Your policy on multi dose steroid vials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emd123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yikes. Nasty outbreak of Mycobacterium Abscessus in steroids used for joint injections:

"...combination steriod/numbing agent” was produced within the syringe, the lawsuits said. Although after being used, the syringes were thrown away, the vials contained multiple doses and were used over and over and left near a sink that harbored deadly bacteria, the lawsuits allege. The vials’ tops were not sterilized after each use, the lawsuits allege...After an internal investigation in late December 2013, the clinic changed its procedures and instituted sterile procedures, keeping vials away from water sources and not using multi-use vials, according to the lawsuits. "

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/20...led-against-usc-medical.html?sp=/99/134/575//

What's your policy on using/not-using multi dose steroid vials? If you don't use multi dose vials, what is your go to, affordable, single dose steroid?

Members don't see this ad.

Preservative for everything. If accidental wet tap, procedure aborted at this level.
New needle and syringe for each draw.
Alcohol swab all vials before each draw.

Preservative for everything. If accidental wet tap, procedure aborted at this level.
New needle and syringe for each draw.
Alcohol swab all vials before each draw.
Preservatives = multidose. So you use them, and reuse, but use above procedure?

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont use mutlidose steroids' Not sure if its that much cheaper. I sleep better at night

I do use Mutlidose for local for the skin infiltration and contrast.

All vials are new everyday