Taking a Year Off for Research - Basic Science vs. Clinical Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkeymaniac

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to take a year off to do some research, and I was wondering whether basic science or clinical (ophthalmology-related) research experience would be favored by residency programs. Can anyone share their thoughts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning to take a year off to do some research, and I was wondering whether basic science or clinical (ophthalmology-related) research experience would be favored by residency programs. Can anyone share their thoughts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Def do clinical. Bench research is slower, less productive. You'll likely get many projects done if you do clinical work; probably 1, 2 max with bench.

Generally speaking its # of Publications that is "favored".
As REsseDoc said, you are more likely to get pubs in Clinical research (non-bench clinical research).
Still, if the basic scienctist PI is a star, and you think you can work like a star, there might be more reward to the basic scientist (especially if his work is translational or clinically relevant). My 2 pence.

Members don't see this ad :)
Basic science labs are more likely to tag you on multiple pubs than individual clinicians performing clinical chart review-style research. I think the quality of the research is also important. I would be more impressed by a single pub in a top-5 ophtho journal than a bunch of case reports.

Clinical. As others mentioned it's much easier to get pubs. And you're more likely to get 1st authorship as clinical (which is also important)

Question on the topic. I am also taking a year off to do research due to the fact that I am not a stellar student and I felt it would help my chances of matching. I was wondering how residency directors view that decision (does it actually help my application or will people be questioning me about why I decided to take the year for research).

The other question is I want to do benchwork and I was debating on whether to do it with an MD/PhD or a PhD; is there a difference?

Question on the topic. I am also taking a year off to do research due to the fact that I am not a stellar student and I felt it would help my chances of matching. I was wondering how residency directors view that decision (does it actually help my application or will people be questioning me about why I decided to take the year for research).

The other question is I want to do benchwork and I was debating on whether to do it with an MD/PhD or a PhD; is there a difference?

If you were going to definitely do bench research, I would stay stick to someone who is doing very clinically relevant research in ophthalmology.

To the OP, I personally prefer to read about clinical research than basic science research on someone's application (it makes it easier for me to talk to them about it), but no matter which one you choose, make sure to work really hard and produce quality work.

Hi,
I am looking for ophthalmology research either basic science or clinical in NY area. Any advise regarding who I should contact and how I should contact is greatly appreciated.
Thank you