Your Opinion - Non Traditional & CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, my first semester comes to an end tomorrow and something has been on my mind. I am 30 years old, and this was my first semester in school (Other than 2 Math classes last summer in order to take Calc I this semester).

I've taken 17 hours and did pretty well considering I've never attended school after highschool in '97. All A's except one class with a B (A&P), unless I pull off a pretty good final tomorrow. (Yes, I am studying - just taking my break)

Anyways, I am worried that even with all this effort my plan may still have some bumps along the way.

My plan: This semester I've taken 17 hours, and Spring Semester I am taking 19. I am going to take my PCAT this summer and start applying to schools for the entering class 2010. I have about 5-6 schools in mind. Also, during my winter break, I plan to go ahead and take my PTCB test. (I heard that it wouldn't hurt). I have experience at a community pharmacy here locally, and spending some time shadowing at a nuclear pharmacy.

So, my plan looks okay right? But, here's the thing - I am attending a Community College to do my pre-pharm courses. I see a lot of folks on here downplaying credits earned at a Community College vs. University. (To be fair though, I also see folks defending CC) Again, I am 30 years old, have a family, and the closest university to me is about a 45 minute drive. So, in your opinion, what do you think? Is this doable or am I crazy in thinking that I may have a chance in getting accepted at a pharmacy school with my short time at a community college.

* I understand that the only people that can give me the "real" answers are the admission folks at the colleges I plan to apply to, but I am simply seeking input from you all. *

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, my first semester comes to an end tomorrow and something has been on my mind. I am 30 years old, and this was my first semester in school (Other than 2 Math classes last summer in order to take Calc I this semester).

I've taken 17 hours and did pretty well considering I've never attended school after highschool in '97. All A's except one class with a B (A&P), unless I pull off a pretty good final tomorrow. (Yes, I am studying - just taking my break)

Anyways, I am worried that even with all this effort my plan may still have some bumps along the way.

My plan: This semester I've taken 17 hours, and Spring Semester I am taking 19. I am going to take my PCAT this summer and start applying to schools for the entering class 2010. I have about 5-6 schools in mind. Also, during my winter break, I plan to go ahead and take my PTCB test. (I heard that it wouldn't hurt). I have experience at a community pharmacy here locally, and spending some time shadowing at a nuclear pharmacy.

So, my plan looks okay right? But, here's the thing - I am attending a Community College to do my pre-pharm courses. I see a lot of folks on here downplaying credits earned at a Community College vs. University. (To be fair though, I also see folks defending CC) Again, I am 30 years old, have a family, and the closest university to me is about a 45 minute drive. So, in your opinion, what do you think? Is this doable or am I crazy in thinking that I may have a chance in getting accepted at a pharmacy school with my short time at a community college.

* I understand that the only people that can give me the "real" answers are the admission folks at the colleges I plan to apply to, but I am simply seeking input from you all. *

Thanks.

Your plan looks great. And, no, you aren't crazy. My friend was accepted to p-school with only CC credits and an ok pcat. I think at the end of the day GPA matters more than where you earned the credits.

A's are A's no matter what way you look at them. Keep it up, and most schools should consider you. Smoke the PCATs and you should be fine. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Like everyone else is saying, I don't think pharmacy schools care whether or not its CC or university.

Med school on the other hand...

It's my belief that pharm schools won't look down on you for taking your units at a CC; however, they will give extra consideration to those who took them at a 4-year institution (such as a UC) because the competition is, without question, much greater.

From 1st hand experience - I can tell you it does matter - but not to the extent that you may think. In fact - the difference is marginal. It does not affect the bottom line of the application at all - But when looking at GPAs = Those that have an EXCELLENT gpa right from the beginning at a 4 yr university catch my attention. If they were awesome, right from the get go - they are definitely ready now.

That being said, if you have a 3.8 from a CC - you have a 3.8, and I am going to treat it as such. I am happy to see great gpas, no matter where they come from (I myself went to a CC before attending UF). There is no difference in the actual number. The manner by which you get that GPA does matter however.

I do take into account how it was earned - whether or not you took a full class load, whether or not you had worked during school as well.

Bottom line - Slam dunk every class you take. Put out max effort at everything you do. Get involved both in class and extracurriculars. Learn about our profession in anyway you can (volunteer, CPhT, Shadow, Prepharm). Build excellent relationships with your faculty and pharmacy staff. If you do all of this - when the time comes for you to apply - you will be pleased with the results.

~above~

OP: don't worry, you're on the right track.

keep in mind these forums are full of advice: mostly good, some not so much. take from it what you will.

even from your post i can see maturity and dedication show through. you want to be a pharmacist, you've got a plan to get into school, and you're acting on your plan.

good luck. :)

Regarding taking pharm pre-requisites at a CC, I think you should check with schools just to make sure. I've come across a few schools (can't remember which) that don't accept math/science courses in particular that are taken at a CC, and specify that they must be taken at a 4-year college.

Your plan sounds great though. All the best. :)

Last edited:
You are fine taking your courses at CC. If you run into any that can't be taken there, check out online class at the university. I am referring to sociology, psychology, religion, etc. Sciences may show up as online classes on your transcript, plus you may not learn as well(or maybe you will?).

As for someone saying there is a school that wont accept a CC course, I have not heard that. The only thing I have come across is my local CC does not offer Biochemistry, so that would end up needing to be taken at a university. Besides that, CC courses will all be fine.

A is an A is an A. Only think that sets grades apart are GPA. 3.7 CC GPA, may not seem as great as a 3.5 University grad. But that's al up to the schools you apply. Like you said, no one can really answer that question.

By the way, good job going back to school, or should I say to school. Never too late to learn.

Thanks.

people get accepted w/ cc credits all the time. just make sure those cc credits are recognized by the school which most schools are...but there are a few rare exceptions. some pharm schools have course equivalency tables for cc to let you know what class at what cc will be accepted for what prereq.

:thumbup:

I think you have a great plan and foo to those who want you to think you will have inferior application due to credits from a CC. Keep on taking that full course load, acing your classes, and preparing for the PCAT - you'll be in a great position to apply next year. Good luck!

(And of course, as you already said in your post, double-check with your specific schools of interest to make sure they don't have any issues or restrictions on CC credits).