Zeitgeist, curiosity, and emdr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Desensei

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed several threads in the psychology and psychiatry forums regarding EMDR, essentially lining-up as either skeptic or advocate-which truthfully is quite concerning, especially given some of the extreme, closed positions reflected.

As members of the medical and/or psychological sciences, we're all familiar with the spectre of "zeitgeist" and how innovations from every discipline have often met with stern resistance to changes in deeply entrenched belief systems (e.g., Copernicus, Darwin, Pasteur, etc.). I wrote about this in relation to EMDR in 2008 [see Russell,M. C. (2008). Scientific resistance toresearch, training and utilization of EMDR therapy in treating post-wardisorders. Social Science and Medicine, 67(11), 1737-1746].

Overzealous EMDR advocates, and the media, got far ahead of the science early on with mentioning of a single-session cure for PTSD, and understandably such claims were rebutted with calls for necessary scientific scrutiny. However, the question as to efficacy (Does EMDR work?) is no longer valid, with every major domestic and international scientific panel of PTSD experts speaking in one voice that it does.

The remaining question, that fuels the so-called controversy or debate on EMDR is the underlying theory, or mechanism of action (eye movements). And the evidence is inconclusive at this time. Any person saying otherwise, on either side of the fence, is engaging in selective bias.

So there is this wierd, EMDR therapy out there, and people have a reason to be skeptical, that something as simple-sounding as rapid, alternating eye movements or other sensory modality (audition, somatosensory), could possibly produce signficant therapeutic change equal to well-established behavioral and cognitive-behavioral therapies?

The easiest and most dangerous response to this query, is to lose our sense of curiosity and discovery. Folks, in the 21st century, we do not know how neurons encapsulate human experience in the form of the rich variety of memories that define our lives. We know that people can cognate or think, but cannot begin to prove how that occurs at the level of the neuron.

There are no empirically proven theories of human behavior-none! For instance, take systematic desensitization, a well-established exposure-based therapy put forth by Wolpe (1950s). There are multiple theories of mechanism of action (e.g., reciprocal inhibition, two-factor, corrective emotional experience, etc.)-none of these have or can be proven scientifically.

Don't believe me? If we cannot explain how a lumpy neuronal soma, with its dendritic branching, and gangly axonal features can encode, store, and retrieve memories of life experiences, than how do we explain what actually occurs within and between neurons during prolonged exposure or cognitive therapy that explains things like extinction? What answers you give, are all abstractions or theories, none of which are empirically proven as truths.

Our infantile understanding of the brain, human behavior, and therapeutic change, should give us all a dose of humility, and an openness to new ideas, even if they rival what some "authorities" tell us are truths. They really don't know either.

So when the global scientific community consensus is that EMDR is working, despite violating nearly every bedrock principle of exposure therapy, CBT, and talk therapy (e.g., negatively reinforcing client escape/avoidant behaviors of traumatic stimuli, not teaching/practicing coping skills, not utilizing cognitive restructuring or rational disputation, not requiring 40-60 hours of homework assignments, not teaching competitive, reciprocal response, not engaging in therapist interpretations, requiring minimal client disclosure and dialogue with therapist, etc.), rather than dismiss as "only" exposure, distraction etc., think of what you're saying.

If EMDR is as effective as exposure therapy, CBT etc., as the majority of the scientific community says it is, despite violating long held beliefs of therapeutic change, AND is using superfluous, meaningless, or inconsequential eye movements.....what does that say about these other psychotherapies and our models of human change?

The scientist, the human nature in us, begs for explanation and investigation, not outright dismissal, repeating some authoritative figure, or policy statement. The zeitgeist will always strive to discredit and stifle competition...it will be up to YOU, the next generation of scientist-practitioners or practitioner-scholars to become the future authorities. Do not let the current mainstream, popular views, in either extreme, keep you from searching for your own answers.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For the record,here is a list of scientific expert PTSD panels investigating whether EMDR is an evidence-based treatment:

Clinical PracticeGuidelines for PTSD: EMDR is NOT Evidence-Based

1. Institute of Medicine (2008). Treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder: An assessment of theevidence. National Academies Press:Washington, DC

Domestic PTSDClinical Practice Guidelines: EMDR IS Evidence-Based

1. American Psychiatric Association.(2004/2009).Practice Guideline for the Treatment ofPatient with Acute Stress Disorder and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Association Practice Guidelines

2. AmericanPsychological Association (Division 12). Chambless, D. L., Baker, M. J., Baucom, D.H.,Beutler, L. E., Calhoun, K. S., Crits-Christoph, P., Daiuto, A., DeRubeis, R.,Detweiler, J., Haaga, D.A.F., et al. (1998). Update of empirically validated therapies, II. The ClinicalPsychologist, 51, 3-16

3. VA/DoD (2004/2010).Clinical Practice Guideline for theManagement of Post-Traumatic Stress Washington,DC: Veterans Health Administration,Department of Veterans Affairs and Health Affairs, Department of Defense. Office of Quality and Performance publication10Q-CPG/PTSD-04

4. International Society for Traumatic StressStudies.Foa, E. B., Keane,T. M., Friedman, M. J., & Cohen, J.A. (2009). Effective treatments for PTSD: Practice Guidelines of theInternational Society for Traumatic Stress Studies. New York: Guilford Press

5.Substance Abuse and Mental Health ServicesAdministration (SAMHSA). (2010). Eyemovement desensitization and reprocessing. National Registry of Evidence-BasedPrograms and Practices, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

6.Therapy Advisor(2004-7). National Instituteof Mental Health –sponsored website listing empirically supported methods.http://www.therapyadvisor.com

International PTSDClinical Practice Guidelines:EMDR IS Evidence-Based

1. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. Bisson, J., & Andrew, M. (2007). Psychological treatment ofpost-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 3,Art. No.: CD003388. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD003388.pub3

2. National Council for Mental Health: Bleich, A., Kotler,M., Kutz, L., Shaley, A. (2002). National Council for Mental Health: Guideline for the assessment and professionalintervention with terror victims in the hospital and in the community. Jerusalem, Israel

3. CREST (2003). The management of post-traumatic stress disorderin adults. Clinical ResourceEfficiency Support Team, Northern Ireland, Department of Health, SocialServices, and Public Safety. Belfast, Ireland

4. Dutch National Steering CommitteeGuidelines Mental Health Care(2003). Multidisciplinary Guideline AnxietyDisorders. Quality Institute Health CareCBO/Trimbos Institute. Utrecht, Netherlands

5. INSERM (2004). Psychotherapy: An evaluation of three approaches. French National Institute of Health andMedical Research. Paris, France

6. National Institute for Clinical Excellence (2005). Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): The management of adults and children in primary and secondarycare. London: NICE Guidelines

7. Stockholm: Medical ProgramCommittee/Stockholm City Council. Sjöblom, P.O., Andréewitch, S. Bejerot, S., Mörtberg,E., Brinck, U., Ruck, C., & Körlin, D. (2003) Regional treatment recommendation foranxiety disorders. Stockholm: Medical Program Committee/StockholmCity Council

8. United Kingdom Department of Health (2001). Treatment choice in psychological therapiesand counseling evidence based clinical practice guideline. London, England

So when individual authorities speak or write on the subject of EMDR, and offer their paraphrasing or summary of the scientific literature regarding EMDR as "junk science," "pseudo-science." "snake oil" etc., try to keep a balanced perspective as there are always two-sides of a coin. Are they so much more expert than all of the MD/Ph.D., from the international communities above?

Extreme attacks, particularly when resorting to derisive, belittling commentary and so on, are usually reflective of individuals or institutions that feel threatened and wish to discredit the opposition (aka zeitgeist).

Conversely, maintain healthy skepticism toward EMDR, and be wary of extreme positions that overreach the data.

Importance of Theory. Theories help us organize, understand, and use information, but they are always abstractions-not facts or universal truths. No therapeutic mechanism of action for any psychotherapy or psychopharmaceutical have been empirically proven. Until we understand the neurobiological mechanisms of action for memory, cognition, learning, etc., we cannot presume to know how and why therapies work. But does that mean we do not conduct the research, or that we discard interventions that have been identified as "evidence-based?"

Those who speak in absolute, certain terms in regards to models of psychopathology and human change processes, are blinded by their arrogance, the zeitgeist, and/or their personal insecurity to accept humility in the face of our ambiguous reality that there is alot more we don't know than what we do.

Last edited:
I really don't know that this needed its own thread rather than being included in the EMDR thread.

That being said, I don't know that anyone on the board is spontaneously dismissing EMDR outright. They're simply questioning some of the research with respect to the eye movements and mechanisms of change (which, even if we don't know them, are the types of things we should be questioning as social and behavioral scientists). And while I haven't experienced this personally, as I don't know anyone practicing EMDR, they have some qualms about the fervent devotion the treatment is showed by some of its proponents (which isn't helped by half a dozen new posters suddenly registering and all posting about EMDR).

Skepticism is a good thing, as you've said. And if EMDR holds up to that skepticism, it likely will eventually help us better understand how our mind does what it does.

Members don't see this ad :)
If EMDR is as effective as exposure therapy, CBT etc., as the majority of the scientific community says it is.....what does that say about these other psychotherapies and our models of human change?

I was wondering this exact thing after reading the other thread on EMDR. I am still quite a lightweight in psychological research in general. However, I too have wondered how previous studies of CBT and other EBTs have discerned that the techniques used are the only/best way to produce the desired psychological processes for change. If the techniques can be changed and a similar effect is produced then are the techniques really responsible for psychological change?

In my master's program we were always taught that the "therapeutic relationship" was the best predictor of success for the client though we were never given research to support that (but it was hinted at). If it were true then in this context maybe it points to the possible interchangeability of psychological techniques, or at least our lack of understanding for a truly effective method and what underlying psychological processes are occurring.

*disclaimer- I enjoy these types of discussion and I do not mean to insult the field of psychology in any way. As with most other people who enjoy this forum I simply like to ask the question "How do we know?"

I was wondering this exact thing after reading the other thread on EMDR. I am still quite a lightweight in psychological research in general. However, I too have wondered how previous studies of CBT and other EBTs have discerned that the techniques used are the only/best way to produce the desired psychological processes for change. If the techniques can be changed and a similar effect is produced then are the techniques really responsible for psychological change?

In my master's program we were always taught that the "therapeutic relationship" was the best predictor of success for the client though we were never given research to support that (but it was hinted at). If it were true then in this context maybe it points to the possible interchangeability of psychological techniques, or at least our lack of understanding for a truly effective method and what underlying psychological processes are occurring.

*disclaimer- I enjoy these types of discussion and I do not mean to insult the field of psychology in any way. As with most other people who enjoy this forum I simply like to ask the question "How do we know?"

Research does generally support that establishing rapport and a solid therapeutic relationship is an important component of facilitating change, yep. However, in comparing CBT with "treatment as usual," for example, you can in some ways show that a therapeutic relationship in and of itself may not be sufficient. That is, something about the CBT methodology leads to better outcomes than just meeting with someone once a week and providing "supportive therapy."

Beyond that, I don't know that CBT and its associated theories and practices has ever claimed to have a corner on the change facilitation market. It's just pushed as one form of evidence-based practice that leads to results, and is supported by a theory that has thus far generally withstood scientific scrutiny. But the difficulties "pure" CBT faces with certain conditions (e.g., personality disorders), and the fact that it doesn't work with everyone, suggests that it's obviously not a perfect cure-all treatment.

Research does generally support that establishing rapport and a solid therapeutic relationship is an important component of facilitating change, yep. However, in comparing CBT with "treatment as usual," for example, you can in some ways show that a therapeutic relationship in and of itself may not be sufficient. That is, something about the CBT methodology leads to better outcomes than just meeting with someone once a week and providing "supportive therapy."

Beyond that, I don't know that CBT and its associated theories and practices has ever claimed to have a corner on the change facilitation market. It's just pushed as one form of evidence-based practice that leads to results, and is supported by a theory that has thus far generally withstood scientific scrutiny. But the difficulties "pure" CBT faces with certain conditions (e.g., personality disorders), and the fact that it doesn't work with everyone, suggests that it's obviously not a perfect cure-all treatment.

True. I seemed to have fallen into a state of black-white thinking without considering all the gray.