How many LORs for these schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sara3426

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've now checked MSAR and the schools' websites, and found nothing for any of these schools. For some reason they think it's a super great idea to be cryptic. If there are any adcoms reading this: if you need more than 3, you should LET PEOPLE KNOW so they can ask for them ahead of time! jeez!

UF
USF
MCG
UChicago
Columbia
Duke
UNC
Wake
MUSC
USouth Carolina
UVA
Baylor
VCU

oh, btw, my question is: if you know how many LORs and of what type any of these schools need, could you let me know? Thanks guys. grrrr application process...

Members don't see this ad.

anyone? ..............anyone?............. bueller?

sara3426 said:
anyone? ..............anyone?............. bueller?

First, if you went to a school with a committee then your question is irrelevant, as that letter is all they need. General rule on recs, line up 3 science profs (generally 2 are required at most schools) and 2 personal refs (generally one physician you shadowed, then a PI or someone who has interacted with you substantially through activites besides just school). That will cover all but UChicago's MSTP program which asks for the most ridiculous letters ever.

Members don't see this ad :)
UF requires 5, including a peer letter

Most schools require 4? I thought it was 3.

You have to have a letter from a non-science professor at numerous schools.

Get 2 from science professors, 1 from a non-science professor, and 2 others of your choice, but only if you're certain that they're very positive evaluations. Some schools may accept a sixth later on if you have a new opportunity that you think would yield a good recommendation.