Your thoughts on the tiger attack?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deadvet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two questions:

1. Do you think that there was human involvement (intentional or accidental) in the ability of this tiger to escape?

2. Was the action taken by police against the tiger warranted?

http://www.voanews.com/english/2007-12-26-voa65.cfm

Members don't see this ad.

1. Do you think that there was human involvement (intentional or accidental) in the ability of this tiger to escape?

Not sure. Hopefully they'll find out the facts about that.

You mean shooting her? Absolutely. With a tiger loose in the visitor's area, you don't have any other choice. At most zoos I'm familiar with, the zoo security personnel are instructed to do the same thing in that situation. Whenever we move a large cat out of it's exhibit, there's a security guy there with a rifle, just in case. He even follows the cat to our hospital and he brings his rifle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two questions:

I hope not, but I can't help but suspect it for now. I hope the facts will become available to us soon.

Yes, unfortunately (for the animal). I don't think they had any other choice given the situation/circumstances.

Two questions:

http://www.voanews.com/english/2007-12-26-voa65.cfm

1. Not sure... need proof either way.
2. If there was any other way possible.. than no.

I first saw this on the news and I thought how they presented the case was ridiculous... comparing the zoo to my home zoo... It was an isolated event and making people scared to go to the zoo and saying "yes we have 4 tigers just like that with similar exhibit" is just egging people on.... my opinion anyways. :/

Details that came out in paper today sure make me feel like there was human involvement. These details include:
1) presence of sticks and other foreign items in the moat - seems likely the tiger was being provoked.
2) foot prints on the fences and the top of the wall
3) the tiger followed the boys and cornered them - she must have really been angry.
4) the tiger didn;t like the moat and didn't spend time there by herself.

My thoughts: the boys (three teenagers...) were probably provoking the tiger, and accidentally helped her escape. The zoo director thought that perhaps they had been sitting on the wall, throwing things at her, and she used their legs as leverage to get out of the moat. She had attacked her keeper last year, so was probably somewhat easily provoked as it was. She escaped, killed one boy, and followed the others.

Statements n the NY Times suggest that the zookeeper somewhat blames the police force for deadly fire - they say that they had tranquilizer guns ready, but the police wouldn't use them. I can't say I blame them - with one already dead and the tiger standing over the other two, having mauled them, and with no idea how many other people were dead, it seems like opening fire was sadly inevitable.

It also sounds like there was an absolute lack of communication within the zoo. If the boys were taunting the tiger, even that close to closing time, was there really around to stop them? Why no security cameras? Why no better way to interface with the police - disaster preparedness?

Sounds like the retaining wall may not have been as high as recommended.

As for darting the tiger, that's insane. Under the best of circumstances it can take 5-10 minutes to immobilize a tiger. A tiger -- now pissed off because you just shot her with a dart -- could injure/kill a lot of people in that 5-10 minutes.

Now the reports say the wall is not as high as recommended. However, I've been to that zoo and the moat between the exhibit and the pedestrian viewing area is pretty darn wide. I'm still having a hard time visualizing a tiger leap over it, unless it is pumped full of adrenaline from rage, hunger, or whatever. We'll see what the investigation finds, I suppose.

As for shooting the tiger, absolutely. She was loose, in the process of attacking other visitors, and very dangerous. It sucks, but when an animal is hyped up like that they do not go down quickly or quietly with tranquilizers.

As for shooting the tiger, absolutely. She was loose, in the process of attacking other visitors, and very dangerous. It sucks, but when an animal is hyped up like that they do not go down quickly or quietly with tranquilizers.

I agree. I was surprised that the head of the zoo was even making noises about being angry about the use of bullets, not darts - that seems like such terrible publicity. Pretty obvious that whatever terrible circumstances led to the tiger's escape, there was no other way for the saga to end.

Well I'm having a hard time now. haha. If they had tranqs with them... that makes me angry...but I can see why they used guns... but I still have a hard time accepting the guns :(