Freakin' Navy - Where's the GME Results?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ishii123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Freakin' Navy...Where's the NAVY GME Results?!

I saw that the Army and Air Force revealed their info in the very early morning (12 am and 1 am)...I've been waking up every 1-2 hours last night hoping the Navy would do the same...but "NO!"...of course not...Our freakin' Navy is last to give it's sailors the news and they don't want to reveal it until possibly the afternoon :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

The Navy heard that I couldn't find my Haldol or Xanax, so they're just trying to screw with me. I'm off to the bell tower to polish my sniper rifle and guzzle a 12 pack of cheap beer. They're still KILLING ME!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I should put down the rifle, stop drinking the beer and crack open my "Radiology for Dummies" review book cause it's back to residency for this old, tired flight surgeon.

Best wishes...

WOO HOO!!! Navy Derm for me!

I'm the Naval Flight Surgeon who's gonna fight skin disease :D

Sledge2005 said:
Congrats!!! cheers to the good life!
Hey,

Could someone post the list on the board or send us the link? I would like to know where some of my buddies ended up.

Congratulations everyone,
1st time poster... long time reader.
I guess I'll be going through this thing a year from now.
Can anyone post a summary of how many people went where, no. of full deferments, etc. per specialty? (I think someone posted similar numbers last year)

thanks
AJP

bobbyseal said:
Could someone post the list on the board or send us the link? I would like to know where some of my buddies ended up.

https://www-nshs.med.navy.mil/gmeapplication/secure/ResultsList.asp

AJ_18 said:
Congratulations everyone,
Can anyone post a summary of how many people went where, no. of full deferments, etc. per specialty? (I think someone posted similar numbers last year)

Residency & GMO data:

Aero med - 4 sel NAMI, 4 alt
Anesthesia - 6 sel NMCSD, 6 sel NMCP, 5 sel NCC, 33 alt (!), 2 def sel
Derm - 4 sel NMCSD, 2 sel NCC, 6 alt, 2 def sel
ER - 8 sel NMCSD, 9 sel NMCP, 10 alt, 1 sef sel, 2 def alt
FP - 6 sel Brem, 6 sel Lejeune, 13 sel Pendleton, 12 sel Jacksonville, 6 sel Pensacola, 11 alt, 1 def sel
Int Med - 11 sel NMCSD, 9 sel NMCP, 8 sel NCC, 19 alt, 1 def sel
Neurology - 2 sel NCC, 1 def preselect 2007, 4 alt
Neurosurg - 1 sel NCC, 1 fulltime OS alt
OB/GYN - 4 sel NMCSD, 4 sel NMCP, 2 sel NCC, 3 alt
Ophth. - 2 sel NMCSD, 4 alt
Ortho - 5 sel NMCSD, 3 sel NMCP, 3 sel NCC, 3 alt, 2 def sel
Oto. - 2 sel NMCSD, 3 sel NCC, 5 alt, 1 def sel, 1 fulltime OS alt
Path - 3 sel NMCSD, 2 sel NCC, 3 alt
Peds - 5 sel NMCSD, 4 sel NMCP, 4 sel NCC, 6 alt, 2 def sel
Psych - 4 sel NMCSD, 5 sel NMCP, 3 sel NCC, 7 alt
Radiology - 8 sel NMCSD, 5 sel NMCP, 5 sel NCC, 4 alt
Surgery - 4 sel NMCSD, 4 sel NMCP, 3 sel NCC, 4 alt
Urology - 1 sel NMCSD, 2 alt, 2 fulltime OS sel, 1 fulltime OS alt

FS - 77 sel, 21 alt
UMO - 26 sel, 8 alt

What really leaps out at me is that there were 33 alternates for anesthesia this year - looks like we've hit the competitive swing of the cycle again. Internal medicine had the next most with 19, but that specialty accepted 28 new residents this year, compared with 17 for anesthesia.

3 years ago, I applied as an intern and just missed the cut for anesthesia - San Diego and Portsmouth took only returning GMOs, but NCC took 3 interns that year. I was one of a bare handful of alternates. Interest in anesthesia has really gone way up. I think this may be the first year in a long time (mid 90s?) that no interns were picked up straight through.

Otherwise, it looks about the same as years past. Derm took 6 of 12, ophtho took 2 of 6, ENT took 5 of 10. Most other specialties, if you're applying as a GMO, you still stand an excellent chance of getting picked up somewhere.

pgg said:
https://www-nshs.med.navy.mil/gmeapplication/secure/ResultsList.asp

Residency & GMO data:

Aero med - 4 sel NAMI, 4 alt
Anesthesia - 6 sel NMCSD, 6 sel NMCP, 5 sel NCC, 33 alt (!), 2 def sel
Derm - 4 sel NMCSD, 2 sel NCC, 6 alt, 2 def sel
ER - 8 sel NMCSD, 9 sel NMCP, 10 alt, 1 sef sel, 2 def alt
FP - 6 sel Brem, 6 sel Lejeune, 13 sel Pendleton, 12 sel Jacksonville, 6 sel Pensacola, 11 alt, 1 def sel
Int Med - 11 sel NMCSD, 9 sel NMCP, 8 sel NCC, 19 alt, 1 def sel
Neurology - 2 sel NCC, 1 def preselect 2007, 4 alt
Neurosurg - 1 sel NCC, 1 fulltime OS alt
OB/GYN - 4 sel NMCSD, 4 sel NMCP, 2 sel NCC, 3 alt
Ophth. - 2 sel NMCSD, 4 alt
Ortho - 5 sel NMCSD, 3 sel NMCP, 3 sel NCC, 3 alt, 2 def sel
Oto. - 2 sel NMCSD, 3 sel NCC, 5 alt, 1 def sel, 1 fulltime OS alt
Path - 3 sel NMCSD, 2 sel NCC, 3 alt
Peds - 5 sel NMCSD, 4 sel NMCP, 4 sel NCC, 6 alt, 2 def sel
Psych - 4 sel NMCSD, 5 sel NMCP, 3 sel NCC, 7 alt
Radiology - 8 sel NMCSD, 5 sel NMCP, 5 sel NCC, 4 alt
Surgery - 4 sel NMCSD, 4 sel NMCP, 3 sel NCC, 4 alt
Urology - 1 sel NMCSD, 2 alt, 2 fulltime OS sel, 1 fulltime OS alt

FS - 77 sel, 21 alt
UMO - 26 sel, 8 alt

What really leaps out at me is that there were 33 alternates for anesthesia this year - looks like we've hit the competitive swing of the cycle again. Internal medicine had the next most with 19, but that specialty accepted 28 new residents this year, compared with 17 for anesthesia.

3 years ago, I applied as an intern and just missed the cut for anesthesia - San Diego and Portsmouth took only returning GMOs, but NCC took 3 interns that year. I was one of a bare handful of alternates. Interest in anesthesia has really gone way up. I think this may be the first year in a long time (mid 90s?) that no interns were picked up straight through.

Otherwise, it looks about the same as years past. Derm took 6 of 12, ophtho took 2 of 6, ENT took 5 of 10. Most other specialties, if you're applying as a GMO, you still stand an excellent chance of getting picked up somewhere.

What happens if you're an alternate? Do you end up being forced into a GMO longer?

bobbyseal said:
What happens if you're an alternate? Do you end up being forced into a GMO longer?

A few alternates get spots. Since military GME lets you apply for up to two specialties, there are always a handful of people who apply for (and get) offers from more than one program. When they choose one, someone else gets their other offer.

If you don't match for a residency slot, and you didn't apply for a deferral, then yes, you get assigned as a GMO.

Could someone please post info (or a link) to the GME-1 results. Everyone on here seems to be talking about GME 2+.

Thanks,
Ensign Trajan

Trajan said:
Could someone please post info (or a link) to the GME-1 results. Everyone on here seems to be talking about GME 2+.

Thanks,
Ensign Trajan

Those numbers above ARE for the GME-1 results this year.

spang

rotatores said:
Sorry Spang...those ARE the GME-2 results...

YOU, my friend, are most correct! I stand corrected! :oops:

spang

Got my 2nd choice of medicine internship at Bethesda. 1st choice was deferment for anesthesia. I was totally expecting to get it as I had been told that 12 deferments were being granted for Anesthesia and there were only 12 HPSP students who applied for it, but when all was said and done only 8 deferments were given out.

How did they select which students would get a deferment?

I'm just venting...but now I could really use some info on the med intern year at bethesda (call schedule, rotations...)?

bigwillmd said:
How did they select which students would get a deferment?

Did you pose this question to the Specialty Leader before the board met?

Did anyone else notice the large amount of OB/gyn deferments?...and there was even a full pediatric deferment...which if you look at the GME home page it goes on about how no pediatrics deferments would be granted. There was even a 1yr ped deferment (which would really suck).

I don't think we'll ever really know how this process works.

rotatores

rotatores said:
Did anyone else notice the large amount of OB/gyn deferments?...and there was even a full pediatric deferment...which if you look at the GME home page it goes on about how no pediatrics deferments would be granted. There was even a 1yr ped deferment (which would really suck).

I don't think we'll ever really know how this process works.

rotatores

Yeah, I noticed...I also noticed that there were 4 FP deferments. Didn't know they even considered FP deferments. Goes to show that the Navy is full of surprises. Can't wait to see what happens next year when I'm in the mix!