Help with Rank list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi

Now that the interviews are over (or almost over), I was hoping to get some input with my rank list. I am getting some conflicting information re some of the programs so wanted to know what the SDN collective thought.

I am mostly interested in strong clinical training first - location is not an issue, research is not a priority. Interested in EP in long run

In no particular order:

Indiana univ
Brigham
Vanderbilt
WashU
Oklahoma
Emory
U Alabama
Cleveland clinic
Northwestern
UTSW
Texas Heart
U Michigan

Thanks for you help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

Now that the interviews are over (or almost over), I was hoping to get some input with my rank list. I am getting some conflicting information re some of the programs so wanted to know what the SDN collective thought.

I am mostly interested in strong clinical training first - location is not an issue, research is not a priority. Interested in EP in long run

In no particular order:

Indiana univ
Brigham
Vanderbilt
WashU
Oklahoma
Emory
U Alabama
Cleveland clinic
Northwestern
UTSW
Texas Heart
U Michigan

Great list. I think if location and research opportunities are lower in your priorities-Texas Heart, Alabama, Michigan, Emory and Cleveland Clinic should all fit the bill. I believe they let you graduate with as many level 2s as you like. All of them have a very different flavor though. So you will have to see where you fit better. For example Texas Heart and Cleveland are fellow-run (or there are no residents on services), Alabama has in-house call (I think its a major plus, others may not), is well-rounded (+/- cath) and intense, Michigan has good cath and EP training but imaging training is not so great- dont know if it lets you get level 2 training in all modalities; Emory has a great cath lab and CT/nuclear programs but hospitals are scattered, and it has home call. I dont think Indiana lets you graduate with level 2s in everything, especially echo (Feigenbaum's whims)- would recommend that you directly ask fellows at some of these programs as things may have changed since I interviewed.
Brigham, UTSW and Vanderbilt train people more for academic medicine than clinical careers. When I had looked at UTSW some years back, there cath numbers were low, but I think things may have changed.
If you are interested in only EP, Brigham (Stevenson; need two years though), Alabama (Kay/Ideker; they claim that numbers are high enough to justify one year of training), Michigan (Morady), Indiana (Zipes et al) and Cleveland are the programs to go to.

Last edited:
Lot of good places there. I'd think about which places can let you fast track if you are EP or cath bound and dont necessarily care about research. A lot of people say this but I think its repeated because its true - you'll get very similar training at a lot of these places. You have to differentiate places based upon some other factors ie personal relationships with faculty, location, ability to fast track, ability for research in your field of interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I was thinking along the same lines -

More clinical: (can get level 2 in cath, echo, nucs)
- CCF, THI, Alabama, Emory, Michigan, Northwestern

Clinical but trying to be more researchy:
- Vandy, WashU, UTSW, Indiana

Pure researchy
- Brigham

(Indiana could go into 1st or 2nd category - at ;east I was told that level 2 in everything but level 3 echo is difficult - everyone is expected to take echo and nuclear boards per the fellows -- same for Alabama)

Last edited:
Lot of good places there. I'd think about which places can let you fast track if you are EP or cath bound and dont necessarily care about research. A lot of people say this but I think its repeated because its true - you'll get very similar training at a lot of these places. You have to differentiate places based upon some other factors ie personal relationships with faculty, location, ability to fast track, ability for research in your field of interest.

Yeah true about the fast-track to EP - most programs have started to do it except CCF and if I remember correctly, @ UMich, you still have to do an extra year of research and then 2 of EP; @ Alabama - 2+1 year mandatory EP research and then 1 year EP - they say volume is high enough to get you trained.

Hypothetical match list. Also interested in EP, what are people's thoughts?

Hopkins
UCSF
Wash U
Duke
Northwestern
U Chicago
Columba
NYU
Sinai
Cornell
Penn
Emory
UWash
Yale
UCLA
Vanderbilt

Hi

In no particular order:

Indiana univ
Brigham
Vanderbilt
WashU
Oklahoma
Emory
U Alabama
Cleveland clinic
Northwestern
UTSW
Texas Heart
U Michigan

For your stated interest - good clinical EP training -

1) Michigan; then CCF, Wash U, and Northwestern in no particular order. Michigan is an EP powerhouse.

Keep in mind that its likely that you'll change your sub-specialty interest while in fellowship, however all of the above have good if not great interventional programs as well.

Texas Heart and Emory are among the strongest interventional programs but not sure about EP.

Hypothetical match list. Also interested in EP, what are people's thoughts?

Hopkins
UCSF
Wash U
Duke
Northwestern
U Chicago
Columba
NYU
Sinai
Cornell
Penn
Emory
UWash
Yale
UCLA
Vanderbilt

EP standouts on your list are: Penn, Sinai (they recently recruitied a number of well known EPs), Hopkins and UCSF (particularly for basic research in EP), Northwestern.
?

realize that if you go to duke that you will probably spend six years to finish EP. At least that has been the case for the last several years. Conversely if you go to Wash U then you can finish in 4 years.

Duke is most likely 4+2.

What do people think of Columbia? I got the impression that they think more highly of themselves than people on the outside (though it's obviously still a great program).

I have been silent reader of SDN posts. I am applying this year and have similar feelings about the programs mentioned above particularly Mayo and Cleveland. I got particularly impressed by Vandy Chief Dr. Sawyer. Also, I think Neal Kay is retiring at Univ of Alabama along with the nuclear and Echo department heads. I have serious doubts about the smooth functioning of that program. It's an FMG predominant program with no AMGs in the class they hired last year which is the other thing that concerned me during the interview day.

I have been silent reader of SDN posts. I am applying this year and have similar feelings about the programs mentioned above particularly Mayo and Cleveland. I got particularly impressed by Vandy Chief Dr. Sawyer. Also, I think Neal Kay is retiring at Univ of Alabama along with the nuclear and Echo department heads. I have serious doubts about the smooth functioning of that program. It's an FMG predominant program with no AMGs in the class they hired last year which is the other thing that concerned me during the interview day.

I concur with above.
Can anyone help me in arranging these programs in rol:
Vandy
UAB
Tufts
Rush
Loma Linda
Case Western
Utah
Drexel

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope no one will mind me piling on this post, but I am also looking for some help with my rank list. My focus is scattered but primary focuses are adult congenital and heart failure - plan for likely at academics but not in a top tier sense.

Current dilemma is how to rank UVA, MCV/VCU, UNC, Dartmouth and Brown ....the bottom of the list is pretty well sorted out.

Interesting comment. I graduated from UAB fellowship. UAB's loss of its famous electrophysiologist will only promote education in the EP lab and division as he is very difficult to work with. The other 4 guys are doing all the complex ablations he does. I don't think the imaging heads are going anywhere, although they are officially retiring (personal communication).
I feel the program has a much brighter future with change of PD that happened last year.
Feel free to pm me for more details.

Last edited:
just my random opinion: UAB, Vandy, Case, Rush, Tufts, Utah, Loma, Drexel

I concur with above.
Can anyone help me in arranging these programs in rol:
Vandy
UAB
Tufts
Rush
Loma Linda
Case Western
Utah
Drexel

Thank you.

just my random opinion: UAB, Vandy, Case, Rush, Tufts, Utah, Loma, Drexel

Thank you..I was confused between UAB Vandy Tufts...I was thinking of ranking these as top 3..
I was unsure about Case since cleveland clinic is next door..Rush seemed nice..however, very dry cath lab i felt..same thing with cath lab at Tufts infact..

Thank you..I was confused between UAB Vandy Tufts...I was thinking of ranking these as top 3..
I was unsure about Case since cleveland clinic is next door..Rush seemed nice..however, very dry cath lab i felt..same thing with cath lab at Tufts infact..

Any inputs

Didn't go to Tufts. To me, the happiest, down to earth fellows were at Vandy and it seemed they had better facilities. Numbers were not an issue at either Vandy or UAB. Living wise, TN might be slightly better than AL.

My list would be Vandy, UAB, Tufts (no desire to live in Boston)

I'm hoping to go into academics doing clinical outcomes based research but would like to have strong clinical to fall back on. Most likely going into EP. Just curious how these programs stack up.

University of Chicago
UNC
Univ of Maryland
BU
Georgetown/WHC
Cornell
Mount Sinai

Hi Friends,
I don't have such a great list, but wanted help to rank among the three programs out of the programs i interviewed.
Hartford Hospital, CT, University of Connecticut, Farmington and Westchester Medical Center, VAlhalla, NY.
Looking for a good clinical and practical experience with some research. Interested in Interventional in future. Any idea which program gives more benefits to the fellow in terms of pay, leave, insurance, work culture, etc as being a man with family, these things do matter. Any opinion is appreciated

I'm hoping to go into academics doing clinical outcomes based research but would like to have strong clinical to fall back on. Most likely going into EP. Just curious how these programs stack up.

University of Chicago
UNC
Univ of Maryland
BU
Georgetown/WHC
Cornell
Mount Sinai

If you are interested in EP, you should strongly look at Mount Sinai. UChicago, Cornell and Georgetown are also ok.

Hi guys,

Few more hours left for the rank list. Here is my almost final list - Interested in good, broad general cardiology, not really interested in research, location is not an issue -> final destination EP (70%)

Cleveland clinic
U Michigan
WashU
Emory
Vanderbilt
UTSW
U Alabama
Northwestern
Indiana univ
Texas Heart
Brigham
Oklahoma

Anything I am missing or doing something wrong here w.r.t. the programs listed?

Thanks a ton for your thoughts!

Hi guys,

Few more hours left for the rank list. Here is my almost final list - Interested in good, broad general cardiology, not really interested in research, location is not an issue -> final destination EP (70%)

Cleveland clinic
U Michigan
WashU
Emory
Vanderbilt
UTSW
U Alabama
Northwestern
Indiana univ
Texas Heart
Brigham
Oklahoma

Curious why TX Heart and Brigham so low? But that's a pretty nice list...make sure you're 100% set on your top 3 since that's where you'll probably land.

Hi guys,

Cleveland clinic
U Michigan
WashU
Emory
Vanderbilt
UTSW
U Alabama
Northwestern
Indiana univ
Texas Heart
Brigham
Oklahoma

Agreed on the top 3 thing. Especially if those programs are calling you. I personally liked UMich and Vandy best from that group FWIW, especially Michigan for EP.

Hi guys,

Cleveland clinic
U Michigan
WashU
Emory
Vanderbilt
UTSW
U Alabama
Northwestern
Indiana univ
Texas Heart
Brigham
Oklahoma

Your list is great and your top 7 programs will give you excellent clinical training. I might move Texas Heart up as that program will also give you excellent training, but this is at the cost of a significantly higher workload and having to act like a resident. You will be fine.

p diddy

As we're approaching the deadline I'm struggling a bit with my list. What do you think of this for someone who might be interested in EP?

Loyola
Rush
California Pacific
Kaiser SF
Jackson Mem/UMiami
Beth Israel NY
Lenox Hill
Drexel
Temple

Last edited:
Curious why TX Heart and Brigham so low? But that's a pretty nice list...make sure you're 100% set on your top 3 since that's where you'll probably land.

Thanks.

Texas Heart - there was total lack of supervision on the wards from what I understood about their program - you round on your own, put the note in the chart - I am not a cardiologist yet so I want someone to check my work behind me. Their CCU set was kind of weird as well, which I didn't really understand - It is excellent for cath for sure but I didn't get a good feel about rest of the program divisions - imaging, EP etc.

Brigham - promised only level 1 in everything and that's it. I knew they want you to do research but I didn't know going into the interview that it was going to be this heavy on research. Hence lower on the list. During their opening slide they say that we don't train clinical cardiologists, was very surprised by that.

Agreed on the top 3 thing. Especially if those programs are calling you. I personally liked UMich and Vandy best from that group FWIW, especially Michigan for EP.

No, no one is calling. Michigan PD said he didn't believe in that. Rest I am just going by where I thought I will get better general cardiology training followed by good EP training.

Last edited:
Your list is great and your top 7 programs will give you excellent clinical training. I might move Texas Heart up as that program will also give you excellent training, but this is at the cost of a significantly higher workload and having to act like a resident. You will be fine.

p diddy

Thanks. I think its more like unsupervised resident - I could be totally wrong but that's the impression I got.

Good Luck Everyone - Ranklist closes in 1 min :luck::luck::luck: