Is age important

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

determined1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm a 30yr. old freshman with aspirations of becoming a dentist. I was wondering if someone could answer my questions.

Is age a determining factor when applying for dental school?

What is the average age of dental students?

Is there a fair share of students above the average age
attending dental school?

If so, how well are they adjusting to there younger classmates?

Thank You :)

Members don't see this ad.

Nova accepted a student that I know is above 50 so being 30 is nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 31 and starting D-School in August.

I started when I was 31. I have a buddy in school who is 35 and we have one woman who is supposedly 48. You have quite a few years before you are too old. Good luck

I started the D1 year at 34 years old. We have a woman in our class who was 40 at the start of the year. I believe the average age of our class at the start was 26/27 years old. I tend to hang around the students that are approaching 30...they are the only ones I can tolerate...the 22 yr olds make me contemplate 1st degree murder...rather immature.
You will be fine...there will be others your age.
hona

hona said:
I started the D1 year at 34 years old. We have a woman in our class who was 40 at the start of the year. I believe the average age of our class at the start was 26/27 years old. I tend to hang around the students that are approaching 30...they are the only ones I can tolerate...the 22 yr olds make me contemplate 1st degree murder...rather immature.
You will be fine...there will be others your age.
hona

I understand where you are coming from. :D

We have plenty of people older than you in our class. I wouldn't be worried. Average age is around 27 now.

I was one of the youngins at 22, and I felt weird sometimes being so young :) It goes both ways.

Thank You everyone for your input and support. GOOD LUCK :)

determined1 said:
Hello everyone, I'm a 30yr. old freshman with aspirations of becoming a dentist.

Freshman in college?

OR

Freshman in dental?

determined1 said:
Freshman in college not dental school.
So hopefully, you'll start dental school when you're 34? If you want it, I say, go for it. Based on this timeline, you'll be 38 when you finish dental school (8 years from now). There is plenty of time to work and making a good living. Good luck and keep us updated from time to time about your journey. A lot of great resources here on SDN for very phase and step to your education.

It will be a long road for you, but it's a bright one if things are done correctly.

Yah-E said:
So hopefully, you'll start dental school when you're 34? If you want it, I say, go for it. Based on this timeline, you'll be 38 when you finish dental school (8 years from now). There is plenty of time to work and making a good living. Good luck and keep us updated from time to time about your journey. A lot of great resources here on SDN for very phase and step to your education.

It will be a long road for you, but it's a bright one if things are done correctly.
Thank you for the encouragement. :) I know that it's a long road for me but i feel like this is the right time to start. I feel like i'm more focused than ever.I can honestly say that my life experiences has allowed me to really get in touch with myself and from that comes wisdom and maturity. I'll make sure that i post my trails, tribulations and accomplishments on this site.