Official 2019-2020 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

21Rush12

19h 58m 21.67595s; +35° 12′ 05.7783″
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all — starting this because there’s not one, unless of course there is already in which case ignore me.

I hope we can have a good discussion and help each other out through the cycle, god knows it will be a long 8 months to match day.

M4 here applying Anesthesia this cycle (how crazy is that, time flies!), aiming for the top and seeing where I land.

Edit to add:
USMD, Step 1 250s, waiting on CS and haven’t done CK yet.

Preclinical grades p/hp, clinical all H.

Lots of posters and no publications yet.

Hoping for west coast but just want the best training I can get. Aiming for top 20 depending on CK.

Edit: PM me for discord link!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
M4 applying Anesthesia. US-IMG from Australia with a greencard.
Step 1 232, Step 2CK 250, CS first attempt pass
2x 1st author papers
DPT before i did medicine.

I have 3 aways in anesthetics coming up (harvard, vegas, mayo) but only harvard and vegas are before sept 15th.
So hopefully i'll get two good LORs, and then i have two letters from Aus in ICU and Anesthetics.

Good luck to everyone!!! Hope to meet you all at some point.

Reactions: 1 users
You might get more responses in the Anesthesia subforum.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's an exciting time for all of you. I remember mine like it was yesterday. Best of luck to all of you.

You should open a Google doc/sheet for the current, or recent past residents to comment on certain programs, anonymously. Use objective measures like experience in subspecialities: Peds, OB, Neuro, CT, Pain. Average hours worked. Average ITE percentiles. Political environment.

I know many posters will be happy to chime in anonymously and the info obatined this way is much better than "put on our best face on interview day" info.

Tip: specifically ask the program on their Pain and CT match rate (people applied vs people that got spots) into fellowship.

It really tells A LOT about the program and cuts through their interview day fluff.

Also refer to this thread for last year's questions, things don't change that fast and it's usually somewhat up to date.

Further down the road in Feb and it's rank list time, you can often search the specific programs and there usually is a thread/post about the residency. Remember negative bias about posts and take everything with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 3 users
It's an exciting time for all of you. I remember mine like it was yesterday. Best of luck to all of you.

You should open a Google doc/sheet for the current, or recent past residents to comment on certain programs, anonymously. Use objective measures like experience in subspecialities: Peds, OB, Neuro, CT, Pain. Average hours worked. Average ITE percentiles. Political environment.

I know many posters will be happy to chime in anonymously and the info obatined this way is much better than "put on our best face on interview day" info.

Tip: specifically ask the program on their Pain and CT match rate (people applied vs people that got spots) into fellowship.

It really tells A LOT about the program and cuts through their interview day fluff.

Also refer to this thread for last year's questions, things don't change that fast and it's usually somewhat up to date.

Further down the road in Feb and it's rank list time, you can often search the specific programs and there usually is a thread/post about the residency. Remember negative bias about posts and take everything with a grain of salt.

Thank you so much for this helpful advice — I’m not a reddit user but isn’t there usually a spreadsheet floating around there?

Good luck to all of you.

As someone who went through the match a couple of years ago and interviewed at quite a few places (from academic ivory towers to middle-of-nowhere programs), I'm happy to help with general advice/tips.

I'll echo what dchz said. Knowing the match rates for competitive fellowships (cardiac and pain) is important.

Another question that I think is important to ask: based on my interview experience, many big-name academic centers didn't seem to have the best regional training for residents, and the situation probably won't get any better as regional fellowships become widespread. So ask about average # of blocks residents get, # of months of regional experience, etc.

Last edited:
I’m not a reddit user but isn’t there usually a spreadsheet floating around there?

Not in anesthesia but general advice for residency app season would be:
-are the residents happy? #1 thing. Sounds ridiculous until you interview somewhere where they clearly aren't
-do you mesh with faculty?
-what's the schedule like? do you have time to explore career paths early? How does this fit with your career plan? How secure is your elective time? (e.g. will you lose some of it for vacation, jeopardy, etc)
-location, location, location, as well as cost of living in said location
-what are hours like? What's call/nights like? I doubt anesthesia has 24+4 shifts (except maybe in ICU), but in some fields those can be a weekly thing for some programs and never for others.

etc

Hi!

Just finished residency in another field this year but will be applying to anesthesia this cycle. Going through this process all over again .

Some background:
USMD + another advanced degree, Steps 1, 2CK and 3 >250’s, good preclinical grades, clinical all honors, AOA, GHHS.

Lots of posters and at least 7 publications (none in anesthesia though).

Looking forward to seeing you guys in the trail! Best of luck to everyone!!!

Last edited:
Good luck all youngins, last yrs match was rough. Remember to rank all your ivs. You’re not too good for any program .... unless you are already rich.... ( i matched at my 8th choice out of my 12 ranks) despite positive feedback from program directors and residents at my top three choices

Reactions: 4 users
Good luck all youngins, last yrs match was rough. Remember to rank all your ivs. You’re not too good for any program .... unless you are already rich.... ( i matched at my 8th choice out of my 12 ranks) despite positive feedback from program directors and residents at my top three choices
Oh good, more fuel for my neuroses

Did you do any aways?

Oh good, more fuel for my neuroses

Did you do any aways?

I don’t mean to make anyone nervous . Just the nature of the game . I did one 1 away specifically in anesthesia 3 Er aways where I got ivs for both but only attended 1 er away Iv but attended the gas Iv that was given to me from those institutions . I say 1-2 at most if you are a do, if you are usmd I don’t think you need it. On that note , APPLY to PRE LIMs and TYs early , like in September

DO student here.
Step 1 : 241, COMLEX level 1: 647
Step CK : pending : COMLEX level 2: pending

2 posters, some volunteering 3rd year, good letters, have one away scheduled. Looking forward to this application cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO student here.
Step 1 : 241, COMLEX level 1: 647
Step CK : pending : COMLEX level 2: pending

2 posters, some volunteering 3rd year, good letters, have one away scheduled. Looking forward to this application cycle.
when are you doing your away rotation?

Doing it in August. Hopefully I can get a letter from this academic institution but worse case scenario I will just apply with the letter I have from my preceptor who is private practice anesthesiologist.

Speaking of letters: is it weird to do aways and not get letters?

I have aways and my advisor said there’s no point trying to get a letter from a 3/4 week elective when you won’t see the same person for a long period. I’m planning on using my home anes letter and another from a fellowship trained anesthesiologist, with my third coming from medicine and fourth from surgery (or one of these aways if that’s actually better).

Any insight or opinions?

Speaking of letters: is it weird to do aways and not get letters?

Not weird, like your advisor said it makes more sense to have letters from people at your home institution who you can have a longer-term relationship with write your letters. It's more important to get strong letters from people that know you well from working with them in a clinical setting. Those letters will outweigh a vague form letter from someone who you only interacted with briefly, even if that person is prestigious in the field.

Not weird, like your advisor said it makes more sense to have letters from people at your home institution who you can have a longer-term relationship with write your letters. It's more important to get strong letters from people that know you well from working with them in a clinical setting. Those letters will outweigh a vague form letter from someone who you only interacted with briefly, even if that person is prestigious in the field.

Thank you for that — it makes sense and I agree, I just wanted to make sure I’m not making a big mistake/creating a “red flag” having aways with no letter.

This all seems too recent to me. FWIW, I only had 4 interviews and matched. Scores were upper 21x/upper 22x/pass. No real red flags although my app may have come across as generic I guess.. Regardless, keep this in mind: your interviews will be completely random. Apply everywhere.. learned that the hard way. Don’t expect an interview from a program unless it’s your home program. Crazy **** happens all the time. The program I matched to was a program I never even realized I applied to until I got the interview. Fortunately, in retrospect, it’s the best program for me (100% pain match). Good luck and feel free to PM for any questions! (Might be a bit though. Intern year...)

Will be more than fine with one away. Not that it matters, but what happened to the rest? Full? where did you apply?

I remember back in my day when programs were starving to give out aways and never filled in a given a month. Why so many students are vying to rotate all over the place is asinine to me. Rotating at your home MD program and focusing your efforts on that strong singular letter is key.

Most of the people I know who are rotating away for Anesthesiology are doing so for regional or audition purposes. I’m going as much to experience the programs as I am to show interest in the region. If I wanted to stay in NY/Northeast I would not do any and save a ton of money.

Hey everyone,

I am looking forward to this Fall. It's getting close and I'm getting nervous, ha. I have 3 aways, but they are kind of late in the season. 1 in SoCal and 2 in Arizona.

step 1: 238
step 2: 243
Comlex 1: 650+
Comlex 2: 650+

(Do programs even care about COMLEX anymore?????)

I don't have a home program but have 2 letters from chiefs here. 7 posters, and 1 non peer reviewed publication. I'm also worried about not having a home program or time to get letters from auditions, but we are all going to try our best and hope for the best! Hopefully I meet some of you all along the way!

I tried sending you a PM but looks like they’re turned off — I’ll be in SoCal also, send me a message!

Will be more than fine with one away. Not that it matters, but what happened to the rest? Full? where did you apply?

I remember back in my day when programs were starving to give out aways and never filled in a given a month. Why so many students are vying to rotate all over the place is asinine to me. Rotating at your home MD program and focusing your efforts on that strong singular letter is key.

Originally wanted to do internal med so I had all those rotations lined up but I switched last minute and August was the best I could get. I'm hoping one is enough. I applied to a bunch but they either were too full or they haven't got back to me. I'm still waiting to hear back from a few but the one in August is in Texas.

I can only speak from the US-IMG perspective.
But i'm apply with 2 from Australia - which are people that know me well
Then 2 anesthetics ones from the USA - which are to show that i have USCE

I think for IMGs LOR from university programs in the US are important.

hey guys, back for round 2. didnt match last year unfortunately. we should get another discord going once the season gets going, last year's was a lot of fun

Sorry to hear. Why do you think you didn't match?
Last year sucked, I have some theories but nothing concrete.
Also make sure the discord link expires or it's gonna fill up with trolls like the Google Sheet turns into. It should be by request only

Last year sucked, I have some theories but nothing concrete.
Also make sure the discord link expires or it's gonna fill up with trolls like the Google Sheet turns into. It should be by request only

I have it set to expire, just wanted to give the few of us here the chance to join.

Good luck to all! There are some people with great experience and advice on this forum. Many of us also served on resident selection committees.

And for the lord’s sake please don’t refer to the specialty as “gas” - for some reason this is seen more with DO applicants and no one that’s actually in the field calls it that.

Reactions: 10 users
M4 applying Anesthesia. US-IMG from Australia with a greencard.
Step 1 232, Step 2CK 250, CS first attempt pass
2x 1st author papers
DPT before i did medicine.

I have 3 aways in anesthetics coming up (harvard, vegas, mayo) but only harvard and vegas are before sept 15th.
So hopefully i'll get two good LORs, and then i have two letters from Aus in ICU and Anesthetics.

Good luck to everyone!!! Hope to meet you all at some point.

Just wanna say hi :) Canadian here studying in Australia. I have the exact same scores as you haha but I don't have green card or pubs :(

3 months USCE with 2x anaesthesiology (US attendings) letters and 2x IM (both US attending) letter. I also have a letter from an Australia anaesthesiologist whom I've worked with for the past year. I wonder if I should use Australian letter to replace an US IM letter?

Question for the group:

How is anyone figuring out how many programs to apply to? I have a list of 35 and I have no idea what normal is.

I'm looking at the AAMC diminishing returns graph and just doing the number that correlates with my step one and then adding half of that number to my total number of apps. So if they recommend I apply to 40 I will apply to 60. But I'm a DO so it might be different for you.

Question for the group:

How is anyone figuring out how many programs to apply to? I have a list of 35 and I have no idea what normal is.

I'm looking at the AAMC diminishing returns graph and just doing the number that correlates with my step one and then adding half of that number to my total number of apps. So if they recommend I apply to 40 I will apply to 60. But I'm a DO so it might be different for you.

That definitely sounds like a reasonable plan — do you have a link?

It’s broken into thirds based on number of applicants. That is where the step cutoff fell. It’s different for each specialty for diminishing returns.

It’s broken into thirds based on number of applicants. That is where the step cutoff fell. It’s different for each specialty for diminishing returns.

Oh cool, I didn’t try any other specialties so I didn’t realize. Seems like 20-30 is the range to select, if we are taking the number and adding a handful.

Is it me or is it frustrating to try and gauge how actually competitive programs are or how you stack up? That FREIDA thing feels very incomplete, I don’t leave it knowing any more about my likelihood for interview. It would be great if all the programs filled it out/if step scores were better described (i.e. it’s useless to hear that the step 2 score is >245, average is 244).

Oh cool, I didn’t try any other specialties so I didn’t realize. Seems like 20-30 is the range to select, if we are taking the number and adding a handful.

I will say to be careful with the break even point. The data in that chart is a few years old, and the past couple of years (last year especially) saw big increases in the number of applications each program received. The result was that last year many people received fewer interviews than predicted. Even strong applicants. Every interview I went on, the program made it clear that they were overwhelmed. One small program I went to had 20% more applications than the year before. They said they were still expanding their recruitment committee.

I don’t say all this to scare anyone, just to make clear that I had buddies who followed the “new data to consider” charts and kind of regretted it. Especially if you have below average scores I would not take the chance. A couple hundred more bucks sucks, but having any problems matching sucks infotech more.

Just my thoughts as a PGY1. Hopefully wiser people can chime in.

I will say to be careful with the break even point. The data in that chart is a few years old, and the past couple of years (last year especially) saw big increases in the number of applications each program received. The result was that last year many people received fewer interviews than predicted. Even strong applicants. Every interview I went on, the program made it clear that they were overwhelmed. One small program I went to had 20% more applications than the year before. They said they were still expanding their recruitment committee.

I don’t say all this to scare anyone, just to make clear that I had buddies who followed the “new data to consider” charts and kind of regretted it. Especially if you have below average scores I would not take the chance. A couple hundred more bucks sucks, but having any problems matching sucks infotech more.

Thank you, I really appreciate the perspective especially since you just lived through it and things seemed to shift a bit last year.

Back to shrugging my shoulders and picking a million programs!

From my perspective, the sharp increase in applications is mostly due to people increasing the number of programs they apply to more so than the total increase in applicants, which is likely modest.
The problem with that is that the lower half of candidates who used to get lots of invites are being overlooked in favor of the more competitive candidates who are applying broadly and cancelling late or actually interviewing at more programs than they realistically need to. Those candidates now are getting late invites which are tougher to schedule around because there is little lead time. It is hurtful to the programs because it has increased the cancellation rates, some of them with a week or less notice, leaving a higher number of unfilled interview spots due to the difficulty in getting people scheduled on such short notice. It hurts the candidates because the top half candidates take and hold all of the interview slots and only release them after they have made sure they have enough interviews at the places that they desire more.
The NRMP tried to discourage this by steepening the cost for applying more broadly, but that generally has not worked. Everybody is in debt up to their eyeballs, so they figure "why not add a bit more?"
It is a tough situation for sure. Back in the day of the paper application where each program required a separate and different application, it was hard to find the time and motivation to type (on a typewriter) each application for each program. In addition, each program required your letter writers to send out letters mailed by snail mail. It was far more labor intensive than writing a single letter and having it uploaded to a server and being completely done. Most back then applied to 10-15 programs. Then came the universal application, which many adopted, simplifying the process and making it much easier to apply to 20-30 or more programs. Then came ERAS, and with the click of a mouse, you can add every program that exists for just a bit more money. Now everyone applies to 40 and some apply to every program, because, "Why not?"
If there was a way to put the Genie back in the bottle and have people only apply to programs that they are really interested in, that would make the process much easier. However, each Dean's office is instructing their students to apply broadly to far more than they really believe they will need to match successfully. Because how do Dean's offices get graded? By their students' success in the match. Students who don't match create huge problems for themselves ($$$) and the school because it looks bad for the school and is very labor intensive to assist them in finding a spot, and many still do not. Then they go back into the mix the next year to compete against people who don't have that mark against them of not matching successfully. Many of those fail to match yet again. It is a very high stakes process that works way better if you are successful the first time. Those who aren't end up without any way to practice medicine in order to earn money and pay back their steep med school loans, which are now coming due because they are not continuing their training.
It used to be that everyone who wanted a residency could get one, maybe not in their first choice of location or specialty, but they could get something. That is no longer always the case. It is a tougher road than it used to be and I empathize with those who are going through the process. Best of luck to all of you.

Reactions: 4 users
@Gern Blansten that certainly makes sense to me. I suppose if I was in the top tier that’s what I would do also since there’s 0 certainty. I wonder if more transparency would help applicants choose programs more wisely?

I agree with the above. I think Anesthesiology had like 240 more applicants this past year compared to 2018. It had one of the biggest jumps in applicants among all the specialties. Think there were 10-15 total open spots in SOAP after the match which is a large decrease from years prior, and most of these programs were brand new. Not trying to scare anyone, Anesthesiology isn’t suddenly Derm, but it definitely has gotten a lot more competitive over the last two years.

Another thing to consider with the ERAS data with match rates is it’s just matching period. So while the match rate may be 90% or so for the low step score ranges, you have to remember that it’s matching, not taking into account the program location or caliber. I remember thinking “oh I have good enough scores, I’ll match” and not considering that matching at a good program and in a good location is another tier of competition in itself.

I ended up matching at a university program on the N.E. in a big city, very happy where I am and good luck to you all this cycle!

From my perspective, the sharp increase in applications is mostly due to people increasing the number of programs they apply to more so than the total increase in applicants, which is likely modest.
The problem with that is that the lower half of candidates who used to get lots of invites are being overlooked in favor of the more competitive candidates who are applying broadly and cancelling late or actually interviewing at more programs than they realistically need to. Those candidates now are getting late invites which are tougher to schedule around because there is little lead time. It is hurtful to the programs because it has increased the cancellation rates, some of them with a week or less notice, leaving a higher number of unfilled interview spots due to the difficulty in getting people scheduled on such short notice. It hurts the candidates because the top half candidates take and hold all of the interview slots and only release them after they have made sure they have enough interviews at the places that they desire more.
The NRMP tried to discourage this by steepening the cost for applying more broadly, but that generally has not worked. Everybody is in debt up to their eyeballs, so they figure "why not add a bit more?"
It is a tough situation for sure. Back in the day of the paper application where each program required a separate and different application, it was hard to find the time and motivation to type (on a typewriter) each application for each program. In addition, each program required your letter writers to send out letters mailed by snail mail. It was far more labor intensive than writing a single letter and having it uploaded to a server and being completely done. Most back then applied to 10-15 programs. Then came the universal application, which many adopted, simplifying the process and making it much easier to apply to 20-30 or more programs. Then came ERAS, and with the click of a mouse, you can add every program that exists for just a bit more money. Now everyone applies to 40 and some apply to every program, because, "Why not?"
If there was a way to put the Genie back in the bottle and have people only apply to programs that they are really interested in, that would make the process much easier. However, each Dean's office is instructing their students to apply broadly to far more than they really believe they will need to match successfully. Because how do Dean's offices get graded? By their students' success in the match. Students who don't match create huge problems for themselves ($$$) and the school because it looks bad for the school and is very labor intensive to assist them in finding a spot, and many still do not. Then they go back into the mix the next year to compete against people who don't have that mark against them of not matching successfully. Many of those fail to match yet again. It is a very high stakes process that works way better if you are successful the first time. Those who aren't end up without any way to practice medicine in order to earn money and pay back their steep med school loans, which are now coming due because they are not continuing their training.
It used to be that everyone who wanted a residency could get one, maybe not in their first choice of location or specialty, but they could get something. That is no longer always the case. It is a tougher road than it used to be and I empathize with those who are going through the process. Best of luck to all of you.
So can I ask what your stats were and how many programs you applied to? And what would you do different?

So can I ask what your stats were and how many programs you applied to? And what would you do different?
I'm old. My stats are irrelevant. The things I described are not things that I just heard. They are things that I lived.

Just wanna say hi :) Canadian here studying in Australia. I have the exact same scores as you haha but I don't have green card or pubs :(

3 months USCE with 2x anaesthesiology (US attendings) letters and 2x IM (both US attending) letter. I also have a letter from an Australia anaesthesiologist whom I've worked with for the past year. I wonder if I should use Australian letter to replace an US IM letter?

Hey just saw this. Nice, hopefully i'll meet you on the trail.
Ive heard mixed responses, I'd say probably use the US letters. I'm using 3 USA letters and 1 Aussie letter.
Knowing full well, that they probably won't give my aussie one too much notice.
If i can only use 3 letters, i'm going to use all USA ones.

That doesn't mean thats the right thing to do, but i just think the letter is meanless if they can't trust who wrote it.

Hey just saw this. Nice, hopefully i'll meet you on the trail.
Ive heard mixed responses, I'd say probably use the US letters. I'm using 3 USA letters and 1 Aussie letter.
Knowing full well, that they probably won't give my aussie one too much notice.
If i can only use 3 letters, i'm going to use all USA ones.

That doesn't mean thats the right thing to do, but i just think the letter is meanless if they can't trust who wrote it.
Thanks for the reply :)
Having trouble deciding how many programs to apply to. Currently i got 140 anes programs on my list, and also 50 + each for prelim surgery and medicine, and 70+ transitional years. Added up to 9000$...is it necessary to apply to this many programs with my stats ?

Thanks for the reply :)
Having trouble deciding how many programs to apply to. Currently i got 140 anes programs on my list, and also 50 + each for prelim surgery and medicine, and 70+ transitional years. Added up to 9000$...is it necessary to apply to this many programs with my stats ?

Me and you are in the exact same boat haha. I've been speaking to people all of last week about this.
The general consensus is: 80% of all anesthesia programs are categorical now with 20% being advanced spots. For this reason anesthesia residents are less competitive for TY spots. Because they know we are likely to match categorical and then they'll match lower on their list for TY.
So TY which is already competitive becomes more competitive for anesthesia applicants.
Then it goes prelim med year (because its easier than prelim surg year), then prelim surg.

Is it necessary to pay for all the spots. Consensus from all the attendings and residents at my current place, is probably not but its also not the time to be cheap.

If you are happy to have a very hard/**** internship year. Then i'd apply prelim surg predominantly knowing that you'll have more options, and skip out on TY all together with the exception of a couple places that you would be very happy to match to as an advanced.

As for stats, we'll have a harder time getting a prelim interview than an anesthesia interview.

I'm back applying to reapply anesthesia this year. Last cycle was an absolute nightmare for me (250/251, 1st pass CS, no red flags with 8IVs to top to mid-tier programs and didn't match). Had to SOAP for a prelim spot. I've been working on my interviewing skills so hopefully I can actually get a Physician R spot this cycle.

I do have a question. I will be applying to all the R spots this cycle, but I was wondering if it is good to apply to C and/or A spots as well? My advisors can't help me on this and I don't want to get burned again.