your opinion would be appreicated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SimpleMe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

with my low undergrad GPA 3.07 and the following grades obtained from pre-med courses :

Bio II : B-
Chem I : BC
Chem II : B-
Phys I : B
Phys II : B
Cal I : AB
O-Chem I : CD

Bio I, O-chem II and Biochem : Haven't taken yet

Do you guys think it is a good ideas to retake some courses at Harvard Extension? If not, is there a better route I can take with this academic status? i am willing to be a D.O. as long as I can be a doctor to serve the sick.

Please please give me some advices!! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

SimpleMe said:
Hi all!

with my low undergrad GPA 3.07 and the following grades obtained from pre-med courses :

Bio II : B-
Chem I : BC
Chem II : B-
Phys I : B
Phys II : B
Cal I : AB
O-Chem I : CD

Bio I, O-chem II and Biochem : Haven't taken yet

Do you guys think it is a good ideas to retake some courses at Harvard Extension? If not, is there a better route I can take with this academic status? i am willing to be a D.O. as long as I can be a doctor to serve the sick.

Please please give me some advices!! :confused:

Hmmm.... I'm sure you'll get all kinds of responses. I guess my first question would be, how long ago did you take those courses? Would you need a refresher for yourself in order to do as best you can on the MCAT?

My 2 cents would be: if you recently graduated, I would take the pre-reqs that remain and take a number of additional/upper division science courses to boost your gpa. Other people who have taken a lot of science courses already (ie, bio majors) will opt for a master's program all in an effort to prove their proficiency and capability in mastering the sciences. For many of these people, re-taking prereqs is not a favorable option. There are also special master's programs (more info in the FAQ section i think). And of course, finances matter! Would you have to work and take classes? I think HES are all night courses. This being said, you would need to spend time acquiring good ECs and doing whatever is necessary to make the rest of your application very strong.

There are several options. I would suggest talking to the pre-health/post-bac advisor at HES to get direction as well. Hope you are able to find a program that best fit your needs!

gardengirl said:
And of course, finances matter! Would you have to work and take classes? I think HES are all night courses. This being said, you would need to spend time acquiring good ECs and doing whatever is necessary to make the rest of your application very strong.

While I believe the HES courses are offered in the evening, I think its a rare person who can take a full slate of science courses and hold down a full time job. Certainly this would be bad advice for someone who is running a B- average in the sciences.

Law2Doc said:
While I believe the HES courses are offered in the evening, I think its a rare person who can take a full slate of science courses and hold down a full time job. Certainly this would be bad advice for someone who is running a B- average in the sciences.

I did not advise the OP to work full-time and take "a full slate of science courses..." but i guess that's how you read it. I have no idea if this person intends on holding down a job in order to pay for this education or if they are able to do so without having a job.

To OP: Sorry if you read it this way! My intention was to consider your financial situation which will also be a factor in deciding what type of program you pursue, how you pursue it, etc etc. Sorry Law2Doc's response seemed like it was sabotage.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide!