Zostavax

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

farmadiazepine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody here working in an independent pharmacy has decided to do Zostavax shots? How much do you buy Zostavax for? And what are you getting reimbursed? I want to do these shots, however it seems more like a hassle than a benefit. It costs us $183 to buy a Zostavax shot, and we have to buy minimum 3 of them. Almost all insurances are reimbursing us $187. This is a profit of $4. Also, it is time consuming. Is it worth it to push this vaccine from a money stand point?

I thought doing immunizations would be lucrative, but it doesn't look like it really is. We are making a $4 to $6 profit on flu shots. I would have to vaccinate 100 people to make $500. We are making $4 profit on Zostavax. Is it worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

How about setting up flu clinic like wag-money does? You should target should nursing homes. And I am curious. How much do you charge for zostavax?

Anybody here working in an independent pharmacy has decided to do Zostavax shots? How much do you buy Zostavax for? And what are you getting reimbursed? I want to do these shots, however it seems more like a hassle than a benefit. It costs us $183 to buy a Zostavax shot, and we have to buy minimum 3 of them. Almost all insurances are reimbursing us $187. This is a profit of $4. Also, it is time consuming. Is it worth it to push this vaccine from a money stand point?

I thought doing immunizations would be lucrative, but it doesn't look like it really is. We are making a $4 to $6 profit on flu shots. I would have to vaccinate 100 people to make $500. We are making $4 profit on Zostavax. Is it worth it?

There is absolutely no profit up front for doing this. In fact, you're losing quite a bit if you don't have a student intern administering the vaccination. The point of doing these is to get new patients which will give you profit down the road.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the $187 include the medication administration fee? I would hope not because there's the profit in immunizations.

How about don't give them at all. Explain to patients that Zostavax per package insert is only 51% effective for 3.1 years. Let's be professionals again instead of salesman. Give the patients the info and let them make the decision.

How about don't give them at all. Explain to patients that Zostavax per package insert is only 51% effective for 3.1 years. Let's be professionals again instead of salesman. Give the patients the info and let them make the decision.
How do you intend to "let them make the decision" if you "don't give them at all". Sounds like you made the decision for them.

Does the $187 include the medication administration fee? I would hope not because there's the profit in immunizations.

this man is correct, 187 is reimbursement of vaccine with no admin fee included. we make sure we are paid at a minimum 200, up to the cash price of 225

this man is correct, 187 is reimbursement of vaccine with no admin fee included. we make sure we are paid at a minimum 200, up to the cash price of 225

HouTX, thanks for the information. No, I am not billing for the administration fee. Is that what the problem is? That's something I have to figure out with my software. How do I bill out for an administration fee? How much do I bill out?

Last edited:

What kind of profits do you typically see with your vaccines. A flu shot, pneumonia shot, and Zostavax?

Wait so if 1/3 people get shingles and zostavax is only 51% effective, wouldn't that mean zostavax causes more people to get shingles? Or does it mean now 1/6 people get shingles?
What?

It means if you get the vaccine your risk of getting shingles goes down by 50%.

Reactions: 1 user
Wait so if 1/3 people get shingles and zostavax is only 51% effective, wouldn't that mean zostavax causes more people to get shingles? Or does it mean now 1/6 people get shingles?

It means, if insurance is paying for your Zostavax vaccine, its unquestionably a good deal in most situations. If insurance isn't paying, and you have to cough up the $220 yourself....then you might start weighing shingles risks vs the cost of the vaccine.

I think the profit in most pharmacy's immunization program is from the medical administration fee of about $20. This assumes you don't have to pay for an extra pharmacist's time to administer it.

The story with Zostavax is in the product package insert. Elderly people's immune system don't react to the vaccine often and this increases as they age. Vaccine efficacy is 64% for age 60-69 and is as low as 18% in age 80+. So far far less effective than say flu shots.

I know several pharmacist used to object to this when few insurance companies would pay for it. But if your patient has it 100% covered then why not administer it? You could prevent someone from getting an excruciating painful case of shingles.

There isn't any long term data either. There isn't data yet on whether people who got vaccinated still have immunity after 5 years which is the window where patients have the 50% reduced risk.

The zostavax long term effectiveness study doesn't even end until 2023 :laugh: Guess we will find out then when people will need a booster. They have the patients in 3 different age groups at time of vaccination so hopefully it will be useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think the profit in most pharmacy's immunization program is from the medical administration fee of about $20. This assumes you don't have to pay for an extra pharmacist's time to administer it.

The story with Zostavax is in the product package insert. Elderly people's immune system don't react to the vaccine often and this increases as they age. Vaccine efficacy is 64% for age 60-69 and is as low as 18% in age 80+. So far far less effective than say flu shots.

I know several pharmacist used to object to this when few insurance companies would pay for it. But if your patient has it 100% covered then why not administer it? You could prevent someone from getting an excruciating painful case of shingles.

I believe the profit for most immunizations is 20 dollars. I am not sure what insurances are reimbursing in other states as I have never administered it in an independent setting, and I am sure reimbursements have changed the last year or so.

For the Zostavax vaccine, there are a few things to keep in mind.

It can be extremely profitable if people fork out the money for it or if you get good reimbursements. I heard the pain with shingles is crazy (like going into labor). Most people who saw their friends or family get it is willing to pay cash for it if their insurance does not cover it. At 220 dollars, that is 35 dollars profit. It is like filling a bottle of Atripla or Procrit which can cost thousands....

I heard that it is not covered under Medicare Part B anymore so doctors are sending people looking for the vaccine to pharmacies because it is covered under Part D. If you can be a guarantee source (as it needs a freezer to store which most pharmacies do not have) of new customers.

I also heard that if the vaccine is expired, you can return it for almost full credit... (I think 80 percent). There is a process that I forgot, but its something like waiting for it to be expired after a few months, and then returning it directly to Merck. I would talk to your local Merck drug rep about that.

While the efficacy is low as age progresses...., a thing to keep in mind is that the symptoms with the shingles is not as bad as someone without. There is not enough data on how much of a difference, or to what level but I would keep that on the back of my head.

Lastly, I concur with what Monsterdaddy is saying... but a reminder that the pharmacist is a FIXED cost. The cost that you just have to pay for is the freezer, the rent on the space for the freezer if your pharmacy has limited amount of space, and electricity for the freezer. it sucks because I don't know of any other drugs that requires sub zero freezing. I am guessing you would need to at least give out one shot a month to make it worth your while.

Last edited:
Just an update, I am successfully able to bill out for vaccines at my retail independent pharmacy. I wasn't billing for the vaccine administration (like an idiot), and I was wondering why we were just making $3-4 dollars on top of whatever our cost was. Once I billed for administration of vaccine, Zostavax we are profiting around $15-$25 per shot, and flu shots we will profit $15-$20 per shot. Anyone whose insurance does not pay for vaccine administration, we wlll charge them a fee for administration of the vaccine. I really appreciate the help from this board!

We have a doctor who relies on their practice providing flu shots and pneumonia shots. However, they don't do Zostavax shots. I am banking on our doctor to recommend Medicare Part D patients directly to us for Zostavax administration. I think its a great idea!

Reactions: 2 users