Hawaii College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
jdpharmd? said:
1: They have already had their white coat? (Today is day 3 of class?)
2: LONG coats????

Well....we got our coats before the first day of class. Some schools wait until students start rotations, others start at the beginning. Also, we had Idaho State students at one of the hospitals here using long coats. I still use a short consultation coat.

At UF we have long coats. They probably get a bulk discount since there is also a med school and a vet school in the complex. But, they didn't give them to us until the end of the 1st year, so we could have them for internships.

There is a great word to describe people like you, but I will not use it in this setting;) It was down this morning when I tried cause it works now.

We had our white coat ceremony at the end of the first week of school. We also have long jackets, which I like much better.

Caverject said:
There is a great word to describe people like you, but I will not use it in this setting;) It was down this morning when I tried cause it works now.

We had our white coat ceremony at the end of the first week of school. We also have long jackets, which I like much better.
Ouch. That must be the ever dreaded burn in absentia! :laugh:

I like short coats better. The long ones remind me of nightgowns.

bananaface said:
I like short coats better. The long ones remind me of nightgowns.

Since we have long coats, they told us not to wear skirts. For some reason, they have the opinion that people will think we are wearing nothing underneath. So, it's slacks with the long coat. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
ucrsandstorm said:
I have a problem with people posting things without asking the authors permission, especially when it is from ?some students? personal journal with personal pictures. The white coat ceremony is a special time where new students are accepted into the profession. It is a special moment in that person's life. When someone puts this ?blog? without permission and along with others, begins to make assumptions and judgments about them and their school IS VERY WRONG. Why don?t you ask that student? Why don?t you ask that student how their white coat went? Why don?t you ask for permission? Why do you assume everything is yours free to use? What if there was a picture of your parents and your parents did not consent to having those pictures posted?

In response to all the negativity, this is a new program and there are many things that can go wrong. Starting a pharmacy school is not easy and I think the majority of the students and staff is happy with how things are turning out. It?s not perfect, there are problems but I highly doubt that anyone else?s program is.

Not to say that I don't see the point behind your blog comments, the student's blog was in a public part of the WWW. That's the downfall of keeping an online journal; if you don't make it private, the whole world can see it and do whatever they want with it.

About your school... I am sure there are kinks to work out. I think the majority of posters lately, myself included, are genuinely curious as to how it's going there. Your answer seems rather vague, in my opinion. I just think that, after all the negativity and because HICP is a new school, the HICP students that are members of this community would be excited and wanting to share positive aspects about HICP.

ucrsandstorm said:
I have a problem with people posting things without asking the authors permission, especially when it is from ?some students? personal journal with personal pictures.
Yeah, obviously someone created that online, public blog so that nobody could read it. :rolleyes: Oh wait, the whole idea of a blog is to share experiences with everyone else, receive comments, etc. I wonder who emailed that person and told them to shut it down.... hmmm.... Well, better get back to the cloak and dagger that is HiCP. :laugh:

I've received 2 complaints from guests wanting to close and delete this thread. But it seems like people (at least in recent posts) are being civil and respectful of each other. Further, it appears that people are making statements that are backed by information publicly available on the Internet.

I don't find a gross violation of forum rules, so it will be left open.

Folks, don't ask me to close threads because you don't like people talking about your school. That's not appropriate.

Lee A Burnett said:
I've received 2 complaints from guests wanting to close and delete this thread. But it seems like people (at least in recent posts) are being civil and respectful of each other. Further, it appears that people are making statements that are backed by information publicly available on the Internet.

I don't find a gross violation of forum rules, so it will be left open.

Folks, don't ask me to close threads because you don't like people talking about your school. That's not appropriate.

I wonder who that could be? :rolleyes:

I was thinking about this....according to the article on the school from biz journal, the start up cost of the school was $250,000. My school spent 7,000,000 to start! Of course, maybe being accredited had something to do with it

Caverject said:
I was thinking about this....according to the article on the school from biz journal, the start up cost of the school was $250,000. My school spent 7,000,000 to start! Of course, maybe being accredited had something to do with it
250K? That is crazy! Do you have a link to that article?

bananaface said:
250K? That is crazy! Do you have a link to that article?
It's on the previous page of this thread. :idea:

Just curious, but does the school have a library? 250k seems awfully small....in fact my house costs about that much. I can't image there is any way to really start a school with that kind of money...maybe they forgot a zero or something. I saw another article about the state school slated to open in Hawaii in 2006 and they were pegging around 20 million for their start up cost.

This thread needs an index. You're up for making one, Anna? :p Just kidding ;)

FutureRxGal said:
LVPharm's post, #443, page 23 of this thread...right next to where you dropped your glasses. :cool: :smuggrin:
My friend Todd and I exchanged glasses during a 3am fire drill once and discovered that we had the same prescription. Those were his glasses I dropped.

LVPharm said:
This thread needs an index. You're up for making one, Anna? :p Just kidding ;)
Maybe NEXT summer. :D

Tuck said:
Just curious, but does the school have a library? 250k seems awfully small....in fact my house costs about that much.
I don't think so. I remember something about HICP students downloading everything from "the server".

I hope they at least have Micromedex...I don't think I could get by without that program. Of course, it is $60,000 a year for a subscription, so that leaves them with $190k if they do....

Caverject said:
I have actually read the hard copy of the article announcing the opening of HICP. In the body of the text it says they spent $250,000. I am not sure where that amount came from. But, in the hard copy of the paper, it also shows/lists bullet point facts about the school. One of the bullet points says that the school was spending millions to open the school. I can't remember the exact amount, but it was in the million dollar range. It also mentioned the buildings that were being built and their square footage. So I don't know if the body of the article was referring to something else or what they were referring to with the mention of the $250,000.

trvlgrl said:
I have actually read the hard copy of the article announcing the opening of HICP. In the body of the text it says they spent $250,000. I am not sure where that amount came from. But, in the hard copy of the paper, it also shows/lists bullet point facts about the school. One of the bullet points says that the school was spending millions to open the school. I can't remember the exact amount, but it was in the million dollar range. It also mentioned the buildings that were being built and their square footage. So I don't know if the body of the article was referring to something else or what they were referring to with the mention of the $250,000.
According to the college's website, the campus is supposed to be done in a few months. I remember hearing something about the construction being delayed indefinitely (never started?).

The College has secured a large and well known developer to build a permanent campus adjacent to the temporary location in Ka?polei. The incremental developments will be as follow: the development of approximately two 40,000 square feet buildings to commence early 2004; the completion of the project, early 2005. The next developmental phase will occur shortly thereafter with two additional buildings equal to the first phase; projected completion in 2007.

Source: http://www.hicp.org/add/rationale.asp

Does anyone think that this sounds a bit, oh, "awkward"?

The State of Hawai?i along with other States in the Union has seen an increase in its aging population. Moreover, the demand for quality care has increase sharply within the State as a result of a more knowledgeable society. Coupled with the retiring pharmacists creates an environment that warrants a need to develop a college of pharmacy. Hence, Pacific Educational Services with its strategic and environmental analysis has concluded a college of pharmacy would be a viable solution to assist and meet the current needs and beyond for the State of Hawai?i.

Verbatim from: http://www.hicp.org/add/rationale.asp

Well, if they continue to write that way I think their chances of getting accredited will begin to decrease....

I wonder where the heck they are going to have over 200 rotation sites....we have enough problems in a small area with just 68 students!

Perhaps we should start charging for our services.

I'm a current student at the USC school of pharmacy. I'm just curious why a person would want to attend HICP? I'm not trying to be rude in any way...just curious. I'm also a resident of Honolulu so this school concerns me because it will affect the community. I just heard about this school opening one week ago. The low key opening and lack of publicity is already a concern to me. So I'm really directing this question to the current students and students who are thinking of applying to it. I could not really find one positive note on why to even attend the school. It has not even gone through the normal accreditation process (thus no financial aid through FAFSA). Even at USC where the pharmacy school has been around for over 100 years, there are some problems (although minor ones) with the curriculum.

Are people attending because they could not get into another school or better one? They want to stay home? (though majority of student are from the mainland) Think it could be easier?

Why risk 3 years of your life, $100K, and not passing the boards?

Peace.

Passing the board or not, it depends not only the school but also by yourself... :idea:

You know, they are adding an essay section to the PCAT this year.

About your school... I am sure there are kinks to work out. I think the majority of posters lately, myself included, are genuinely curious as to how it's going there. Your answer seems rather vague, in my opinion. I just think that, after all the negativity and because HICP is a new school, the HICP students that are members of this community would be excited and wanting to share positive aspects about HICP.[/QUOTE]

It seems that none of the HICP SDN members communicate here anymore. I am only guessing it is because of all the negativity. Waste of energy always defending their choice of school.

trvlgrl said:
It seems that none of the HICP SDN members communicate here anymore. I am only guessing it is because of all the negativity. Waste of energy always defending their choice of school.

Funny how you mention negativity like it is still occurring. In case the point was missed, I'll repeat it:

FutureRxGal said:
About your school... I am sure there are kinks to work out. I think the majority of posters lately, myself included, are genuinely curious as to how it's going there. Your answer seems rather vague, in my opinion. I just think that, after all the negativity and because HICP is a new school, the HICP students that are members of this community would be excited and wanting to share positive aspects about HICP.

Edit: By the way, do I get some sort of special prize for having the 500th post in the HICP thread? ;) :D

Is the HICP website down? :confused:

Tuck said:
I hope they at least have Micromedex...I don't think I could get by without that program. Of course, it is $60,000 a year for a subscription, so that leaves them with $190k if they do....
hey all of you guys who goes to HICP is tht school easy to get in? I live in New Jersey, would like to apply to HICP, but how easy is it to get into tht school?
thankx guys
appreciate it.

It should read...

http://www.hicp.org/add/vision.asp

The vision of the Hawaii College of Pharmacy? is to be a global leader and innovator of pharmacy education,and perhaps before the first class graduates, get accrediated by the ACPE.