Just curious

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmallTownGuy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I have a qeustion just out of curiosity. Do anesthesiologist have to work at night shifts in private practice? I was wondering about this, because I was wondering who would do anethesia for the trauma surgeries and such.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

SmallTownGuy said:
Hey everyone!

I have a qeustion just out of curiosity. Do anesthesiologist have to work at night shifts in private practice? I was wondering about this, because I was wondering who would do anethesia for the trauma surgeries and such.

Thanks

Yes, of course they do. Why would you think they wouldn't?

jwk said:
Yes, of course they do. Why would you think they wouldn't?
I actually thought that they would have to. I was just wondering because I never hear mention of the obligation to do night shifts on this forum. Also, a med student I was talking to mentioned that she likes anesthesiology better than EM because she could just do days if she wanted, I guess maybe she was talking about smaller hospitals that don't do surgery at night. I just was wondering if there was something I was missing here. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, it varies by practice. I am about to join a practice that has absolutely NO night shifts whatsoever. Some groups want to cover trauma and OB at night, others want nothing to do with them. Those groups that have exclusive rights to a hospital are the ones that have to cover night call for the most part.

A fair portion of hospitals reimburse groups for taking overnight call for trauma as they know those cases tend to give you no reimbursement.

Its important to know that in anesthesia "private practice" doesnt always mean office based. Many hospitals contract an independant group practice to provide anesthesia, so even though thats technically a private practice you are still expected to provide night, holiday, and emergency coverage. You can however work in a surgicenter or in an endoscopy center and work an easy 9-5 job. Like anywhere else, the more you work the more you'll make. I am in a university program and attendings make $1000 per 12 hour (not even 24 hour) call. A group of only 7 or 8 of them take calls and on average they can take home an extra $5000 a month from those calls.

So in summary, yes you can get a job with no calls but you'll be able to afford a much nicer car if you do.

hi. is that in house call or from home?

whats the ha ha for?

Are MDA still commonly working in centers for same-day surgeries or colonoscopies, etc, or have CRNAs taken over this for the most part? Forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question, I am just curious.

What are the advantages to obtaining a partnership? I understand it translates to more money but why is this exactly?

Your first 1-3 years with a group is in essence a "tryout" with the group wherein you are paid as an employee and do not enjoy the full benefits of being a group member. Once you make partner, you get the full dough and a better vacation schedule choice.

Med4ever said:
What are the advantages to obtaining a partnership? I understand it translates to more money but why is this exactly?

A partner is an owner, not an employee. Whatever is left at the end of the year that hasn't gone to overhead, belongs to the partners. Of course the downside is you share some of the risks as well, which if you have a poorly managed partnership, can be a big problem.

UTSouthwestern said:
Your first 1-3 years with a group is in essence a "tryout" with the group wherein you are paid as an employee and do not enjoy the full benefits of being a group member. Once you make partner, you get the full dough and a better vacation schedule choice.

Just more money and better vacation choices are the advantages of partnership? I mean anesthesiologist still start at like 250 000. So you would have to wait till partnership to make like 300 000? I have seen job offers that start at 300 000. What exactly I am missing here?