University of Michigan Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If the financial aid package beats that of Stanford, then I am going to UMich. Otherwise, I will be in Sunny CA for 4-5 yrs!

It's going to be a tough call :confused: :scared: :eek: :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

LauraMac said:
almost positive this is where i'm going now after getting rejected from the other school i really liked... so, who else is going to be in a2 next year for sure?

4 more years of football saturdays! i'm excited already!

Wait were you not the one that said you were highly opposed to AA?? I remember you posting that a couple of months ago on an AA thread... If a URM got in with your stats that would be called AA... Oh what a tangled web we weave...

Members don't see this ad :)
MadameLULU said:
So who is leaning towards Michigan?

Its kinda strange but in all the stress of the past few days I've realized how much I really like it here. I'm strongly leaning toward staying. So much so in fact that yesterday, when I was on the accepted students website looking at books for next year's classes, I actually caught myself thinking about where I would buy them. I sort of surprized myself with that one. ( Yeah, yeah. I know its way to early to be thinking about that stuff :rolleyes: but I am really looking forward to next year and besides... nutty premediness dies hard.) :D

Is anyone else planning to go to the second look in April? They put some info about it up on the admitted students website...I have to give props to Mich--with all their post-acceptance recruitment efforts (chats, website, mailings), it's obvious they don't want to fall off of anyone's radar screen!

bidster said:
Is anyone else planning to go to the second look in April? They put some info about it up on the admitted students website...I have to give props to Mich--with all their post-acceptance recruitment efforts (chats, website, mailings), it's obvious they don't want to fall off of anyone's radar screen!

I'm planning on going. I was really impressed with UM, and I am looking forward to seeing the financial aid package too! So, I'll be there in April for a second look. (Currently, UM is battling CU for my dollars.) I won't be there til Saturday, CU moved it's 2nd Look Friday to the 22nd. :mad:

Looking forward to meeting many of you!

visualwealth said:
Wait were you not the one that said you were highly opposed to AA?? I remember you posting that a couple of months ago on an AA thread... If a URM got in with your stats that would be called AA... Oh what a tangled web we weave...

what is the purpose of this post? i did get into umich. and no, i am not a fan of AA, but that is only my opinion, and everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.

ellia08 said:
Its kinda strange but in all the stress of the past few days I've realized how much I really like it here. I'm strongly leaning toward staying. So much so in fact that yesterday, when I was on the accepted students website looking at books for next year's classes, I actually caught myself thinking about where I would buy them. I sort of surprized myself with that one. ( Yeah, yeah. I know its way to early to be thinking about that stuff :rolleyes: but I am really looking forward to next year and besides... nutty premediness dies hard.) :D

i know. it's funny to think so far ahead. but i am already looking at houses/apts near the med school and talking to people about getting football tickets and all that other stuff that makes me think i'll be staying for sure. just waiting on emory to be certain...

bidster said:

i'll be at the second look weekend for sure. and i also think it's great the way they continually keep in contact with us. :)

LauraMac said:
what is the purpose of this post? i did get into umich. and no, i am not a fan of AA, but that is only my opinion, and everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.

funny how you are not a fan of AA, but continously benefit from it as 1) woman, 2) as a self-described "Native-American"... that's B.S.

LauraMac said:
i know. it's funny to think so far ahead. but i am already looking at houses/apts near the med school and talking to people about getting football tickets and all that other stuff that makes me think i'll be staying for sure. just waiting on emory to be certain...

the students said the apartments near the med school are pretty dumpy
im kind of spoiled-- i'd prefer to have a roommate, but i need my own bathroom and id like to havea washer and dryer in the apartment... are there many apartments with these options near the med school?

CreativeWriter said:
funny how you are not a fan of AA, but continously benefit from it as 1) woman, 2) as a self-described "Native-American"... that's B.S.

i don't want to benefit from it. i want to do things on my own merits. i don't know any female/minority/etc who wants to get into a school or get a job just based on sex/ethnicity/etc.

does every minority you know agree with every aspect of AA? i highly doubt it.

but whatever, i don't want to argue about AA. this is supposed to be a thread about Umich. So let's just talk about how much we love this school. :love:

MadameLULU said:
the students said the apartments near the med school are pretty dumpy
im kind of spoiled-- i'd prefer to have a roommate, but i need my own bathroom and id like to havea washer and dryer in the apartment... are there many apartments with these options near the med school?

oh yeah, the apts near there are dumpy, but there are some houses nearby and other apts a little further away that aren't as bad. i'd say most have washers/dryers. as long as you're not in the "white coat ghetto" or right in the heart of central campus u should be good to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
LauraMac said:
i don't want to benefit from it. i want to do things on my own merits. i don't know any female/minority/etc who wants to get into a school or get a job just based on sex/ethnicity/etc.

does every minority you know agree with every aspect of AA? i highly doubt it.

but whatever, i don't want to argue about AA. this is supposed to be a thread about Umich. So let's just talk about how much we love this school. :love:

That's cool I just wanted to point out your hypocrisy... in your mind AA is the worst thing yet you gain from it... BTW I hate no word more than the word merit. Merit has come to mean entitlement and, as any wise person knows no one is entitled to anything in life.

visualwealth said:
That's cool I just wanted to point out your hypocrisy... in your mind AA is the worst thing yet you gain from it... BTW I hate no word more than the word merit. Merit has come to mean entitlement and, as any wise person knows no one is entitled to anything in life.

Its not really hypocrisy unless you specifically use it for your advantage. It is not hypocrisy to be against AA and be an URM. Only if you try to use, and be against it.

I, however, am for AA, and I am pretty certain it works against me. B/c it doesnt just benefit who it may have helped get in, b/c other people may have a different idea of what merit is (and visualwealth, its not merit meaning entitlement, its people confused at what merit is, merit means working for what you got). And maybe some people can't understand that it may be different for two people of different races to get to the same point, that racisms exist everywhere in this so called melting pot, that it is harder to be a minority.

See what people don't understand, its not equating merit with entitlement, it is what is merit. Are pure numbers merit, no. I believe it is Sandra Day O'connor who gave the opinion that social inequalities are prevalent in American society, and that the goal of AA is not to accept some underqualified applicant, but to try to erase these social inequalities so that in the future, these dispparities do not exist. What she didnt say is how those who are "hurt" by AA benefit from it, how erasing social inequalities, how erasing prejudism, advances society.

Ok, here's my $0.02, take it or leave it.

I disagree with affirmative action, because I think it promotes the acceptance of less qualified candidates. If someone's not going to work hard enough to get to this point, why are they going to work harder in medical school? That said, if affirmative action were to help me somehow, so be it. You play the game by the rules. If someone decided to give special preference to white, middle-class people from small towns in West Texas, I'd take it. Is it fair? No, of course not. Is it fair that some people are born to rich parents who buy them BMWs? Life's full of inequities, you just have to deal with it.

1) Contrary to popular belief, there are students at michigan both for and against Affirmative action. (they protest each other and march and stuff)
2) There are URMs in both organisations.

More importantly, for the last page and a half I have been utterly confused, why? well because I am an idiot and immediately equated AA = ann arbor. So I've spent the few minutes wondering what you all have against ann arbor. I did figure it out before the last two posts though and in my defense, I didnt read the earlier part of the thread.

sigh.

I need more sleep. (darn thesis)

For anyone who wants to discuss AA, it has its own thread. I can find the link for you.

hold on a minute I'll get it

[edit] whew!! I waded through the backlog of sdn threads (a scary journey let me tell you) and found just one of the MANY threads on AA so, for anyone interested ....

one of many AA threads

have fun.

ellia08 said:
More importantly, for the last page and a half I have been utterly confused, why? well because I am an idiot and immediately equated AA = ann arbor. So I've spent the few minutes wondering what you all have against ann arbor. I did figure it out before the last two posts though and in my defense, I didnt read the earlier part of the thread.

:laugh: :laugh:

texasaggie2005 said:
Ok, here's my $0.02, take it or leave it.

I disagree with affirmative action, because I think it promotes the acceptance of less qualified candidates. If someone's not going to work hard enough to get to this point, why are they going to work harder in medical school? That said, if affirmative action were to help me somehow, so be it. You play the game by the rules. If someone decided to give special preference to white, middle-class people from small towns in West Texas, I'd take it. Is it fair? No, of course not. Is it fair that some people are born to rich parents who buy them BMWs? Life's full of inequities, you just have to deal with it.

It promotes the acceptance of less qualified applicants in YOUR EYES, and not the eye of the medical school.

Do you know what the school is striving for?

Maybe to get more URM b/c URM are much more likely to treat URM, and that is something heavily needed in this country.

Maybe it is so the entire class isnt male suburban middle class conservatives whose republican parents bought them a "better" education but lack any real world experience; the school might want a little variety, and hell, it may benefit you. B/c the first time you encounter someone who isnt another male suburban middle class conservative republican be when you are supposed to treat them, but you have a pre-disposed prejudice against them b/c you have only seen other male suburban middle class conservative republicans in a sheletered life.

Just my 2 cents.

ellia08 said:
1) Contrary to popular belief, there are students at michigan both for and against Affirmative action. (they protest each other and march and stuff)
2) There are URMs in both organisations.

sigh.

I need more sleep. (darn thesis)

I did that too. AA or a2 to me means Ann Arbor ;)

ellia08 said:
For anyone who wants to discuss AA, it has its own thread. I can find the link for you.

hold on a minute I'll get it

Nah, I'm done, it just starts fights :)

Lets talk about how the Big 10 will be awesome next year, and UM has a hard fight against Iowa and the damned buckeyes to 3-peat goin to the Rose Bowl (nobody loses the Rose Bowl quite like UM, GO BLUE!) :) :)

gbiz said:
Nah, I'm done, it just starts fights :)

Lets talk about how the Big 10 will be awesome next year, and UM has a hard fight against Iowa and the damned buckeyes to 3-peat goin to the Rose Bowl (nobody loses the Rose Bowl quite like UM, GO BLUE!) :) :)

Thats michigan.

Games we should win we loose terribly. Games we should loose we win. We go to bowls that everyone says are too good for us and top it all off with a heartbreaker.

Oh umich! :rolleyes: :D

i'm hoping for more than a rose bowl championship. i'm hoping for a national championship. well maybe not next year, but at least within the next couple years.

LauraMac said:
i'm hoping for more than a rose bowl championship. i'm hoping for a national championship. well maybe not next year, but at least within the next couple years.

Well if you get a Rose Bowl championship this time around, it is a National Championship. This year's BCS game is the Rose Bowl...

There is a chance for a USC-UofM Rose Bowl rematch, being the national title game!!!! But it will be tough... the Pac10 is again weak, so USC should be able to make it, but the Big10 will have a great year after a particularly mild one, with Iowa, OSU and UofM front runners for the championship.

UM has made it to the Rose Bowl more than any other program... they have also lost it more than any other program :/

If I get off the waitlist and into UofM, I am soo getting tickets :) :) :)

LauraMac said:

What are you fellow ESTers doing up at 2:30 am! tsk tsk tsk

gbiz said:
It promotes the acceptance of less qualified applicants in YOUR EYES, and not the eye of the medical school.

Maybe to get more URM b/c URM are much more likely to treat URM, and that is something heavily needed in this country.

Maybe it is so the entire class isnt male suburban middle class conservatives whose republican parents bought them a "better" education but lack any real world experience; the school might want a little variety, and hell, it may benefit you. B/c the first time you encounter someone who isnt another male suburban middle class conservative republican be when you are supposed to treat them, but you have a pre-disposed prejudice against them b/c you have only seen other male suburban middle class conservative republicans in a sheletered life.

Just my 2 cents.

Just my two words.... White Privilege

If you don't know what this means, www.google.com

Last edited:
gbiz said:

Just my 2 cents.

Whoa, easy buddy. Not republican, not conservative, not from the suburbs, and definitely not rich enough that my parents can afford to pay for my education. I pay for my education. I have nothing against accepting minorities, nor anything against accepting women (I don't even know where you got that from). I grew up in both a town and a neighborhood that were mainly Hispanic. And for you to suggest I'd have a problem treating someone just because they're not from the same background as me is both ridiculous and rude. I'm honestly offended.

I just don't think there should be such a disparity between MCAT/GPA of non-minorities and minorities accepted to a school. And I really don't like "minority only" second-look weekends, etc.

And with that, I'm done. My apologies to those of you who wanted to talk about UMich for helping to derail your thread, I just had to correct some ridiculous assumptions.

gbiz said:
What are you fellow ESTers doing up at 2:30 am! tsk tsk tsk

i have the weirdest sleeping habits of anyone i know. sometimes i don't go to bed for days, and sometimes i sleep for 10 hours at a time. and if by some odd chance i am on a "regular" schedule it means i am sleeping from 5:00a.m. - 12:00p.m. every day.

what were YOU still doing up? :)

Hey.... a new page. Yahoo.

Now back to Michigan.

Someone said there's decent housing outside of the white coat ghetto. Is that off to the north east of campus or what? I assume anything near central campus would get a little ridiculous in terms of cost and frat boys outside your windows, no?

Hey Lulu,

I like Michigan a lot - great vibe from the interview day, great area, tons of resources without (perhaps) some of the baggage of other "top" schools, etc... I'm a bit concerned that events will conspire against me, however, and I'll have to withdraw. Trying to coordinate grad school with my wife and all (curse U Mich for only having straight PhD programs rather than independent MA's, by the way). I'm holding out some hope, however.

In any event, I'm actually in OKC, but there are a surprising number of UT fans this close to Sooner land.

LauraMac said:
i have the weirdest sleeping habits of anyone i know. sometimes i don't go to bed for days, and sometimes i sleep for 10 hours at a time. and if by some odd chance i am on a "regular" schedule it means i am sleeping from 5:00a.m. - 12:00p.m. every day.

what were YOU still doing up? :)

Playing on SDN, like everyone else :) Oh, and watching Family Guy.

brothersboff said:

Now back to Michigan.

Someone said there's decent housing outside of the white coat ghetto. Is that off to the north east of campus or what? I assume anything near central campus would get a little ridiculous in terms of cost and frat boys outside your windows, no?

If you dont mind driving, you can always go towards Ypsilante or something, and take 10 minutes or so driving.

brothersboff said:

Now back to Michigan.

But it must be noted that housing in Michigan is EXPEN$$IVE! (meaning non-campus stuff, like condos, etc)

gbiz said:
But it must be noted that housing in Michigan is EXPEN$$IVE! (meaning non-campus stuff, like condos, etc)

compared to what? alaska?

frantic983 said:

lol, yeah i don't think michigan is expensive, just ann arbor, prolly what gbiz meant.

as for nice places, like non-student nice, meaning actual real houses/apts, you probably have to move at least a mile away from the med school.

and if you want something cheap, ypsi is definitely a good option.

LauraMac said:
lol, yeah i don't think michigan is expensive, just ann arbor, prolly what gbiz meant.

as for nice places, like non-student nice, meaning actual real houses/apts, you probably have to move at least a mile away from the med school.

and if you want something cheap, ypsi is definitely a good option.

So I had a question about ypsi. I was talking to a graduate of UMich and their impression was that it was pretty ghetto. I didn't know if, by that, they meant it was just a lot cheaper than Ann Arbor, or if it's generally seen as a crappy place to be or what. Seemed like some of what was underlying it was a generally negative view of EMU, so I thought I'd see if there were alternative thoughts.

brothersboff said:
So I had a question about ypsi. I was talking to a graduate of UMich and their impression was that it was pretty ghetto. I didn't know if, by that, they meant it was just a lot cheaper than Ann Arbor, or if it's generally seen as a crappy place to be or what. Seemed like some of what was underlying it was a generally negative view of EMU, so I thought I'd see if there were alternative thoughts.

yeah, everyone says it's kinda ghetto, and i guess it is. but it's more ghetto because of lack of culture, a few run down buildings, etc. rather than because of crime or anything unsafe like that... at least that is my impression.

frantic983 said:

Compared to Florida, TX, generally southern states. Well now, in general housing in MI is expensive, not just AA. Housing in Detroit is too for what you are getting. Metro-detroit is very expensive, which is why people will buy a house in the middle of nowhere, closer to port huron then to detroit, and commute an hour each way.

LauraMac said:
yeah, everyone says it's kinda ghetto, and i guess it is. but it's more ghetto because of lack of culture, a few run down buildings, etc. rather than because of crime or anything unsafe like that... at least that is my impression.

You can find nicer things in other surrounding areas... but take it from me, COMMUTING SUCKS. It drains you sooo much.

To all those who interviewed at Michigan: did you get an e-mail about your accepted/waitlisted/rejected status after your interview?

I interviewed in February and expected my file to go under review on March 10. A few of the other applicants who interviewed that day told me their status pages have been updated -- they were waitlisted. My status page has not been updated, and I don't know what that means! I didn't get any messages or videos e-mailed to me, so I'm a little worried that it means I've been rejected and that the letter's on its way to me via snail mail.

HumptyDumpty said:
To all those who interviewed at Michigan: did you get an e-mail about your accepted/waitlisted/rejected status after your interview?

Yes, I received an email and my status page changed. I would call the office to see what's going on. Good luck :luck: :luck:

for all those wondering about matching in the coasts...this year 27 matched to programs on the west coast and 36 matched to programs on the east coast..this is from today's online chat

MadameLULU said:
for all those wondering about matching in the coasts...this year 27 matched to programs on the west coast and 36 matched to programs on the east coast..this is from today's online chat

i'd also like to point out that more people matched on the coasts than the number who were originally from the coasts. so the idea that you can't go out to the coasts (no matter where you're from originally) is ridiculous!

Alright kiddos, here's the match list for Michigan. Enjoy. I put an asterisk next to programs that, based on my limited knowledge, are considered to be among the best in the country. I don't know anything about OB/GYN or peds.
FYI: the most competitive specialties to match into=ENT, orthopaedics, neurosurgery, dermatology, opthalmology, radiation oncology, radiology, and urology. How competitive? 40% of the ENT applicants who matched last year were alpha omega alpha (i.e., top 10% of their class with excellent board scores to boot), so the competition can be pretty tough. As you can see, Michigan students fared extremely well in many of the highly competitive specialties, matching all over the country.

Gas:
University of Virginia
Northwestern University
Mayo Clinic, Rochester*
Stanford University*
University of California, San Francisco (2)*
Massachusetts General Hospital (2)*
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor*
Duke University*
University of Wisconsin
Cornell University*
University of Texas-Houston
Cleveland Clinic
Emory University

General Surgery
Temple University Hospital, Pennsylvania
University Hospital Cincinnati*
Emory University (2)
University of Michigan*
UCLA
University of Vermont
University of Florida—Shands Hospital

Internal Medicine
Boston University Medical Center
University of Pennsylvania (2)*
NYU School of Medicine*
Columbia University*
University of Iowa (2)
Washington University in St. Louis*
Emory University (2)
Tufts University
University of Michigan (4)*
Northwestern University*
Johns Hopkins*
University of Pittsburgh
University of Chicago*
University of Texas at Southwestern*
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, California

Ophthalmology:
Wills Eye Institute (2)*-->top 5 program!
University of Texas Southwestern—Dallas (excellent program)
Cook County Hospital, Chicago
University of Michigan (2)*
Loyola University
Texas A & M
University of Miami—Bascom Palmer* (the #1 program in the country)

Otolaryngology:
University of Michigan*-->top 5 program
University of Pennsylvania*
New York University*
University of Iowa* (top 5 program)
University of Chicago
Oregon Health and Sciences University

Neurosurgery:
UCLA*
Baylor College of Medicine
University of Alabama, Birmingham
University of Washington, Seattle*

Neurology:
UCLA*

Radiology:
Morristown Memorial Hospital, New Jersey
University of Washington, Seattle*
University of Pennsylvania*
Massachusetts General Hospital*
University of California Irvine Medical Center
University of California San Diego*
Virginia Mason Hospital, Washington
Johns Hopkins Hospital*

Radiation Oncology:
University of California San Francisco*

Dermatology:
Columbia University
University of Michigan (4)*
Stanford University*
Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit

Plastic Surgery:
University of Michigan*
Stanford University*
University of California San Francisco*

Psychiatry:
Yale University*
University of California, San Diego
Columbia University*
Brown University

Orthopaedics:
Henry Ford Hospital
University of Michigan*
Carolinas Medical Center, South Carolina
Jackson Memorial Hospital, Florida
Emory University
Massachusetts General Hospital*

Pediatrics:
University of Chicago (2)
Albert Einstein
University of Colorado
Duke University
University of Minnesota
University of Rochester
University of Michigan (2)
Naval Medical Center-San Diego, CA
University of North Carolina
Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia
Case Western University (Rainbow Babies)
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
University of California San Francisco

Obstetrics/Gynecology:
Beth Israel Deaconness Medical Center
University of California, San Diego
Ohio State University
University of Michigan
Case Western University
Long Island Jewish Medical Center-New York
University of California San Francisco

Emergency Medicine:
St. Lukes-Roosevelt-New York
University Hospital Cincinnati*
UMDNJ RW Johnson
University of Alabama Hospital-Birmingham
Mount Sinai Hospital
Washington University in St. Louis*
Alameda County Medical Center—California*
William Beaumont Hospital—Michigan
Harbor-UCLA Medical Center*
University of Pittsburgh*
Maimonides Medical Center—New York
Carolinas Medical Center*

Pathology:
Northwestern University
Case Western University
Stanford University*
Columbia University*
Brigham and Womens Hospital*

Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation:
Stanford University*

I just wanted to give my 2 cents about living, commuting, parking at University of Michigan.

Many med students live in the med school "ghetto" as they call it. This consists of Island Drive apartments and Med Center Court. The management is decent but not great. And you will pay quite a bit of money for a decent, but not great apartment. What you DO pay for is convenience. You can easily walk to the medical school from either apartment (if you decide to go to class).

Parking sucks donkey balls here unless you get your hands on a Blue Parking permit. Technically, if you are a med student with a Blue pass, you are in violation of the honor code. But some students have them anyway despite this silly little rule (which originated because, according to rumor, some nurse bitched and moaned to the administration that she couldn't get a parking spot because med students were parking in the Blue lots...laughable). One very easy way to get a Blue pass is if you know someone who works in a research lab or the hospital who is eligible for a Blue pass but does not own one. This person can then obtain a Blue pass for you but it'll cost you somewhere around $500-600 (don't remember what the exact price quote is these days). Why Blue pass? With a Blue pass, you can find an easier time getting a parking spot at virtually any time of day.

Now, if you live in the med student "ghetto", you can just park at your apartment and walk to the school and just use your car for running errands off campus such as getting groceries.

If you decide to live off campus such as Ypsilanti (which is a 10-15 minute drive away), I would suggest that you ride the AATA bus in. Previously, one would have to pay a buck to ride the bus. But now with a student ID, you can ride the AATA buses for free. I have been living off campus and commuting in and I love my apartment. It's a phat apartment and I split it with my roommate $1100/2 = $550). But I do drive into campus (because I have a Blue pass).

Another option is purchasing a condo. You can get condos at reasonable prices in Ypsilanti. There is also the Riverhouse condos which is part of the med student "ghetto". There is some decent turnover so I would try checking into that. Some of my MSTP classmates owned a condo at Riverhouse and so they wouldn't be pissing their money away on rent and they had the convenience of being able to walk to medical school.

P.S. The Match list was quite good this year. More people, such as myself, matched on the coasts. The people that I know who matched in the midwest CHOSE to stay in the midwest...not because they couldn't match at the coasts. And the optho match was ridiculous this year. Two people matching to Wills and one to Bascom Palmer! Wow! But I know those folks and those people were superstars (which goes to show that if you work your ass off and do well here, you will be able to match at the most competitive programs).

LauraMac said:
I think Michigan has a great shot at winning the national championship this upcoming year? Why? Cuz I'm moving out of Ann Arbor.

See, Michigan won the championship (well they shared with the Huskers) in 1997. Then I started med school here that summer right after that. We've been in a championship drought obviously. Now that I'm leaving though, Michigan should be in prime position to win the national championship!

Go Blue!

What's funny is that one of my co-residents at the Brigham is from Ohio State. We're gonna be razzin' each other about the Michigan-OSU rivalry during residency :laugh: