing a medical practice in a ski town, that's something totally different. Of course, you don't have to travel far from most ski areas in CO to find rural towns that are likely to need physicians. Might be a great opportunity.

Both actually ;) I would love to practice there, and I would love to patrol there... Oddly, I have made some friends there through strange coincidences, and have been told to take the ski test... But, no time no ability right now... ALL of life and medicine is who you know, it all comes down to what others think of us, so put on the happy face ;) Oddly, I was a 'rescue victim' for Brecks search/rescue dog one year, pretty cool to get burried in a hole and have the dog find you and be dug out...

I wanted to add to my dream big list:

Washer and dryer in the living space.
Cliff in the back yard that I can develop routes on.
Someone to teach me how to cook.
A separate shed for all my shiny beat up climbing gear that gets used and loved.
A basement room full of girl scout cookies (so I can make a thin mint smore sandwich at 3 am whenever I want)
A play ground for big and little kids a like.

Chem---
I make a fabulous mint chocolate chip cheesecake and I use thin mints for the crust!! If you want the recipe let me know!

Here are some purley selfish and frivolous things to add to my 'grandest plans'

:: Get my own massage bed
:: Get weekly massages by massage therapist
:: Own a 'sustainable living' house in a rural area with at least 10 acres
:: Have a cook and housekeeper
:: Have a cool car

• ski till I die
  • practice medicine in some capacity till I die
  • be called on for advice, guidance, and wisdom till I die
  • stay fit till I die
  • cook ridiculously good food till I die
  • have a few of the same, great friends till I die
  • play golf till I die
  • be this good looking, till I die :laugh:

• ski till I die
  • stay fit till I die
  • play golf till I die

But in your avatar you have four legs and four arms and look like a spider....??? :p

TRU DAT!!! WOOHOOO!!! Partay time!

I've always wanted to get into research, and oddly enough I somehow got accepted into a program to do research over the summer for $3500 total (10 weeks at 30 hrs/wk).

[I remember whining to my mother every time some new research discovery was made.
"Mom, why can't I help? (Age 11+)"
"Thats for professionals to do. They can't let you in there."

I probably could have helped in high school, but being from disadvantaged and uninformed background, I didn't know!]

God had to do this because I NEVER applied - I only put in some dinky online form that said I would like to try research and that I am pre-med.

I also plan to design a beautiful home somewhere warm, with a small vacation home nex to my father's house. (He's the only living parent out of parents and grandparents.) Then there's this subculture I'm in that has these expensive dresses, and I'd like to have just one before I die. (They are around $300/piece and I'm at the poverty level now, lol)

I'd also like to be able to put my half sister and half brother that I just met through school. My father and his new wife are way too poor to afford to send them to a big university.

And it would be nice to go to Whole Foods and buy organic food without wondering if I can afford it.

• ski till I die
  • stay fit till I die
  • play golf till I die

THIS!

With the exception of the golf, of course, which is nothing but a good walk spoiled [Mark Twain].

?...
Cliff in the back yard that I can develop routes on.
Someone to teach me how to cook.

I absolutely love the cliff in the yard idea!

Try Harold Mcgee's "On Food and Cooking". Its a chemist's view of the art and a required tome for every cook's library.

I felt this thread needed to come back to the top of the list... new people what are your grandest plans??

Will some one else take care of it?? And I would want that, if I had a house like a hobbit... ;) with a big round door with a center door knob ;)

but isn't the skin pork rinds? Bacon is the belly... sliced pork bellies=bacon... anyway... creepy to think of that...

Goals:
  1. Survive residency
  2. Survive fellowship
  3. Find an academic job in my field, ideally located south of the Mason-Dixon line
  4. Mentor premeds, especially those from disadvantaged and/or nontraditional backgrounds
  5. Travel and give lectures to other physicians, like for conferences, CME, etc.
  6. Travel to the Galapagos Islands, the Panama Canal, Israel, India, and Japan
  7. Travel to the Pacific NW and see all of our National Parks. The only one I've been to so far is Mt. Rushmore. Well, and I've been to Niagara Falls and Everglades National Park, but I'm talking more about the ones out West.
  8. Become flexible enough to touch my toes without having to bend my knees
  9. Grow my hair out and donate it to make wigs for kids with cancer again. I did this twice during medical school--it takes about two years before it's ready for harvest, as they require 12 inches in a ponytail.
  10. Earn an MA in ethics. I see that as being something I can transition into later in life when the academic rat race begins to be too much for me. Plus, I have an odd number of degrees right now, and six is a much nicer number than five. :p

Dreams:
  1. My ultimate dream is to be a philanthropist. I'm not talking about a few hundred dollars worth of charity here and there; I'm talking on the scale of starting my own foundation. In particular, I would like to provide scholarships for people to attend college and medical school who would have great difficulty financing their education otherwise. I would also like to endow a chair for a pharmacology professor at my college.
  2. My other dream would be to start a non-profit pharmaceutical company. Instead of giving profits to shareholders, all profits would go back into further R & D. I would hire young, idealistic scientists who would be willing to accept lower pay for the chance to "make a difference."
  3. Make a sticky for the Nontrad forum that is so thorough and well-explained that no noob will ever ask a repeat question again. Yeah, there's a reason why I listed this one under "dreams" and not "goals"! ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Goals:
  1. Survive residency
  2. Survive fellowship
  3. Find an academic job in my field, ideally located south of the Mason-Dixon line
  4. Mentor premeds, especially those from disadvantaged and/or nontraditional backgrounds
  5. Travel and give lectures to other physicians, like for conferences, CME, etc.
  6. Travel to the Galapagos Islands, the Panama Canal, Israel, India, and Japan
  7. Travel to the Pacific NW and see all of our National Parks. The only one I've been to so far is Mt. Rushmore. Well, and I've been to Niagara Falls and Everglades National Park, but I'm talking more about the ones out West.
  8. Become flexible enough to touch my toes without having to bend my knees
  9. Grow my hair out and donate it to make wigs for kids with cancer again. I did this twice during medical school--it takes about two years before it's ready for harvest, as they require 12 inches in a ponytail.
  10. Earn an MA in ethics. I see that as being something I can transition into later in life when the academic rat race begins to be too much for me. Plus, I have an odd number of degrees right now, and six is a much nicer number than five. :p

Dreams:
  1. My ultimate dream is to be a philanthropist. I'm not talking about a few hundred dollars worth of charity here and there; I'm talking on the scale of starting my own foundation. In particular, I would like to provide scholarships for people to attend college and medical school who would have great difficulty financing their education otherwise. I would also like to endow a chair for a pharmacology professor at my college.
  2. My other dream would be to start a non-profit pharmaceutical company. Instead of giving profits to shareholders, all profits would go back into further R & D. I would hire young, idealistic scientists who would be willing to accept lower pay for the chance to "make a difference."
  3. Make a sticky for the Nontrad forum that is so thorough and well-explained that no noob will ever ask a repeat question again. Yeah, there's a reason why I listed this one under "dreams" and not "goals"! ;)

That's beautiful. Great thread. Before I play though. I have to say. As I have had a night job as a valet in a fancy San Francisco Hotel. That, first, movie stars are way shorter in person, and sencond, that Lambos are pointless creations. Uncomfortable race cars with license plates. To make use of any of the design features you're either a stunt man/woman or a race car driver. Dangerous and overly compensatory for just your average rich dude.

B's not so grand plans:

Stuff that has to be done
1. Do well in med school
2. Get a good step score
3. Move back the Pacific Coast for residency
4. Become a good resident and a skilled clinician
5. Score some nice gig(s)

Stuff I always wanted to do
6. Become an advanced yogi
7. Learn jiu jitsu
8. Learn to hunt/fish
9. Learn how to operate all manner or firearems and become adept at using them, and own some choice ones
10. Take an immersion Spansh course in a cool place.
11. Have my own study: replete with books, amped musical intruments, superior ergonomic furniture, stashes of every manner of psychadelic substances, and my own sensory deprivation tank to explore the frontiers of my own mind.
12. end specualtive exploration and enter into the serious study of a real spiritual disclipline. Perhaps with Sufi's of the lesser known sort.
Stuff that will take more than this lifetime:
13. Achieve Enlightenment

Last edited:
Make a sticky for the Nontrad forum that is so thorough and well-explained that no noob will ever ask a repeat question again. Yeah, there's a reason why I listed this one under "dreams" and not "goals"! ;)

That needs to be under another section called "delusions"

Love it guys!!! :)

Q- love the philanthropy, I'd like to start a free clinic and be able to give away blankets to homeless people in Mpls... (I can't save them all, but maybe keeping them warm is a start)

B- That's why I said before that I'd rather have a ferrari or a 911 turbo... :)

Goals:Earn an MA in ethics. I see that as being something I can transition into later in life when the academic rat race begins to be too much for me. Plus, I have an odd number of degrees right now, and six is a much nicer number than five. :p

Kansas City Osteopathic has an MA in bioethics dual degree program. Finding that tidbit made it my first choice for DO schools.

Goals
-Finish Post-bacc
-Get into med school
-Survive med school
-Survive residency
-Survive fellowship?
-Live and practice in the Pacific NW, preferably Portland
-Brew my own beer
-Help my wife get through ESL courses/college
-Build a house in the style of a machiya
-Have enough land to cultivate Japanese cherry trees and Japanese apricot trees
-A nice kitchen for my wife and I to refine our culinary skills
-Judo black belt
-Be able to squat 400 lbs.
-Get a PhD in Japanese History when I'm older
-Pay off debts and have enough money to treat friends/family to a nice meal

Dream

Retire either in Japan or Hawaii:spam:

Delusion

Win an olympic gold medal

Kansas City Osteopathic has an MA in bioethics dual degree program. Finding that tidbit made it my first choice for DO schools.
I thought this program looked pretty interesting. Might be a bit more realistic for me, since moving to Kansas City isn't something that will be happening in my foreseeable future. :hungover:

BTW, the Center for Practical Bioethics is in Kansas City (Missouri side). They put out a medical ethics podcast that I subscribe to. I wonder if KCUMB's ethics program is affiliated with them in some way.

Wow Q you really are degree seeking! ;) :p

And I didn't make that trollface pic. I usually just recycle it from the Internets(TM). :oops: When I first saw it too I thought of chicharron.