Why UCLA School of Dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jitters

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've looked through other threads and the program website (seems like there are only old posts out there), but I am not sure if I am missing anything. Why would you want to go to UCLA School of Dentistry?

-Prestige/Name/reputation
-High chances to specialize
-Research
-Big on community service
-Good location/awesome weather
-Financially the better option (Would mentioning this on a secondary be a No,No?)
-Diversity?

Members don't see this ad.

Cheaper and high chance to specialize are the main reasons people go there. The name helps too. I also don't think they're that big on community service (at least not compared to other CA schools like Western).

Anybody else have a take on the community service part? according to their website they participate in Care Harbor and Give a Kid a Smile

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to be a dick but if you seriously cant formulate a reason why you want to go to a specific school by yourself I dont know how youll manage dental school.

Reactions: 1 user
Not to be a dick but if you seriously cant formulate a reason why you want to go to a specific school by yourself I dont know how youll manage dental school.

My bad dude! I found their website a bit on the vague side, I don't want to generic in my responses! I'm posting on here to get feedback, maybe I didn't research it correctly or was looking in the wrong places. I'm not asking for you to write my response obviously no one is going to post my supplemental application on the forum for me to copy and paste. I don't have any friends within UCLA dental school (nor do I have friends at UCLA for that matter) so this forum is as close as I'm going to get to a real person experiences with the school. I don't think asking for feedback will determine my successfulness in dental school.

Reactions: 6 users
Not really a matter of formulating an answer, but since most dental school websites are rather generic it would be better if you had more information on what the school offers through a student that goes there or knows someone who does. I ask every dental student I meet about their schools and what each program offers, it helps get a different view, and obviously you learn a lot more than what their website says.

How do you get information about dental schools?

...so this forum is as close as I'm going to get to a real person's experiences with the school.

At a minimum, jump to the Dental forum for info. But drop-off rate for SDN member activity post-acceptance is probably high 90s. So you may not get much response.

Or go to the acceptance threads from a couple years ago and see if a PM to what would be a current student might get a response.

Contact UCLA's ASDA chapter. Google their website or just find ASDA's chapter map to find links to every chapter website. Pre-dents do not take near enough advantage of ASDA, in general. You'll generally run into students who are willing to answer questions and be helpful.

You are right. Website info is superficial, brochure information. Every school is putting their best foot forward so they all are suddenly good at everything....research, placement, community service, etc. Current students are your best bet. Try at least one thing above to access a student or two.

UCLA isn't cheap. its around $220k w/o living expenses (which are high).

Still the cheapest in california. No one said it was cheap; just cheaper : p

Reactions: 1 user
UCLA was actually my easiest school to do my "Why us" question. Western was a bit harder for me... When did you receive your secondary? And what are you real questions of wanting to go?

At a minimum, jump to the Dental forum for info. But drop-off rate for SDN member activity post-acceptance is probably high 90s. So you may not get much response.

Or go to the acceptance threads from a couple years ago and see if a PM to what would be a current student might get a response.

Contact UCLA's ASDA chapter. Google their website or just find ASDA's chapter map to find links to every chapter website. Pre-dents do not take near enough advantage of ASDA, in general. You'll generally run into students who are willing to answer questions and be helpful.

You are right. Website info is superficial, brochure information. Every school is putting their best foot forward so they all are suddenly good at everything....research, placement, community service, etc. Current students are your best bet. Try at least one thing above to access a student or two.

Thank you :)

UCLA was actually my easiest school to do my "Why us" question. Western was a bit harder for me... When did you receive your secondary? And what are you real questions of wanting to go?

Just about 3 weeks ago..